Improving Hand Reading

• 16 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hey again kruger32,

You should definitely check out our software section for all our available training software and such

Hope this helps,
      Gary
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Thanks again Gary.
      You guys answer questions really fast in this forum.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi Kruger32

Thursday I was talking to someone who reviewed a video of mine when I was playing. He advised me to work on my hand reading skills as well! He told me that when I wasn't in a hand I should look at the tables and put ppl on ranges. Just keep training it when you have some time because later on it will be very important when you climb the stakes!

Best of luck on the tables!

RasTweet
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      My hand reading skills are ............ he has got nothing, time to shove :f_eek: then it turns out he did have something and takes my chips.

Damnnnnnnnnnn you hand reading skills :f_p:
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      My hand reading skills are ............ he has got nothing, time to shove :f_eek: then it turns out he did have something and takes my chips.

:f_biggrin: +1 :f_biggrin:

Everyone always bluffs in my mind! :D
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by RasTweet

:f_biggrin: +1 :f_biggrin:

Everyone always bluffs in my mind! :D
      +1 mirrion!
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      I've found out that hand reading is more effective in SNGs than Cash Games in the micros.
      Now don't get me wrong. Of course hand reading is very important. But in cash games it feels as if everyone is ALWAYS bluffing. People play RANDOM hands and are very difficult to predict. (Random like shoving all in on a 789 suited multiway board with A9o)

However in the SNGs once 5 players are left in a 10 man game. Everyone starts to play tighter and hand reading become fun and thrilling. Putting an opponent in a range (when they shove all-in) and finding out your range was right is always such an awesome feeling.

However I do put opponents in the wrong range frequently, and I always wonder if it was because they deviated from normal play because they were bored (fishes can't play tight for too long) of playing tight and tried to make a bluff OR I was reading incorrectly.

Any thoughts you guys?

And do you guys know any software that allows you to mark opponents hand (as you're playing) into a range or at least take a note on each hand so later I can review hands ranges that I guessed incorrectly and work on them.
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze

Yeah micros are like that. Drives me insane.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4.73
      BB:
      $4.12

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8:heart: , 8:club:
      7 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, BB raises to $0.36, Hero calls $0.24.

Flop: ($0.72) 9:heart: , 7:club: , 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.54, Hero calls $0.54.

Turn: ($1.80) Q:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks.

River: ($1.80) T:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks.

Final Pot: $1.80

Results follow :
      Hero shows a pair of eights (8h 8c)
      BB shows (Ad Ks)

Hero wins with a pair of eights (8h 8c)

I know I played this hand bad and should have folded on the flop after his bet but that's not the point. Consider reading his hand. Pre flop I thought maybe this guy is defending is blind. On flop I thought "Maybe this guy has AA,KK,QQ,TT and if I hit a set or a straight I can get all his chips. He definitely doesn't have a AKs, or AQ he would have folded when he didn't connect with the flop. And it makes no sense at all to bet that big with just a broadway" And guess what : he did have AK. I was like WTF!!! Too bad I was scared and tried to keep the pot small.
      Screw you Hand Reading in the Micros!
      OMG!!!
      Needless to say I started a new thread in pokerstrategy about hand reading after this hand! :f_biggrin:
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Before someone comes and suggest this be moved to "Hand Analysis Part of the forum" I want to say something : Please read the whole thread first!
    • lanshan75
      lanshan75
      Basic
      Thank you for your post, it is really useful for me.
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kruger32

Yeah micros are like that. Drives me insane.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4.73
      BB:
      $4.12

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8:heart: , 8:club:
      7 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, BB raises to $0.36, Hero calls $0.24.

Flop: ($0.72) 9:heart: , 7:club: , 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.54, Hero calls $0.54.

Turn: ($1.80) Q:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks.

River: ($1.80) T:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks.

Final Pot: $1.80

Results follow :
      Hero shows a pair of eights (8h 8c)
      BB shows (Ad Ks)

Hero wins with a pair of eights (8h 8c)

I know I played this hand bad and should have folded on the flop after his bet but that's not the point. Consider reading his hand. Pre flop I thought maybe this guy is defending is blind. On flop I thought "Maybe this guy has AA,KK,QQ,TT and if I hit a set or a straight I can get all his chips. He definitely doesn't have a AKs, or AQ he would have folded when he didn't connect with the flop. And it makes no sense at all to bet that big with just a broadway" And guess what : he did have AK. I was like WTF!!! Too bad I was scared and tried to keep the pot small.
      Screw you Hand Reading in the Micros!
      OMG!!!
      Needless to say I started a new thread in pokerstrategy about hand reading after this hand! :f_biggrin:
      Not sure what's wrong with villain's play (apart from a Cbet a bit big) nor with your play. Pretty std hand imo.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      To answer to OP:

Hand reading is something extremely important. One can hand read at any level including the micros.
      There is no such a thing as "I am playing NL2 I can't hand read bc ppl are random". If ppl are wide just give them a wide range.

I don't think there is any specific software to get better at hand reading. Do it whenever you play a hand. When you play give villain a range on each street depending on his actions, his tendencies, reads etc...

That's it! ofc easier said than done!
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      Hi Kruger32

Thursday I was talking to someone who reviewed a video of mine when I was playing. He advised me to work on my hand reading skills as well! He told me that when I wasn't in a hand I should look at the tables and put ppl on ranges. Just keep training it when you have some time because later on it will be very important when you climb the stakes!

Best of luck on the tables!

RasTweet
      Yeah hand reading is definitley a important skill for higher stakes!
      But I am having problems in micro stakes; people just play too random sometimes.
      Or is it that I'm not skilled enough?
      What I do on the tables : First I sit out and watch the game for 10 hands or so. (I know its really small size for a smaple but whatever) I then color code them as All-in maniac, Calling Station, Donk etc. Then as I start playing I keep refining my notes. However I still keeping making big errors. After realizing my errors I adjust my notes accordingly.
      This is how I train in the tables. Off the tables : nothing...

How do you train off the tables? Do you analyze your databases or something?

I want to get into HUSNG and hand reading is very very important for HU play. (In fact many argue it is completely hand reading and adjusting accordingly) And I hate the fact I suck at it. I want to improve because I want HU to be my primary game. Any kind of help would be appreciated. Even little tips.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Kruger32!

Well still on the micro's you can put people on ranges! When playing full ring it's easier then short handed or HU.

I think looking at the table before you start is +EV. But I wouldn't tag people after only 10 hands. Like you said it's a small sample size and they might be tilting or trying something fancy and then your notes won't be accurate enough.

To train your hand reading skills offline you could evaluate some hands in our hand evaluation forums. Try to put people on ranges and even reply how you would play the hand. I wouldn't evaluate hands that have been done by a professional judge. Rather do some new hands and then afterwards look what the judge said.

RasTweet
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dublimax
      There is no such a thing as "I am playing NL2 I can't hand read bc ppl are random". If ppl are wide just give them a wide range.
      Hey Dublimax,
      Your post is the answer I was looking for!
      If your hand reading is wild, its not because people are random (well they are random but its not the reason) ; its because the hand range wasn't accurate.
      Thanks you!

Cheers!
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Thanks RasTweet!