Pep Guardiola: a true genius

• Hopey
      Hopey
      Bronze
      I think a reasonable question, from those who know little about football in the last 4 years, is why a thread about Pep Guardiola should feature in a poker forum. But I also think that anyone who seriously asks that will know little about football in the last 4 years.

I feel that Pep Guardiola needs to be acknowledged, because football is as culturally significant (if not more so) as music, art or other endeavours that humanity assigns itself to.

I feel Guardiola is also particularly relevant to poker players, he knew his game to the highest level, he studied it to the highest level and he loved it as much as anyone ever.

Pep at Barcelona was a man who could balance his long standing passion for the team with rational and reasonable thought process; but also allow his passion to assist in his goals. In this respect he is a man to follow in all walks of life.

In the same way if some of the poker players who bring thousands to the game were to retire we would all be less off; we are worse of in football because this genius has ceased to contribute.

Hopefully it is "for now" and he will come back somewhere else (and stronger) but if not then the memory will be fantastic. If I achieved half of what Pep achieved, in his pursuits in his field, then I would consider myself a success.

There is little I can say as a salute to a man who many regard as a master, except to say that those who do not regard him likewise have missed out.

I hope that you come back soon Pep. If you do not then the hours of entertainment you gave me cast your inferiors in a harsh light, you truly opened my eyes to another alternative and I think that it is something I will look for in all walks of life forever.

I feel like my generation has lost their mona lisa.

Thank you again

Pep Guardiola

Post your memories, for those of us that saw the team in the same way, we may as well revel in the brilliance.
  • 26 replies
    • pswyatt
      pswyatt
      Bronze
      Hey Hopey,

Great post and I'm sure we have many poker / football fans amoung us! :) We also have a Sports Banter thread here which may interst you.

He will be missed and I'm sure he will be back at some point. Whether that will be at a Spanish club, international or even another European club will be interesting.

As you say, achieve a little of his success then you're moving in the right direction. After all, 13 trophies including 3 La Liga titles and 2 Champions Leagues in just over 4 years is a fantastic achievement.

Now the question is, do you think he will be any good at poker!? ;)

All the best,
      Darren
    • boboistina
      boboistina
      Bronze
      From a football fan who really dislikes Barca and who was really wishing for them to go out, i
      can say hats off to mr. Guardiola.

He won so many trophies in so few years, and he deserves only praises, even from a Barcelona hater like myself. Hope he's back soon at helm of some other club or maybe a national team, and no doubt he will be because a successful coach like him cant stay unemployed for long.
    • Gerovit
      Gerovit
      Bronze
      He will be new Spain national team coach after euro 2012!
      Wanna bet anyone :f_cool:
    • pswyatt
      pswyatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerovit
      He will be new Spain national team coach after euro 2012!
      Wanna bet anyone :f_cool:
      I was thinking the same.....can't image you would get good odds! :)
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Alex Ferguson is better :f_p:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      Alex Ferguson is better :f_p:
      :rage: :facepalm: :megusta: :rage:
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      :coolface:
    • Solidius
      Solidius
      Bronze
      He changed the way football is played.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      He made football, football again. IMO.
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      He's a great manager, but he's no Benitez..
    • pswyatt
      pswyatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MarkQuick
      Thankfully! :coolface:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      #notsureifserious!

Made me chuckle though :D
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      #notsureifserious!

Made me chuckle though :D
      I'm deadly serious, who can forget his 'fact' tirade against Fergie?

For that alone he should be revered throughout the world of Football! Not to mention his managerial record:

Player:

Tercera División Winner (1): 1981–82

Manager:

Real Madrid U-19s

Spain U-19 League (1): 1993
      Spain U-19 Cup (2): 1991, 1993

Extremadura

Segunda División Promotion (1): 1997–98

Tenerife

Segunda División (1): 2000–01

Valencia

La Liga (2): 2001–02, 2003–04
      UEFA Cup (1): 2003–04

Liverpool

UEFA Champions League (1): 2004–05
      FA Cup (1): 2005–06
      FA Community Shield (1): 2006
      UEFA Super Cup (1): 2005

Internazionale

Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2010
      FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2010

Individual awards

Don Balón Award (1): 2001–02
      UEFA Manager of the Year (2): 2003–04, 2004–05
      FA Premier League Manager of the Month (5): November 2005, December 2005, January 2007, October 2008, March 2009

When Pep does the business in a league that isn't the sunshine equivalent of the SPL, I'll take him seriously, until then viva Rafa!!
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      @Mark: A year vs Mourinho = a lifetime for Pep imo.. Means he had 2 lifetimes at least :D

He did great things and for sure he is a great person overall but in order to say he is a genius in football he needs to prove himself without the top 3 players in the world that he coached since youth and especially in a different environment since La Liga was his home and proved he knows it.

For example, build a team at Chelsea, Inter, AS Roma, City, etc. ,win some trophies in other countries, with other teams.

I think that for now, Mourinho is the best manager in the world, no competition. If you want to win, you get Mourinho, easy as that. Others win here and there.. he wins everywhere.
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16

I think that for now, Mourinho is the best manager in the world, no competition. If you want to win, you get Mourinho, easy as that. Others win here and there.. he wins everywhere.
      True story bro! He may not be liked, his teams may not be the most pleasing on the eye, but he's a winner and that's all that counts in sport.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze

True story bro! He may not be liked, his teams may not be the most pleasing on the eye, but he's a winner and that's all that counts in sport.
      Well, with Real Madrid he built a scoring machine and they are actually pleasant to watch.

Imo, he is not liked by his opponents because apart from being tough to beat he also plays mind games.. if you are a fan of any of his teams you probably love him!

Pep, on the other hand, is a more likeable person and it would be nice for him to prove that being nice/likeable can also bring you victories and prove not just Mourinho's way works everywhere.
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze

Well, with Real Madrid he built a scoring machine and they are actually pleasant to watch.

Imo, he is not liked by his opponents because apart from being tough to beat he also plays mind games.. if you are a fan of any of his teams you probably love him!

Pep, on the other hand, is a more likeable person and it would be nice for him to prove that being nice/likeable can also bring you victories and prove not just Mourinho's way works everywhere.
      Madrid may be a goal scoring machine, but their theatrics coupled with their malevolent behaviour, is a trademark of Mourinho and not the most aesthetic of traits.

He sends his teams out to win by any means necessary. I for one, would have loved to have seen him appointed as England manager, instead the FA settled for someone who will say the right things and not ruffle any feathers:

Roy Hodgson Appointed as New England Manager by the FA.
    • DannyG13
      DannyG13
      Bronze
      To be fair I don't think Mourinho was even an option for England manager. Why go from one of (if not, the) top jobs in the world to the equivelant of career suicide. Would have loved to seen him as England boss though don't get me wrong, but need to be realistic :D

Also not all that difficult to build a scoring machine of a team when you've got hundreds of millions of euro worth of talent at your disposable and arguably the best attacking options and depth in club football. I think what he did at Inter was much more impressive than Real. Look at Inter now without him!
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DannyG13
      To be fair I don't think Mourinho was even an option for England manager. Why go from one of (if not, the) top jobs in the world to the equivelant of career suicide. Would have loved to seen him as England boss though don't get me wrong, but need to be realistic :D

Also not all that difficult to build a scoring machine of a team when you've got hundreds of millions of euro worth of talent at your disposable and arguably the best attacking options and depth in club football. I think what he did at Inter was much more impressive than Real. Look at Inter now without him!
      I'm not so sure, would he have turned down the England role if the money was right? I know he would cost more than Cappello, but he's already stated his love for English football and that he has; 'unfinished business' in England. Failing Mourinho, I would have gone after Wenger.