[NL2-NL10] Nl25, TT, preflop push

• burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($9.95)
      MP1 ($14.85)
      MP2 ($12.40)
      MP3 ($28)
      CO ($28.35)
      Button ($14.95)
      Hero ($5)
      BB ($38.60)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T:heart: , T:club: . UTG posts a blind of $0.25.
      UTG+1 raises to $0.5, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, Hero raises to $5.1 (All-In), 1 fold, UTG+1 calls $4.50, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds.

Flop: ($11.75) A:spade: , 8:diamond: , 3:diamond: (3 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: ($11.75) 2:diamond: (3 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($11.75) A:club: (3 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $11.85

What do you think of this push?

Result: UTG had JJ and I got a new valuable note. :)
  • 7 replies
    • matkov
      matkov
      Bronze
      I don't like mini raises from utg. From my experience, people have JJ+, and don't want to raise big (they don't wanna scare everyone off), but they don't want to limp also (so that the blinds don't get a freeplay). I would push TT if there were only limpers in your case (for dead money) , or if button was the first to raise. That's just imo thou :D
    • theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      Without decent reads I'm often reluctant to push with TT pre.

I little re-raise for info, ~$2-$2.50 might be more valuable here, and if he pushes you can still fold. More than one caller and you know your T's are no longer good on the flop.

Also, in a case like this the A is a scare card, so if villain flat-calls you and you push the flop he may be more inclined to give you credit for the A.

That's just how I would play it, but shoving here is not a bad play either as long as you can trust your reads. Against unknowns I prefer a r/r over a push.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      If I made a regular raise(which should be approximately 3$ because of all the callers) would mean that I'm commited on flop in case someone calls me and out of position which would be a bad situation, I think...

And about being my TT not good I think that I should be scared only of UTG, because if somebody just called minbet with JJ+ it would be just a bad play. On the other hand against Ax is my TT at least a coinflip which is still profitable because of the dead money in the pot.

Afterall, I made a note on that player and he won't get any more money from me with minbetting his premium hands. ;)
    • theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      I thought it was implied that the callers don't really play in this situation. UTG+1 is the only real threat here, you're right.

My point is that a r/r will tell you a bit more of the strength of his hand. I've started doing this more often and I find it's more profitable, at least for me. A smaller r/r of $2 doesn't maximize Fold Equity, but it doesn't fully commit us either.

It's just my preference, I'm not saying it's the way to always play it. IMO a $2 r/r is enough to scare away the callers and give you information on villain. I would fold if he re-pushes, and if he smooth-calls I can lead out with a push which my be enough to scare him off with the A on the board. If not you still have the same result.

Like I say, just my preference. I don't think there's really anything wrong with your push here, as it maximizes FE with a lot of "dead money" in the pot.
    • alexkz
      alexkz
      Bronze
      push preflop. i like deadmoney :D + we have fold equity. Raising preflop is a bad idea - we just wasting our money because of small fold-equity
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      I`d fold preflop.Minraise from UTG,unknown opp I treat like normal raise till haven`t got reads on that opp.Reraise is not very good option because we would be committed on flop anyway.Min reraise and fold to 3bet -I don`t know if this is good.How much info you get if he just calls you and flop will be neutral.
      Push is an option for me if I have reads on opp,but should have important reads on callers if they tend to fold to my push.I`d want to be HU with UTG and it would be coin flip situation.
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Their is so much deadmoney in the pot that we can not just make a normal reraise and think, if somebody calls we are beat and can fold the flop, since thats not an option.

We also can not fold preflop, just because of a minraise. It could easily also suited connecters, a small pocket pair or just trash. So without great reads, we have to assume to hold the best hand here. And thats why I would push here. Some might like to play tricky and play more for set value, because they think they could get more value out here if they hit. Problem is, we are in the SB and play OOP.

So push would be my option too, but I´m always open to discuss others thoughts. :)