Broken Dreams

• martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      Has anyone else in here realized that they suck at poker?

Its a bitter pill to swallow, but how many of us have admitted to ourselves that we will never be poker pros? We will never be highstakes ballers, and we will never acheive anything worthwhile in this game.

We might, at best, be able to grind out some meager existence lived by the glow of the pc screen, subject to variance and devoid of any real contribution to society or anyone else for that matter.

How many of us have realized that moneymaker is a myth and that poker is a broken dream?
  • 202 replies
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Platinum
      I do. I play poker just for fun.
    • martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      whats fun about loosing money?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by martiangoblin

Its a bitter pill to swallow, but how many of us have admitted to ourselves that we will never be poker pros? We will never be highstakes ballers, and we will never acheive anything worthwhile in this game.
      I run for fun. I will never be an Olympian.
      I play volleyball for fun. I enjoy myself immensely -- but I am not all that good -- and I'm getting worse as I get older.
      I hike, I swim and I'll never be any good at those either.

I don't bowl any more. I was reasonably good -- it just wasn't much fun any more.
      I've never golfed -- it doesn't look like it would ever be any fun.

My point is that I don't really care if I suck at poker -- I am improving all the time. I am learning the game, and learning about myself -- growing as a player. Most importantly, it is fun.

If you don't enjoy it don't do it.
      If you do enjoy it, then take the steps necessary to become good.

What do you do to earn a living?
      Do you enjoy that?
      If not, find another career.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

I run for fun. I will never be an Olympian.
      I play volleyball for fun. I enjoy myself immensely -- but I am not all that good -- and I'm getting worse as I get older.
      I hike, I swim and I'll never be any good at those either.

I don't bowl any more. I was reasonably good -- it just wasn't much fun any more.
      I've never golfed -- it doesn't look like it would ever be any fun.

My point is that I don't really care if I suck at poker -- I am improving all the time. I am learning the game, and learning about myself -- growing as a player. Most importantly, it is fun.

If you don't enjoy it don't do it.
      If you do enjoy it, then take the steps necessary to become good.

Do you enjoy that?
      Wow, what a post!
    • nookurk
      nookurk
      Basic
      I haven't played poker seriously in years. I have discovered that I do not profit at NL Holdem in ring games with more than 4 players. I do well at NL heads up but haven't put the amount of hand in heads up to see if I would tilt off rolls.

I excel at Stud Cash games but am susceptible to tilt.

I excel at HORSE and Stud Tournaments.

Overall, a losing player most likely because of tilt and poor game selection.

I had much more enjoyment when I disabled cash games and just played tournaments.

Point being - Find out what your good at and play it. If you suck at everything then just play $1 tournaments for enjoyment.....

First Post BTW hope I didn't waste it!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by nookurk
      I haven't played poker seriously in years. I have discovered that I do not profit at NL Holdem in ring games with more than 4 players. I do well at NL heads up but haven't put the amount of hand in heads up to see if I would tilt off rolls.

I excel at Stud Cash games but am susceptible to tilt.

I excel at HORSE and Stud Tournaments.

Overall, a losing player most likely because of tilt and poor game selection.

I had much more enjoyment when I disabled cash games and just played tournaments.

Point being - Find out what your good at and play it. If you suck at everything then just play $1 tournaments for enjoyment.....

First Post BTW hope I didn't waste it!
      Certianly not wasted and can only agree with your post.

Welcome to the community!

Finding the game you enjoy the most is definitely very, very important. If you find yourself not enjoying the game for any reason then definitely take a break. Not necessarily forever, be it a week/month etc.

I don't know how many times I've stopped playing in the past but I always get lured back in :)
    • martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Do you enjoy that?
      Nothing... i have no career and no future, and there is nothing that i enjoy.
    • mihaiee
      mihaiee
      Bronze
      this is a bullshit industry with bullshit people
      who say losing money is fun is a deepshit end of story
    • martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      and fools like me eat up that bullshit. and i write that as im trolling my own thread looking for attention.

im fucking pathetic
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Guys,

Let's keep it civil now please :)

Regards,
      Gary
    • martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Guys,

Let's keep it civil now please :)

Regards,
      Gary
      What are you talking about?
    • martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      No one here has answered my OP question. hows that for civil?
    • onmybike
      onmybike
      Black

We might, at best, be able to grind out some meager existence lived by the glow of the pc screen, subject to variance and devoid of any real contribution to society or anyone else for that matter.

How many of us have realized that moneymaker is a myth and that poker is a broken dream?
      No one here has answered my OP question. hows that for civil?
      the answer for me: not yet
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      I believe there has been a few good suggestions in this thread.

The caution wasn't just addressed to you, it was to everyone (hence the "guys" mention)

I really don't like your tone though and I suggest you change it a little.

Regards,
      Gary
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Yes, not everyone is going to be a winner. This is obvious. Same applies to everything though. There can't be 20 winners in the English Premier League for example.

To be the best, you have to work extremely hard, you have to be mentally and physically strong. Some people don't have that in them.

The only way to turn it around is to work, work, work.
    • burak220
      burak220
      Bronze
      "Life's hard, It's even harder if you're stupid."
    • martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Yes, not everyone is going to be a winner. This is obvious. Same applies to everything though. There can't be 20 winners in the English Premier League for example.
      Thats exactly the point i was trying to make. In a zero sum game there are winners and loosers, and how many of us have realized that we are loosers?

And no amount of work will turn a born looser into a winner.
    • martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by burak220
      "Life's hard, It's even harder if you're stupid."
      Wrong. Life is easy for stupid people because they inherently lack the insight necessary to find fault with themselves.

Ignorance is bliss. And luck aint a learned skill.
    • Lukasz40i4
      Lukasz40i4
      Gold
      With poker is like with everything in life - there are always people who easily achieve what they want while others have to put a lot of time to keep up with them. One person need to learn 2 hours to pass an exam, while the other has to spend the whole week.

The same situation is in poker. But I believe, that if you work hard enough, you can achieve anything you want. I know a lot of people who are not intelligent at all, but are working hard and have better grades than me

The truth is, that it also depends on your mindset a lot.
      I am winning player, but when I have a long loosing streak I am starting to think if what I achieve in poker is because of my skills or just some sick upswing.

Right now I am up 20k+ this year, so currently I believe I'm a poker god :f_cool:

My point is - even if you are not talented in poker, hard work can help you win with others. Maybe not at high stakes, but something like nl100-200 is possible for everyone. It depends on you, whether you decide to put a lot of hours into getting better or not.

But, to be honest, we all love poker because it is an easy and quite pleasant way of earning money. If I had to learn a lot to get some reasonable amounts of money, probably I would not play poker anymore and focus entirely on my university education. WE WONT PLAY POKER THE WHOLE LIFE.