Battery replacement

• Mikus8
      Mikus8
      Gold
      Hello, so I've had this this laptop for about a year and 3 months now, and after last windows update it says that my battery may need a replacement.
      How legit is this?
      Should i be really worried about doing monster sessions or this is no big deal and I can live with this battery forever?
      Has anyone else encountered this?
  • 6 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey,

About 6 months ago mine told me i need a replacement but it carried on working as normal for a month or so then the battery would only last about 5-10 mins when i unplugged it. I carried on using it for a couple of months but always had to use it plugged in which wasn't a huge deal i usually have it plugged in anyway, then i gave in and bought a new one and everything is fine and dandy again
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      depending on the make/model of the laptop, the software battery meter may need to be reset.

The last time I had to do this, the procedure went like so:
      1. Make sure your battery is fully charged -- don't go by the meter. Leave the laptop powered off, and charge it for 12 hours.
      2. Unplug the laptop, and power it up. Use it until the battery shows critical, then log off -- but do not power off -- and let the battery drain completely.
      3. Plug the laptop in, and power it up, and let the battery charge completely.

Now the software battery meter should be calibrated.
      This has worked for me on HP/Compaq equipment.

Find a tech forum for your make and model to see if anyone there knows anything. I'm betting they will know more there than here.

The battery should last well over a year.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Kind of on the same subject here, does anybody know what is best for a laptop to sustain battery life?

I have bought my new laptop a few months ago and before have only had desk top computers.

I have been using it until the battery has gone right down and I get the warning, and then charging it back up until it's full. But I know some people only ever use theirs while plugged into the mains supply and never use their battery.

Any ideas if one way is better than the other or more harmful?
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Hi JimC6,

Top 5 tips for extending the battery life for your laptop:

1. Keep your laptop battery cool. Batteries degrade more quickly when they're hot. That means you should keep vents clear -- don't put your laptop on a fluffy pillow or a cushioned surface that will cover vents and trap heat.

2. Don't pack your laptop away in a backpack or other enclosed space when the battery is still warm, trapping the heat. A battery that's frequently hot to the touch will lose life a lot faster than a battery that isn't constantly being stressed. Worst of all: If your laptop crashes or refuses to shut off properly, the battery can get extremely hot when packed away in your bag. Check it to make sure it hasn't gotten dangerously hot while stowed away over the weekend.

3. Don't charge your laptop constantly. If you only occasionally take your laptop away from a power outlet, but leave it plugged in to charge 24/7, you're leaving your laptop in a state of perpetual charge at the 100% point -- and that is bad for the battery's long-time health.

4. If you tend to use your laptop mainly at your desk, exercise your laptop battery by running it down and recharging it once or (even better) twice a month.

5. Alternately, you might want to physically remove the laptop battery if you're using the laptop at your desk for long stretches of time. If you do remove it, don't store it in a fully charged or depleted state. It's best to store it in the middle -- between 40 and 50 percent of full charge.

I hope the above helps, for more tips with regards to extending battery life etc, please click here.

Cheers,

Mark.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      thank's for the in depth response Mark it is much appreciated.
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JimC6
      thank's for the in depth response Mark it is much appreciated.
      No worries you're welcome.

If you need anything else, please let me know by replying to this post.

Take it easy,

Mark.