[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #32 29.04.12

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings.

Here is the homework for the coaching from April 29th, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Sunday, May 6th at 1 PM GMT.

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $12.81
      UTG+1: $12.12
      MP: $4.55
      Hero (CO): $10.00
      BTN: $14.01
      SB: $13.79
      BB: $10.00

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has 8:heart: 7:heart:

fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.40, fold, Hero calls $0.40, BTN calls $0.40, fold, fold

Flop: ($1.35, 3 players) 6:heart: Q:diamond: 3:heart:
      UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $1.29, fold, Hero calls $1.29

Turn: ($3.93, 2 players) 7:club:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2.80, Hero raises to $8.31 and is all-in, fold

UTG+1 12/9
      BTN 65/11

BTN was very loose, i worked at i had 31% equity against a pair if called,i just thought i had so much FE here as he over called the raise so I ruled out he had an overpair, thoughts?
  • 7 replies
    • asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach
      preflop
      I would 3bet or fold pre.

On the flop I do not mind the c/c, except if utg is capable of c/r... this would be pretty ugly.
      I could even fold here bc btn is passive and bets big to two opponents. We do not have direct odds to call, but I do not think that call is bad either.

On the turn I do not believe that btn will fold much bc he is passive and 2nd barrels to multiway (on the flop) pot. However fold with so much equity is out of question.

So we could raise the turn, but semi-bluff wouldn't work so often vs this specific Villain. I do not say that this is wrong, but I think call is better.

So we could call expecting that we will extract the desired value on the river if we hit.
    • faronel
      faronel
      Bronze
      Preflop
      I don't think that the call was the best option. UTG+1 is pretty tight and he raises from an early position. I would feel comfortable continuing only with OESFD. Flush draw with 8 high is not that optimal.

Flop
      Given the hand sample is fair, the button is very loose player (VPIP 65). Button has so many combos in his hand (better flush draw, Qx, 63 as two pairs, set) that we are lose to. I don't particulary like check-calling out of position, and since we don't get great odds.

Turn
      Fold equity is meant against those players who will actually fold. Your hand is basically a semi-bluff. I don't think that you will get a calling station to fold Qx or so here. I would go for check-fold here, since our hand didn't improve much on turn.
    • mawaykid
      mawaykid
      Bronze
      fold pre.

Flop I think its ok call, he is loose passive, bet pot, vs 2 plr, I think we have good implieds, he have at least TP, and will not fold to a raise when we hit.

Turn we pick some equity, and win 5 outs, but now we have much less implieds, less stack behind, only one street left, and we have reverse implied odds vs sets, so I think c/f Is better, we dont have much FE.
    • William340
      William340
      Bronze
      I'm sorry, I'm new to this.
      I'm confused when
      Originally posted by faronel
      UTG+1 is pretty tight and he raises from an early position.
      and
      Originally posted by asimos
      I could even fold here bc btn is passive and bets big to two opponents.
      is faronel basing this soley on the position? because there are no stats for the villains and certainly no positional stats.

is asimos assuming the BTN is passive because he overcalled instead of squeezing the flop?

and
      On the flop I do not mind the c/c, except if utg is capable of c/r... this would be pretty ugly.
      you are mistaken here. while UTG+1 could c/r the BTN, it's not a problem for hero as hero acts AFTER UTG+1. so if UTG+1 c/r's BTN, hero can fold and will not have put money in on the flop.

on to the hand:
      could the BTN be reading your check/call on the flop as a draw, betting when the Turn was not a heart and then deciding that the 7 on the Turn made you a straight w/ 4-5 or 2 pair w/ 6-7 when you jam?

pre-flop - I am ok w/ the call. mid-suited connectors have a lot of potential to hit flops and UTG+1's stack is big enough to give us good implied odds.
      of course, if BTN was a frequent squeezer, calling is not such a good idea.

flop - I am ok w/ the c/c
      I'm not sure, but I think betting out w/ a draw vs two opponents invites trouble.
      you could get called by BTN who has position, or c/r'd by UTG+1

turn - you pick up some outs against everything but 4-5 and sets (and there's almost no way he has QQ after overcalling pre-flop).
      but I'm not sure what I think about the shove. obviously it worked,
      but it seems pretty risky to my chicken-heart.

sorry, I think I have spent more time analyzing my play than the Hero's.
    • faronel
      faronel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by William340
      I'm sorry, I'm new to this.
      I'm confused when
      Originally posted by faronel
      UTG+1 is pretty tight and he raises from an early position.
      and
      I could even fold here bc btn is passive and bets big to two opponents.
      is faronel basing this soley on the position? because there are no stats for the villains and certainly no positional stats.

is asimos assuming the BTN is passive because he overcalled instead of squeezing the flop?
      There are stats, look at initial hand, right below turn information. I am asuming those are VPIP and PFR.
    • chocular77
      chocular77
      Bronze
      PF: The Call is fine since BU will often call aswell and we get a nice multiwaypot

F: Don't know if BU is very passive, but we should still have the implieds even if we are oop against this fish.

T: I wouldn't ever raise here, worst option.
      If we think BU is bad enough to call a ship if our draw hits we can call on Turn, if not just fold.
      If he is normally rather passive i would call since his bets indicate something like a Qx and he shouldn't be able to fold it on the river.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello guys,

Preflop: Calling here is pretty marginal cause you often times put yourself into marginal spots while you don't know what do postflop and neither the pot might not turn into multiway pot. Only reason why it might be considerable here is if we also think we have an edge postflop on the opponent and pretty sure that the loose guy comes along. Those hands are nice but they are usually one of the hands what people don't earn profit with.

As played
      Flop: Rather lead out yourself here and fix the bet size, you wouldn't have to do it even very big ~$0,80 should be enough and if you get raised you can get off the hand. If you Check/Call you can face exactly such a spot where somebody pots it or near pot and which will be hard to Call while others may as well have even better FDs and we are OOP where it will be difficult to extract value. Therefore rather lead out yourself.

As played
      Turn: Leading out yourself you could once again fix your sizing yourself here if you would have started that on the flop. But as played I don't like the Check/Raise at all vs loose opponent who most likely will never fold a made hand nor the equity isn't going to be enough vs his made range. Neither we don't get the implied odds most likely while being OOP and we can never be sure what are clean outs for us or how strong his hand is that pays us on the river.

Best Regards.