Bankroll for MTTs?(changing cg to mtt)

• xoshix33
      xoshix33
      Bronze
      Well hi :)
      so i was thiking my bankroll might be enough for MTTs
      i just got around 600$.
      up untill now i was playing sh cash.
      now if id like to move to MTTs (FR/ some SH).
      what should i know?
      and what should the buyin lvl i play in be?
      how do i consider Rebuy Mtts?
      btw iam not so interested in the 180man.. just the bigger ones.
      which buyin lvl should i play? how much buyins should i have?
  • 8 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hi xoshix,

in general you should have 200 average Buyins or more for most MTT's. With 600$ you should play an ABI of 3$. Means you can play some 5$ MTT's if you play some for 1$ as well. Still, 200 ABI are an aggressive BRM. You might encounter big swings and will have to adept your Buyins quite frequently. I strongly recommend a more defensive BRM for Stars MTT's since they have so many runners pushing the variance extremly. If you play 180men (I know - you don't want to - but they are great to build up your BR) 150 BI's should be sufficient. The 2,5$ 180men Turbo would be the perfect way to start. Especially because you learn a lot about playing short stacks, ICM and late game. Exactly the things that most cashgamers aren't familiar with.

For rebuy MTT's you should count with 5 to 7 BI's (51 to 71$ for 11$ Rebuy f.e.). If you feel like you need less or more you should redo the maths.

What should you know?
      Well - a lot actually. Since I don't know anything about your skill level I recommend a look into our articles and videos.

If you have further questions feel free to ask.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • xoshix33
      xoshix33
      Bronze
      thank for the comment.
      hmm i guess i should start out with 180men(should it be turbo?).
      before i start out playing 180men, should i practice 9man turbos for a little bit?
      ive played them before i moved to cash games.
      and should i also try 45/90 before going to 180?
      btw there not so much info about mtt in strategy articles.
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      2.50 180's 1/2$ mtt's

dont play 90's less roi and they wont help your mtt game as much as 180's

if you dont like turbos (you should) you can start with the 4.50's a little out of br but 80% roi is sustainable in them so you should be ok
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      There are 18 articles featuring mtt content atm. Some of them are really good and important to read. For example The M-Factor According to Dan Harrington.

If you read them all you should know about most basics. Afterwards you can have a look at the videos which will teach you further strategies.

I think it would be a great idea to start with MTSNG's. I would suggest the 2,5$ Turbo 180's as well if your bankroll is at least at 400$ (which it is obv).
      Why Turbo?
      Because you will learn the things that you never learned at cashgame. Playing low stacks, learning pushing and calling ranges as well as late game.

I would not suggest to practise single table sng's to prepare for the 180s since they are completly different in many aspects. I wouldn't suggest the 90men or 45men as well since ICM is a lot more important and you should really start with the more easy things because you will make less mistakes.

If you want to practise some ranges I would suggest the ICM Trainer. It's not perfect since it is built for SNG's, but you should get some ideas of what is possible. It's especially helpful to learn more about final table play. If you want to have a look at MTSNG specific content you may have a look at this videos.

If you have further questions feel free to ask.
    • xoshix33
      xoshix33
      Bronze
      what is an avg ITM finish, and avg roi at 2.5 180 mans?
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Asaban
      I would not suggest to practise single table sng's to prepare for the 180s since they are completly different in many aspects. I wouldn't suggest the 90men or 45men as well since ICM is a lot more important and you should really start with the more easy things because you will make less mistakes.
      Are the 45s really harder? Im currently playing those, the variance in the 180s sickened me, it feels easier but maybe im just too results oriented in the short term, or else my skill set is just better there.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      The variance is smaller of course. I didn't want to say that they are harder per default (although I think that there are a bit less fish). For a beginner the 180's should be easier to play since there are less things to take into consideration. The smaller the field gets, the more ICM kicks in. ICM is kinda complex and therefore I would recommend to learn the basics which are sufficient for the 180's and learn more about ICM while playing them. If you decide to play 45men MTSNG's as a beginner you have to go into ICM a lot and make fast improvements to be able to win these tournaments.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xoshix33
      what is an avg ITM finish, and avg roi at 2.5 180 mans?
      ITM doesnt matter. We play to win so ROI is where its at.

I started on the 2.50 turbo 180s about 2 months ago. I am running at 32.5%ROI (12.4% ITM) after 684 games ($561 profit) so they are definetly beatable