What to think...?

• Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      I've been playing poker for about Seven-Eight months now, I started as a losing playing to a winning playing in Nl2 and Nl5, Then went on to SNGS where i've been winning . I've been playing tournements on and off not seriously just for fun while i grind other things. I recently entered a 4 Dollar tournement today and ended up in the FINAL table what to me was huge, I was the chip leader to a 2:1 Ratio on all the other players. WE got down to Five players left and the stacks were the same, I still in a commanding lead. We played 50 more hands and suddenly i've lost 5 flips and Was out of the tournement for 200 Dollars... Should I be pleased? Discouraged?
  • 7 replies
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      you should consider it as statistically insignificant. Poker is a game of longterm. You will understand this eventually. Just keep playing :)
    • DailyDollarPro
      DailyDollarPro
      Silver
      Imagine if when you first registered for that $4 tourney, a poker fairy magically appeared and said 'Congratulations, your going to win $200 today!', you'd most likely be quite pleased about that.

Don't worry about the fact that you got unlucky towards the end and missed out on the bigger prizes. Consider that you most likely had a number of instances of good luck that allowed you to make the final table in the first place. Maybe you were seated at one of the softer tables at the start. Perhaps you got KK dealt to you when the other big stack got QQ. Possibly a weak player called off his whole stack to your big raise in a spot where most would simply have folded. Another player could have tilt shoved his 72 into your AA...

There are many, many instances of luck in poker and more so in MTT's. Some times things go your way, sometimes they don't. A top level winning player at micro MTT's will have an ROI of between 10% - 30%. That means in a $4 tourney they would 'expect' to make $0.40 - $1.20 profit on average. You made $196 profit - This is way above ev! Consider yourself lucky :)
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DailyDollarPro
      A top level winning player at micro MTT's will have an ROI of between 100% - 150%.
    • tomthebom28
      tomthebom28
      Bronze
      Originally posted by phantommm92
      Originally posted by DailyDollarPro
      A top level winning player at micro MTT's will have an ROI of between 100% - 150%.
      What about the top level major tourney players?
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      rly depends, imo in like sunday million, you can get rly sick winrates, but it's impossible to get a sample size

in the smaller fields, more reg infested games, prob like 50% or so
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      congrats, but don't think anything of it. keep studying and playing
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      You should be pleased that you made it so far! If I offered you 5th once the Tourney started, you would have bitten my arm of, right? ;)

Despite this, I'm always disappointed unless I get 1st, I've had a couple of 4th's, 3rd's & 2nd's where each time I was disappointed, it was a nice cash, but still sooo angry every time! :D

Just remember to stick to Bankroll Managemnet as even the best players can't ship everything they touch, unless they're on a mega hot streak :O