[NL2-NL10] NL 10 4bet pot cbet decision

• asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach
      iPoker - £0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

Villain is 37/24/Afq:46, 3bet from blinds:14%, fold to 4bet:33% over 212 hands.

It is difficult for me to adapt correctly when Villain 3bets a lot and doesn't fold to 4bets. The solution should be to 4bet only for value with sth like 99+/AQ+. But what about hands like AJs? I do open a lot from CO, so AJ is in the neighborhood of the top of my range.

I decided to 4bet this one. But I do not know anything about Villain's 4bet calling range oop. Should be normally strong.

Now on the flop I was considering to just bet/call or shove if get donked, since I have the gutshot and over card. But in the game I checked to have the free card bc I wasn't sure about Villain's range. If it is QQ+,AK I am always behind. Moreover a cbet would only fold sth like QQ,JJ some of the times.

1)Should I call a shove preflop if Villain had 5bet?
      2)Should I cbet on the flop?
      3)Is it snap fold on the turn?

4)What if the flop was AT8. Should I play for stacks always?

Hero (UTG): £12.34
      BTN: £10.20
      SB: £10.95
      BB: £10.00

SB posts SB £0.05, BB posts BB £0.10

Pre Flop: (£0.15) Hero has J:heart: A:heart:

Hero raises to £0.30, fold, SB raises to £0.90, fold, Hero raises to £2.20, SB calls £1.30

Flop: (£4.50, 2 players) T:diamond: K:diamond: 8:club:
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (£4.50, 2 players) K:spade:
      SB bets £2.25, fold
  • 4 replies
    • Nocco88
      Nocco88
      Bronze
      Hi!

I don't think that the 4-bet is good here, because yes, he is 3-bet a lot, but you raised from utg, so I assume that his 3-bet range is tighter here. In this situation I fold or call, because AJs will be ahead his 3-bet range. And postflop we will have position. As played I think Im on check/fold mode in this type of board.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello asimos,

Common mistake what people do, they look oh his 3bet is so big he is definitely doing a loose 3bet. But what they don't pay attention is that he is doing it vs UTG from SB which most likely is more towards strong range. Therefore is it even worth fighting back?

Another case if you even consider him 3betting very light then 4betting doesn't really make sense if he ain't even folding there unless you planning to do it for value and also planning to play for the stacks.

2)Should I cbet on the flop?

As long he is capable of calling light I'd CB here with the GS+fold equity+position and maybe even working overcard(s), 1/2 pot size Bet should be enough.

3)Is it snap fold on the turn?

Yes, rather Bet the flop over Call the turn with just Ace high while you might even not have the best Ace.

4)What if the flop was AT8. Should I play for stacks always?

Most likely I might even Check behind and let him bluff. If you 4bet vs those guys then it means you are doing it for value.

Best Regards.
    • asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello asimos,

Common mistake what people do, they look oh his 3bet is so big he is definitely doing a loose 3bet. But what they don't pay attention is that he is doing it vs UTG from SB which most likely is more towards strong range. Therefore is it even worth fighting back?

practically I am CO and not utg....4 players at the table

Another case if you even consider him 3betting very light then 4betting doesn't really make sense if he ain't even folding there unless you planning to do it for value and also planning to play for the stacks.
      Let's say that his is 3betting light. If 4betting doesn't make sense, fold is weak (unless if we open sth like 15%, but in this case I open my CO range which is a lot wider), so what left is to call. But if we call, as you said in another of my posts, we are dominated. Can't figure out how to play here... :f_love: Or the best approach is to 4bet for value and play for stacks??
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Or the best approach is to 4bet for value and play for stacks??

How can that be the best approach? He will just go broke with a lot stronger hands than he 3bets with.

If you assume him 3betting very loose then why can't you Call? You will have his 3betting range dominate not otherwise that when you go broke then you will have his range dominated what goes broke.