Short Stacked to Winning The Tournament - Anyone?

• maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

Has anyone ever been the short stacked for the majority of a tournament? Then at the final table, you start picking up hands, and catching some lady luck against high pairs like AA, KK, QQ, etc?

I am asking this because I just finished a $3.50/18 man tournament and I was the short stack leading onto the final table with only 1.18k chips - which is really bad since the blinds were already $100 - $200.

I got lucky on some hands like my KJo vs AA and I ended up flopping a boat on the turn which made me extremely happy. I would have been pretty sad if I had aces though and it got cracked by KJo haha.

I could go on about how I out played some players on that specific table but I would feel like I would be bragging. All in all, has anyone ever make a miraculous comeback to become a force to be reckoned with?

Thanks!

Maythany B
  • 15 replies
    • TheMoment
      TheMoment
      Bronze
      this happens very often, and it happens even on big tournemants, chip leaders of 1st and 2nd day finish at really bad positions sometimes.

when you get shortstack, just play your game, once I had 20 chip stack left (1500 starting) and managed to get to 2000 to finish on bubble.
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      thats not even a tournament its a two table sit n go
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Good point, I meant both sng and MTT. Thanks for point that out!
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      I think you need to learn about randomness. If your shocked by this you gonna be calling poker rigged within the week
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      I did a pretty good Lazarus impression in a 9 man S&G once, went from < 1 bb to win :D
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      I went from starting 1500 to 1bb later on with like 4k chips, to then after another 20hands hitting the 1million mark and ended up finishing top100 for a $200 cash from a $2,20 before..

im pretty sure chip stacks dont mean anything in MTTs, it just leaves more room to call wider v shovers lol..
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Spungeh
      im pretty sure chip stacks dont mean anything in MTTs, it just leaves more room to call wider v shovers lol..
      for sure, and having no chips gives you a licence to shove any 2
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      If I thought it was rigged, I would have quit a long time ago :) .
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      In a 90 man i was down to 120 chips or so at 100-200 blind levels went to come 2nd in the tournament

And in a 2.20 6 max mtt about 2500 people i was down to 50K chips at 10K-20K blinds when 18 ppl were left
      shoved 55 got called by aa flop was a55 :P
      was the chip leader when 6 remained finished 3rd

This happens a lot of times when you said you had 1.1K chips thats not really very very short on the FT
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I moved this to Tournament discussion, where I believe it'll get better attention.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Like the others already pointed out:

It happens quite frequently in MTT's. If you play many tournaments it will happen to you from time to time.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • nickossy
      nickossy
      Basic
      This happens all the time in tournaments:) I think I won a tournament once with less than a big blind left hahaha. There is even a saying "If you hav a chip and a chair you can win" or "a chip and a chair". In fact that's the thrilling and most beautiful thing about tourney play how chip stacks change and how you have to adapt your play and how the different stacks influence everybody's play in certain situations. That's why a lot of times short stacks can get a nice deal at the end of the tournaments, sometimes getting way more than their fair share of the prize pool coz everybody knows anything can happen.
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nickossy
      This happens all the time in tournaments:) I think I won a tournament once with less than a big blind left hahaha. There is even a saying "If you hav a chip and a chair you can win" or "a chip and a chair". In fact that's the thrilling and most beautiful thing about tourney play how chip stacks change and how you have to adapt your play and how the different stacks influence everybody's play in certain situations. That's why a lot of times short stacks can get a nice deal at the end of the tournaments, sometimes getting way more than their fair share of the prize pool coz everybody knows anything can happen.
      Just a FYI, the chip and a chair comment actually comes from a player who had gotten kncoked out(or so he thought) and ended up finding a chip on the floor or on his chair or whatever the case was and was able to play again.. This person went on to win the tourney lol pretty cool story
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      With high blind levels, a short stack is always two or three double ups from being among the chip leaders, at least in turbo tourneys. So it's not unusual for say the short stack in a final table, winning the tournament.

Such is the brutality of late stage MTT play, in particular in big MTTs where you've played for hours and you're one lost hand from exiting or one or two won hands from final tabling.
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Believe it or not I had 0.25 BB heads up and I won:) 10-man though

It was beatiful :tongue: