Software noob needing help

• Topdog2904
      Topdog2904
      Bronze
      Hey,

I am thinking about having a grind in the summer and want to do a bit of research into some SNG software. I have never used any software with poker and just wondering what it gives me and what my options are. If someone would take the time to explain this to me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys
  • 10 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi Topdog2904,

I've moved your thread to a more relevant board, hope you don't mind :)

Hopefully we can get you some answers.

Best regards,
      Gary
    • Topdog2904
      Topdog2904
      Bronze
      I thought the software section was a good place to put it, but I don't mind where it is.

Thanks for helping me out :)
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, Topdog2904!

First post and it's about how to improve! Hope that leads you into good direction.

Now about SnG software:

SnGwizard- Very useful tool, a must for every serious grinder. It helps you improve your late game strategy. Most of the chips we gain are during the push/fold stage and this program will help you understand better when to fold, when to push, when to call, overcall, ICM in general.

ICM trainer-our free tool you can find on the site by clicking on Poker Tools will also help you master ICM model- late game strategy or push/fold stage in other words. Great for beginners. Great to start with.

Table Ninja is a tool that provides fully customizable hotkeys. It's great for multitablers, who want to put in a greater volume and increase their hourly rate.

OngBettor and Ongame Cat - I believe are similar tools that are used for ongame's network.

ICM Explorer- another useful tool programmed by our coach and video producer- Douglas Zare Pzhon. You can use ICM explorer to check:
      •How much equity do you gain when a player is eliminated?
      •What chance do you need to win in order to call a bet?
      •How much equity do you need to bet for value?
      •How much equity do you need against marginal hands to prefer extra action over stealing the blinds?
      •How often does a pure bluff need to succeed?
      •How often does a semibluff need to succeed, or what chance do you need to win after you are called?

SnG Solver- This is an equity calculator and pre-flop strategy anaylzer for single-table poker tournaments and the final tables of larger multi-table tournaments. It's advantage is that it makes future game simulations easier. You can think few moves ahead f.e. because you see how folding/pushing etc will impact your future situation in the tournament.

The PokerStrategy.com Equilab- another great tool you can download free from our site. It allows you to improve your game by calculating your chances of winning against various opponents in different situations. There is also scenario analyzer that is helpful in postflop situations. It's not strictly a SnG software, but it's a must for every serious player. You need to know how your hand does vs somebody elses range, or what equity a certain range has vs another etc.

Holdem Manager- This is a tracking software. It has a HUD that shows your opponent stats-style of play, if you can put this way. You can also use it to analyze your game as it records every hand that you play. And more, much more than this. It's one of the most important software programs by all means imo.

Cheers!
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      ^ Wow.

Awesome Post! :pokerface:
    • Topdog2904
      Topdog2904
      Bronze
      Hello kurrkabin,

Thanks for writing such a great post, that is a lot of help and I really appreciate the time you took to write it :)

I have most of the free stuff already, but will definitely download some of the other stuff you have listed which is on this website.

I'll go have a look at some of the other stuff you have listed too. Again, thanks for such an in depth post, my question has definitely been answered

Andy
    • Topdog2904
      Topdog2904
      Bronze
      Had a little look at each piece of software suggested above and considering HM2 (I am a little wary of spending too much on software)

Is it actually feasible to check a players stats whilst playing a SnG (with HM2)?
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Thank you, guys!

My personal advice will be to post hands in our hand evaluation forums, watch all the vids available for your status, read the articles. Print push/fold chart from our strategy section. Install ICM trainer and get a better knowledge/feeling of how to play the push/fold stage. That should be enough to beat the micros. Once you do that, once you feel the need/will to become very serious about poker and consider it a good possible source of income, you have to invest in it, so it can develop. Software is a part of this investment. Rest is time, dedication, discipline, studying.

Yes, it's feasible and very important to check your opponents stats while playing. It takes time to get used to it and extract the max value from the info, but once you do that- it will be a big help. There are free trial periods for both HEM2 and SnG wizard, so you can just use the program, see how it fits your needs.

As a beginner, I assume you won't be playing many tables at a time, so you can spend more attention to what's going at the tables without a poker tracking software. However, it's not only the HUD that HM is good for, so it's the way to go sooner or later imo. I think I bought mine like 1 or 2 months after I started with SnGs.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Topdog2904
      Hello kurrkabin,

Thanks for writing such a great post, that is a lot of help and I really appreciate the time you took to write it :)

I have most of the free stuff already, but will definitely download some of the other stuff you have listed which is on this website.

I'll go have a look at some of the other stuff you have listed too. Again, thanks for such an in depth post, my question has definitely been answered

Andy
      +1 epic post!
    • Topdog2904
      Topdog2904
      Bronze
      I'm not a beginner to poker really. I have played for about 2 years, although not many SnG's during this time. I understand the charts and the correct pushes to make though (ICM light was easy to pass and have had success with the ICM trainer).

My plan was to take advantage of a deposit bonus for 2 months as well as VIP programs etc. I have calculated a possible 60% rakeback (possibly more) if I play 20 $5.50 games per day (maybe move on to $11). So to this end, my deposit was going to be around $600 (which reprsents my poker winnings thus far) and really go for a grind.

So I am going to be buying in for roughly $6600 dollars over my intended grind. So, if HM2 allows me to achieve an extra 1% ROI, it was definitely worth the purchase. In fact, if it gives me the smallest percentage extra, it will be worth it for the future as I will surely play again.

My other main reason for buying some software is I am easily comfortable with 2 or 3 tables, but when it gets to 4 or 6, I can't manage to get many reads on opponents.

I am a university Maths student, so have exams soon. Last exam is on the 1st June. So the plan is to improve as much as I can in June, then deposit for a grind in July and August.

The above is just a little bit of background information. Again, thanks for all the advice you have given me. A month free trial would be perfect for me :)

Also, I have the $50 starting capital so will hopefully be able to have a little practice grind with the software at the $0.60 SnGs
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Good luck once again with your SnG journey. Software is there to help you and it's the way to go ITLR imo.

I will just ask you not to discuss rakeb deals in public forums that are not linked with our site.

Thanks for the understanding.

Cheers!