Quintessential Human Delusion.

• Praff
      Praff
      Basic
      Simultaneously the source of our greatest strength and our greatest weakness. (for anyone not familiar with the Matrix trilogy the answer is:) HOPE.

May not be very original, I know, but let me tell you folks it makes one heck of a reason/motivation! I have finally decided I'm gonna have a Poker&Life blog despite the fact that I actually don't think I have anything remotely interesting to say(from a poker success point of view). For the time being at least.

Main reason I'm doing this - I'm hoping it'll help with my motivation to continue studying poker as I have for the past 2 months. Also I'd like to get in touch with like-minded people.

Now back to the topic at hand: hope. It is why after a long and at times painful period of convincing myself I simply don't have what it takes to play(both financially and skill-wise) I'm not giving up. It is why I have recently been dedicating most, if not all, of my free time to learning everything I possibly can about Poker. It is why I am pressing on. It is why I am writing this blog.

I will not be posting daily as I really won't have much to talk about since I'm not playing at the limits that I feel I should (severely underolled to be playing Bricks&Mortar in London right now). However I will be posting everytime I feel I've made progress, for instance after fully grasped one or more key concepts in a poker book/article/strategy forum etc.

I am playing online at the moment, NL HE 2$, but that's mainly to work on my math skills, calculating pot odds and probabilities(I suck at that btw-sorta) as I can't take that game seriously enough to play as focused as I would if I was playing live.

If you have any ideas on what I could do to improve my game, both technically and psychologically, you are more than welcomed to share them. Obviously leave comments if you want to reach out to a fellow player(although I'm not actually technically playing and probably won't be any time soon).
  • 3 replies
    • Praff
      Praff
      Basic
      Right.

So I finally feel that I've managed to get my head around Matthew Hilger and Ian Taylor's 'The Poker Mindset'. By that I mean that upon a third reading things are starting to look clearer, from a psychological perspective. A notable theoretical step forward in (what could be) my future poker career. I use the term theoretical because I'm not actually playing(sept for micro-stakes but I don't count those as real poker).

Anyway my approach to the game has indeed changed for the better, theoretically that is. Wonder if I will be able to successfully apply this new mindset when the time comes.

I have a very strong feeling that people will show very little interest in this blog as it is not backed by any sort of financial poker results(ergo not interesting at all for most poker blog readers I would imagine). Yet. My confidence is rising with every new concept I manage to understand and incorporate in my decision making, or try to at the very least.

It is for the above reason that I am addressing most of this stuff to myself. I am hoping that it will also help with keeping my motivation fresh in regards to studying Poker and improving my game. Still have major leaks.

Note to self: all quiet on the western front. And the eastern front... and the southern front... the quiet before the storm maybe? Hopefully?! Realistically no, not really. Not at all. No storms on the horizon. *sound of a lonely cricket cricketing his cricketness*.
      Also keep entries shorter and more to the point. Also time to hit the gym. Also stop forgetting to take the medicine.

rofl-copter
    • Praff
      Praff
      Basic
      Okay. Time to do some reading on the more technical side of the game. Decided to re-read Sklansky's 'No Limit Hold'em Theory and Practice'. It's getting really frustrating to read all this stuff and not have anywhere to apply it...

If anyone is stumbling across this post by accident and knows their poker literature, I would like some recommendations: good poker books, etc.

Thanks

Peace!
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      What micro limits are you playing now? Concepts can certainly be applied there as well sir! =)

Good to see somebody taking the time to understand the concepts before diving right in.