Session Length

• 28 replies
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      I tend to play 1 session of about 35 to 40 minutes in the evening, 4 tabling Zoom I get 500 hands in. On the weekends I play 2 or more sessions of 500 to 1000 hands, so between 35 minutes to an 1 hour 15.

I stop when I get to around the hand limit, get bored or if I'm just getting creamed. I tend to start tilting once I lose about 4 - 5 buyins so that's usually a sign to stop, the main exception to that is for some reason I don't get as annoyed by coolers like KK vs AA or boats against quads. Whereas getting sucked out on by stations hitting runner runner 3 hands in a row is enough to have me signing off for the day.
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Thanks for your reply! Exactly the kind I was hoping for.

Originally posted by mrbeer9999
      I tend to play 1 session of about 35 to 40 minutes in the evening, 4 tabling Zoom I get 500 hands in. On the weekends I play 2 or more sessions of 500 to 1000 hands, so between 35 minutes to an 1 hour 15.

Forgive me I'm new. What is Zoom?
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Originally posted by kruger32
      Forgive me I'm new. What is Zoom?
      "Zoom" is Pokerstars' copy of Full Tilt's "Rush" game. How it works is there is one pool of players (say 400 at a time). You get put on a table with random people from that pool. You can fold at any time and when you fold you immediately leave that table and join another table with more random people from the pool. When the hand is over you also automatically get moved to a new table with random people. Because we usually fold most of the hands we get dealt this means you turn over hands very quickly. If you play 1 table of Zoom, you will play about 300 hands an hour.
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Oh yeah, I played Freeroll Rush on FT before. No need to wait after folding.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      i currently mostly play 4 shorthanded tables for random amounts of time. average hands per hour are ~250-350

sessions can be as short as 5 min or as long as 3 hours :f_eek: i'm quite used to playing other online games for such extended periods of time so i don't think my game worsens much really.
      tracker stats say that my average session length is 30 min :f_biggrin:

as you may have guessed, 5 minute sessions happen when i just find out that i don't feel like playing at all.
      else... well, can be whatever, mostly i quit when i start feeling tired or feel tilt creeping. sometimes i also quit when i think that i can't get some good tables and am too lazy to bother.

[edit: i just noticed you asked about fullring games. anyway whatever, i hope you can find out something useful :f_biggrin:
      when i played NL5 rush fullring on fulltilt i averaged ~340 hands/hour in sessions that lasted ~50 minutes in average. mostly played 1 table, but would play 2 tables sometimes]
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Kruger32!

I used to play FR games, but since the new year I moved to SH. But there isn't really much that changed. I play during the evenings and I play how long I feel like. I don't really want to play a certain volume, I just stop whenever I feel like it which probably isn't the best thing. You should stop whenever you can't play your A-game anymore.

I play 4 tables SH, but I can play up to 5-6 hours in 1 session with 2 breaks of 10-15min each. Thats probably to long, but I like playing to much!

There are some very good players that say you should play up to 1 hour max! Since your brain can't really focus much longer than 1 hour.

In the end it's all up to you. My win rate could probably be much higher if I played a little less, but I really enjoy playing! It's a decision you have to make for yourself in the end.

RasTweet
    • mccol001
      mccol001
      Bronze
      I try to aim for 10k hands per day, 24 tabling full ring. :) I played almost 18k yesterday over like 8-10 hours, and now the PokerStars 80 billionth hand is coming I will aim for around 15k hands a day. :)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mccol001
      I try to aim for 10k hands per day, 24 tabling full ring. :) I played almost 18k yesterday over like 8-10 hours, and now the PokerStars 80 billionth hand is coming I will aim for around 15k hands a day. :)
      :O 10k-15k a day :O

What limits are you playing?
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Thanks for your answer guys.

mccol001, That is a looootttt of hands!!!
    • mccol001
      mccol001
      Bronze
      I have been playing a lot of 10NL, 16NL and 25NL, I try to find the fishy tables of those stakes. Yesterday I played 11,380 hands at 10NL, 1,073 at 16NL and 5,373 at 25NL.
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      I play a handful of minutes every now and then, I can go long periods without playing. I don't have the same passion for playing since all the cheating scandals etc, kind of killed the magic of the game for me. People like girah too, as he showed us all how lying pieces of poo can make out they are winners and con tonnes of people into believing they can do the same.

But I still like to keep up to date with everything poker etc and be part of the community and help out anyway I can, I visit a few sites and am active in all communites and people seem to enjoy having convos with me. :f_o:
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mccol001
      I have been playing a lot of 10NL, 16NL and 25NL, I try to find the fishy tables of those stakes. Yesterday I played 11,380 hands at 10NL, 1,073 at 16NL and 5,373 at 25NL.
      You must play on 20+
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      My sessions are usually 1000/2000 hands a time which can take around 2-4 hours. I don't usually do session on time alone, more towards how many hands I play as I like to try and keep an average of 1500 per day.

If I plan on playing alot of hands I will play only for for 2-3 Hours at a time and allow a break of 30 mins between, maybe even longer as I will have a quick review of my current session and then continue.

The only reason I would stop a session is if I were not playing my A-Game through tilt or constant suckouts etc. If I have had an amazing session, say +5BI, I'll also stop and enjoy the rest of the day as a happy chappy :P
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      I usually do between - 4-6 session a day that are 1hr-1.5hr long

I try to keep them always under 2 hours and I think 1 hr 20 mins is about optimal for me.
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the replies you guys.

<sigh>I can't seem to play my A Game for more than 20 mins </sigh>
      After reading your replies it seems that my brain is getting to lazy.
      I will stick to my chair and keep playing with FULL concentration for 1 hr everyday!

Do you guys use any help for focusing? Like music, drinks etc?
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I'd personally think music can be a distraction rather than help with concentration.

How about starting with multiple 40 minute sessions, as that seems to be your current limit for when you stick to you A-game, then increase every so often each session by maybe 5 minutes at the time?

Slow and steady increase is well better than trying to improve it too hard, it's a game of patience!
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kruger32
      I never have any music playing through the laptop, the only time anything is on is if the Radio is on in the distance, but I set it at a low volume just for a little background noise.

Be sure you go to the toilet first, nothing worse than needing to pee when in some hands :P

As for a drink, Usually some sort of Pop, water or Tea.
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Be sure you go to the toilet first, nothing worse than needing to pee when in some hands :P
      That's what the piss jug is for.
    • mylove190207
      mylove190207
      Bronze
      Hi. My sessions are 45min-1h long. As already was mentioned our brains are fully focused only around 30-40min, unles they are trained for more. So after that I take 15-30 min brake. But that happen only once a week, because of my work.

I have both. I love music, so I must have it everywhere. But I listen calm music during the session. In the past I drink coffe , but until I stop drinking it, I looking for something else. Then I found interesting article here on forum about drinks during session. So I drink limonade without sugar and watter. It realy helps me be more focused on the game.