What to do with minimum 3-bets

• tomthebom28
      tomthebom28
      Bronze
      I play nl 2 on ipoker, and what pretty often happens is that I open hands like AJ or A10 UTG to 3x (6-handed) and a guy in middle position-button minraises to 10x. I think these are weird spots, as calling leads to playing without initiative oop and folding seems very weak to me. I often call, and when i don't hit the flop i c/f. I know i'm bleeding money here, so what would you guy's do in situations like this.

I'd also like to get some tips on how to play vs minimum raises after the flop, for instance when i c-bet 10 10 on a J52 board and get minraised
  • 10 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hello Tom,

What do you mean by "a guy in middle position-button minraises to 10x"?

I can understand you might refer to the people behind who have position on you (MP, CO and BU) but there's no such thing as minraise to 10x if you opened 3x. :)

If you actually mean minraise (so they make it 5bb total) I'm very inclined to call and play postflop. This is hard to go into detail though in a post.

About your second question, the answer is: it depends!

What's his flatting range pre, what's you cbetting image, what's his usual reaction to cbets. Knowing more info might make it better to check back TT there. It's impossible to give a universally valid answer apart from "It depends!".

Regards,
      Manu.
    • tomthebom28
      tomthebom28
      Bronze
      Whoops, i meant that he raised to 5 big blinds, my mistake :f_biggrin:
    • skaloon
      skaloon
      Bronze
      1. majority of the times in micro stakes - min re-raise means monster - AA or KK - sometimes AK and QQ. dunno what those players are thinking with the min-raise - they won't make anyone fold and they ain't getting any value and letting other players draw cheaply. probably they think that min-raise shows weakness and hides their hand strenght - however, it's the opposite - they reveal their hand.

this situation is a must call - however play very carefully on the flop - pretty much continue just sets, 2 pairs, flushes, straights - you can get their whole stack by simply catching a good flop for a great price.

however, if you playing AJ and the flop comes A X X. play call/fold if they show a lots of agrresion, very likely to see a AA or AK from them.

2. sometimes if the minraiser is a complete donk - this min-raise can mean anything, especially when he does it constantly. a lot of times even pair of aces with J kicker on the flop will be good here.

these is pretty much the only 2 things i have seen in micro stakes from a min-raiser. if a guy has decent VPIP and PRF - it's a monster. but if the minraiser has like 90/80 stats and you saw him constantly minraising - it can be anything.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      min4bet
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      min4bet
      exactly my thoughts
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      :facepalm:
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      "1. majority of the times in micro stakes - min re-raise means monster - AA or KK - sometimes AK and QQ."

This is wrong. I grind NL10 SH and losts of players min 3-bet 8-10% +. That range encompasses a much larger spread than AA/KK/QQ.

It would be easier to respond if you were aware of their 3-bet tendencies and general aggression. If they are making a move like this regularly and you don't like playing flops with AJ/A10 then just 4-bet. They will call with weaker hands and fold large parts of their range.

Good luck buddy
    • skaloon
      skaloon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BObamaJr

This is wrong. I grind NL10 SH and losts of players min 3-bet 8-10% +. That range encompasses a much larger spread than AA/KK/QQ.

well i should have mentioned that i'm talking about fullring nl2 + nl4/nl5

SH is ofc completely different

EDIT:

and OFC i'm an idiot who failed to read that OP is talking about SH. my bad. ignore my posts
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      People usually min 3bet because they are bad players, unfortunately this does not tell us what they have. I'm much more inclined to call a min 3bet because:

1. We are usually getting good odds to call, so they are not pricing us out of set mining for example.
      2. They are bad.

I tend to fold when I opened to steal to the blinds and have air or am OOP with a not great hand, like ATo, something like that.

Take a note when you find out what they had.
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze

2. They are bad.
      Good point buddy