[NL2-NL10] NL2, Zoom FR, set on flop

• londonsystem
      This hand came out form a Zoom NL2 FR.

I think my flop min-raise was giving out too much info. 3x size raise or just call might be better. The turn was an auto-play, I guess. Also, check/min-raise is a classical fish move with a monster, even though the villain failed to read it here. I tried slow-play the turn, and it worked.

Poker Stars $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $4.80
      SB: $1.50
      BB: $2.22
      Hero (): $4.60
      UTG+1: $2.10
      MP1: $2.02
      MP2: $2.00
      MP3: $1.99
      CO: $3.48

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is with 7:spade: 7:club:
      Hero calls $0.02, 1 fold, MP1 calls $0.02, 3 folds, BTN raises to $0.06, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.04, MP1 calls $0.04

I limped from early with mid pairs, and BTN opened 3bb, which is a normal size open for anyone with more than 2BI stack (usually has some idea how to play this micro-zoom) and I could not get the hand range of him yet. Limp/call by another MP1 indicates that he has some value hand.

Flop: ($0.21) 3:heart: J:diamond: 7:heart: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.04, BTN raises to $0.12, Hero raises to $0.20, MP1 calls $0.16, BTN calls $0.08

This is a good board. Probably I have the nuts at this moment, but a flush draw could be an issue. J-pair or over cards would pay me good. So I checked and MP1 bets, BTN raises small. I doubt anyone has a J-set, and do a min-raise, thinking of folding to a all-in re-raise (J-set in most cases). Both called, so I failed to reduce the field.

Turn: ($0.81) J:heart: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.44, BTN folds, Hero raises to $2.10, MP1 calls $1.32 all in

This is the ideal card for me. It made both possible J-set or flush. I doubt there was a J7x or J3x. I check, MP1 value bet again, BTN folds. I'm sure he would call with any two-pair and up, so raise.

River: ($4.33) 4:spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $4.33
      Hero shows 7s 7c (a full house, Sevens full of Jacks)
      MP1 shows Th Qh (a flush, Queen high)
      Hero wins $4.18
      (Rake: $0.15)

MP1 had Queen high flush. I have no idea why he called the raise in turn, but I see it so often. If I had a set or weaker flush made, I would have just called. I think he missed that I min-raised from oop earlier.
  • 3 replies
    • DannyG13
      I don't like open limping pre in general, turns your hand pretty face up. Usually opening 77 to 4x bb in this position.

As played, raise flop bigger to something like ~$0.36. Pot is multiway, and by min-raising you're pricing people in on a draw heavy board. Be happy to get middle set in on this board if someone shoves flop.

On turn, after you've raised flop I don't like checking turn. You have the initiative, run with it. Bet and try and get the money in, if he doesn't have a flush you're losing out on a lot of value from his hands he might check behind but may call a bet.
    • Tomaloc
      i lead out this flop, this board is not very likely to have hit BTN's range and value/protection vs fd are issues, wouldn't want to see checkbehinds
      also checkraise higher, but you know that i guess. i c/r/stackoff, i doubt JJ is not much of an issue here, he could much more easily have AJ/QQ+.

i don't think MP1 misplayed it postflop, he had odds and on turn he could often see Jx/weaker flush.
      i would probably stack off also, because your postflop line doesn't really make a lot of sense (well, it does in a way, but i expect a regular to bet hard to protect. i'd take a note that you only minraised a vulnerable monster in multiway pot)
    • veriz
      Hello londonsystem,

Flop: What's the purpose of the Check/Raise at all if you making it so small that giving any draw odds to Call. :) Make a normal raise and then even pot size.

As played
      Turn: Just Bet the turn and ship the river, you might make a lot worse hands to fold with such a play.

Best Regards.