Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $59.05
      BB (Hero):
      $54.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, J.
      3 folds, Btn raises to $1.00, SB folds, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.25) Q, 8, 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, Btn bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50.

Turn: ($5.25) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.50, Btn raises to $11.50, Hero calls $7.00.

River: ($28.25) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, Btn bets $43.05, Hero calls $40.00(All-In).

Final Pot: $111.3.
      Results follow:

shows high card king(K T).
      Hero shows two pairs, jacks and eights(8 J).

Hero wins with two pairs, jacks and eights(8 J).

Villain stats: 20/16, 37 prf from btn, 67 c-bet flop, 0 c-bet turn - 118 hands

Pre: I dont fold much in the big blind vs min raise, admittedly this would be the very bottom of my range. Too loose?

Flop: Easy x/c on flop with second pair. I noted relatively high flop cbet but 0 turn cbet. Figure I will get a free river and a cheap showdown quite often. This type of player I will sometimes float air oop so that I can bet the river after they check back the turn.

Turn: Good turn card. Seeing he doesn't cbet turn much I elect to lead here for value. When he raises here I get stubborn and call. At the time I thought maybe my line induced the raise. Maybe fold is better?

River: I x/c all in on river, purely bluff catching... fortunatly he was bluffing :f_cool:

On review I think this is a losing call. Flush got there, he is jamming all sets and maybe some better two pairs. Only thing I really beat is a pure spazy bluff or exactly K T.

Thoughts?
  • 2 replies
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      I think pre flop is way too loose. You might as well fold or re-steal since he raises from BU a lot but again he should also be the kind who folds to 3-Bet a lot else its just a fold.

On the turn I'd put him on sets, QJ two pair, other two pairs are a bit unlikely, nut flush draw, straight, OESD with KT but no other straight draws since they would only be gutshots and wouldn't raise. Even against this range which not everyone would raise turn with

Board: Q:spade: 8:diamond: 2:diamond:  J:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    39.83%  39.83%   0.00% { Jd8c }
      MP3    60.17%  60.17%   0.00% { QQ-JJ, 88, 22, KTs, QJs, T9s, AdKd, AdQd, AdJd, AdTd, Ad9d, Ad8d, Ad7d, Ad6d, Ad5d, Ad4d, Ad3d, Ad2d, KTo, QJo, T9o }

not enough equity for a shove on the turn but ok equity to call. If you had a better two pair or perhaps something like QJ you would have had very good equity to shove the turn.

If he hasn't shown much aggression on the turn recently and does it now then I think you should take him a bit seriously anyway and not do what you did do on the river.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DailyDollarPro,

Preflop: Depends a lot on your postflop advantage you consider having here, what kind of reads you have on the opponent.
      Flop: As long you went for such a Call preflop I wouldn't mind. But most likely what I'd do here is rather Check/Raise the flop with my hand rather than Check/Call on drawy board. There are too many cards which we actually don't want to see. Or do you plan to Check/Fold on blank turn card?

As played
      Turn: I like the donk here, although I am not really sure if I'd even continue without even knowing much about his raising-range. I would never expect him to raise here Qx for value. So the only hand what we beat is a bluff/semi-bluff. Might be even towards giving up my hand here, especially with the information that he usually ain't CBetting turn.

As played
      River: Now I wouldn't really expect him to jam here with sets, with them he would most likely Bet smaller cause what worse does Call him if he ships like that? While most of his raising range part contain a lot of semi-bluff hands on turn which hit on the river I might consider also folding while you don't beat that many hands.

Best Regards.