making a living out of poker?

• JovanS
      JovanS
      Bronze
      I,m interested in how many players from PS play poker for living, couse almost everybody has something else going on, like university or regular job.
      How much do you earn per month? Coaches?
  • 16 replies
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      undercover i think makes like 18k+ on average a month

schnibl0r made like 200k in 1 week i think

other thn that i don't know much o yeah Thorsten made 30k in 1 month

xylere made like 10 k in 1 month with the Short stack strategy

im not very sure how much they make but i think this is close
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      yeah, but schnib also lost 240k in a few hours :D

I think most of the "high volume" players here (english community) are still studying, but a select few make enough to live by
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      It has crossed my mind several times to become a pro. I'm positive I can make a good income out of it, but how much exactly is hard to tell. I think 1500€ a month on average, or about 20€/hour certainly is doable. But, as I'm currently still studying and don't have the time to play the amount of hands a pro should play, I can't say for sure if I'd like it. I think a major downside is the lack of personal growth (apart from moving up limits, of course), so meh.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      only 20€/hr on Nl200? o_O
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      20/hour and 1500/month is only 75 hours. i believe you are not playing much less then that now.
      when you start playing with only money on your mind it might happen that you forget some stuff about poker and actualy start losing. you must always think about correct move and not about money. thats why i will never be pro :)
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      only 20€/hr on Nl200? o_O
      If you take into account that I'm talking about the absolute minimum, then yes.
    • JovanS
      JovanS
      Bronze
      This brings us to another question: how many hours does a semi-pro or pro play monthly ?
      Probably its a individual isue, but I cant play more than 3 hours (6-8 sss multitabling) a day with full concetration. How long was your longest cash table sesion?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      I played ~50hrs last month, but almost didn't play in the last 2 weeks... I guess my average (during school days) would be ~75hrs/month
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      pros on the low-mid stakes would need a lot more than 3hrs a day

i'd imagine xylere does upwards of 6hr/day
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      I think that going pro is a mistake for most people. First of all you are going to hate it, just get that fact straight that you will hate poker. So decide whether you hate your job more than you will hate poker after playing it everyday to win, win, win.....

I have seen a lot of interviews and people don't look happy even after turning a successful pro, they write books, join some forums and stuff because it gets boring!

You can definitely play poker part time at a rate of 4 hrs/day, which should be more than enough to make good money and enjoy poker.

I am ignoring all other facts like the hard work it is going to take, time, stress, downswings and stuff.

Play a lot of poker, but don't make it a job! That is my opinion and it might be correct for someone else to go pro..... but generally for 99% cases I am right.
    • drachdudek
      drachdudek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by arjun2001
      I think that going pro is a mistake for most people. First of all you are going to hate it, just get that fact straight that you will hate poker. So decide whether you hate your job more than you will hate poker after playing it everyday to win, win, win.....

I have seen a lot of interviews and people don't look happy even after turning a successful pro, they write books, join some forums and stuff because it gets boring!

You can definitely play poker part time at a rate of 4 hrs/day, which should be more than enough to make good money and enjoy poker.

I am ignoring all other facts like the hard work it is going to take, time, stress, downswings and stuff.

Play a lot of poker, but don't make it a job! That is my opinion and it might be correct for someone else to go pro..... but generall for 99% cases I am right.
      LOL:) , excellent thinking, i sign to this post!
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Uhh, nice post ;)
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      Yes... i believe 99% of the people , when given a choice between working 8 hours a day under a retarded boss and making x money , and playing poker whenever they feel like it , from their home , for 10x+ money , would pick the first one.
    • Prabhatallin
      Prabhatallin
      Platinum
      "Yes... i believe 99% of the people , when given a choice between working 8 hours a day under a retarded boss and making x money , and playing poker whenever they feel like it , from their home , for 10x+ money , would pick the first one."

+1
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by undercover82
      Yes... i believe 99% of the people , when given a choice between working 8 hours a day under a retarded boss and making x money , and playing poker whenever they feel like it , from their home , for 10x+ money , would pick the first one.
      some people need the regularity and guaranteed income of a job, even if it pays much less.. whether it's because of mental "weakness" (not withstanding the swings) or just because they like to have regularity in their lives, they'll take job+ part time poker over full-time poker... ok, 99% of big winners is a stretch, but still, a lot of good, winning players won't become full-time pros
    • fjdn
      fjdn
      Bronze
      I guess it also gives more flexibility ... if ure a good player and you also got another option - "normal fulltime job" 8h and regualar payment - it is easier to get over a downperiod cause ure not bound to it like when ure full time into poker and you have to play cause you got to make a living of something ...

So i would say it is best if you play in your free time, when ever you want and feel like it, and make some extra money ...