dissecting whether to call or fold a hand from a PLO quiz.

• conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Hi, i'm currently looking at a 6 max PLO quiz from somewhere and trying to make my mind up what I would do in the situation and why, reason being Ive been slow to really pickup on PLO as a format, its not coming natural to me :|

The situation is as below. This is from a quiz, I did not play this hand...:

You have A:diamond: K:heart: J:club: 8:diamond: in the SB. MP opens for $21. You re-raise to $69.

Flop is K:club: T:club: 5:heart: . You bet $118. MP raises pot

What's your play?

[ ] FOLD
      [ ] CALL
      [ ] ALL-IN

my answer and reasoning:

from the bet sizing used I'm guess this is PLO600.

You have A:diamond: K:heart: J:club: 8:diamond: in the SB. MP opens for $21. You re-raise to $69.

We have Top pair top kicker with some straight blockers. It seems like Pot contains $147 at present. Board texture is heavy and somewhat dynamic as turncard can change our equity significantly.

Flop is K:club: T:club: 5:heart: . You bet $118 MP raises pot

we are betting $118 into around $265. MP raising is to around $501.
      So our decision is whether or not we want to call $383 more to potentially win a pot of $1040 or so?

if this was an allin situation I would need 38% equity to call. I'm pretty sure I don't have that, and I doubt I can improve enough to continue so I think folding is the best option. (Is this a viable yardstick or what should I be using?)

What's your play?

[X] FOLD
      [ ] CALL
      [ ] ALL-IN

I'm going to be doing this a few times every week, perhaps 10-20 hands a week, maybe more when i'm bored. Is this is a good way to get a feel for PLO, or are there any better ways to learn how to adjust to the pot limit structure besides playing?

will probably post a few, however don't wanna spam so we shall see ;)
  • 4 replies
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I hate quizzes. As they rarely give any information on opponent and dynamics. So every time the answer is based on "standard line", which I really really really hate. Mainly for the reason that this "standard line" is different against different opponents. In most situations hero's line is different against lag, tag, rock or calling station.

But if we live in a vacuum, where we just drop down to a situation without any reads or info, then we can think these quizzes. ;)

I suppose the idea is not to think if that 3bet preflop is good or not? So I might just skip that.

On flop, it's an easy fold. Without any dynamics villain is going to think at the flop "how am I doing against aces?". Of course PLO600 player's 3bet from the blinds is a lot more than aces, but that is the starting point for most players thought process. And as he raises, he definitely can beat aces or have at least good equity against them. And as hero has only TPTK and a gutshot to flushdraw board, I can't really see how opponent could have any hand that hero is well ahead. In the best case scenario hero is flipping 50/50 and in the worst case scenario hero is drawing almost dead.

We have no idea of the stack sizes, of course if hero has less than the pot size raise, it changes stuff. But then again, even if hero has 600 (both are 100bb deep) and villain raises to 498, hero would need to shove for 413 more (can't just call) which requires 35% equity. If hero doesn't think that he has that equity against opponent's raise range, why would he cbet 118 into pot of 144?

So as you can see, those quizzes have a lot more questions than desired answers. In that situation hero needs to know the answer to the question before he makes the cbet.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      On the flop it's a fold which is why it's an even easier fold preflop. Even when you hit the flop you still have to fold because you haven't hit it well enough. :f_biggrin: Why you would ever 3 bet this garbage from the Small Blind is ridiculous and whoever wrote this needs a slap.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      its a pokerstrategy.com affilliate :D
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Wow I was really tired last night, I thought the hand was unsuited (which is why I thought it's a super clear fold). I actually don't mind a preflop call with AKJ8 with a suited ace, but the 3 bet preflop is quite bad still I feel.