Kuban88

• Kuban88
      Kuban88
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,
      I'm James, i'm 23 years old IT student from Poland.
      I used to play low stakes sng's on PS/FTP but I got a little bored/didnt have enough time to play, so I left poker for a while. Now after several months of break I got another starting capital (@ poker770) so i decided to give it a try once more.
      Since the only 'move' i remeber is raise pf/conti-bet flop i decided to get some solid fundations from this course. *

*) Would appreciate if you'd ignore any mistakes i've made/will make
  • 2 replies
    • Kuban88
      Kuban88
      Bronze
      Lesson 1 - Homework

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Probably the biggest one is to feed my ego, by being long-term winner. The feeling that you're better than 80-90% of people playing poker would be pretty great ;D. I won't lie money is not important, because some additional $$$ would sweeten the deal nicely. Also i believe that playing poker can help you in life by making you more patient, diligent and stress resistant.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      In NL Holdem my biggest weakness is going to showdown to often. Its probably something i brought from my brief experience in limit holdem :/. The second big one is my laziness. I often have to struggle to put enough time to play poker/work on my game. Also I cant/hate play OOP so i think i bleed a lot more money from the blinds then i should.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      The tight part means, we mostly play premium hands. Hands that have pre-flop equity edge. It helps us because we often dominate our opponent's hand and it also makes our flop decisons easier. The aggressive means that we prefer bet/raise to call, because it puts more pressure on our opponents and allows them to make mistakes.It also helps us to extract maximum value from our made hands and slightly increases our winnings through semi-bluffing and conti-betting.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Don't worry about your mistakes. :)

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Studying a very important role in poker, especially if you are playing rather lower stakes. How else you can improve your game if you don't even take a look at your leaks. You just continue doing them over and over again. Therefore you have to set-up some kind of ratio like 50/50 or even 60/40;70/30 for studying as some are doing in the beginning.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.