TedG82

• TedG82
      TedG82
      Bronze
      Hi, my name is Ted, i am 30 years old and I am from Czech republic. I play poker for approx 2 years. I feel I am still beginner so i decided to join this course. Just hope it will help to improve my skill.
  • 9 replies
    • TedG82
      TedG82
      Bronze
      So here is my first homework. Although English is not my mother-tongue, I hope my answers will be understandable :f_biggrin: .

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      First of all I must say that i really love poker because poker is in my opinion perfect mix of mathematics, statistic and psychology skills and also piece of luck. So poker is for me something like challenge, that can help me to be a mentally better person. Of course it is way how to earn some extra money so this is also good motivation for me.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      First of all I must mention my concentration and my mindset. I can learn all tactics, i can count my pot odds, outs etc. but manage myself is hardest for me. If we will talk about my tactical skills in poker, I feel there is a lot of things I have to learn and practice. I mostly play full-ring micro-limits and I feel my biggest leak is to play against short stacks and also playing in situation like blind versus blind, stealing blinds and defending blinds.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      From my point of view "Tight" means play good hands, against right opponents (weak), in right situations (rather in position). Aggressive means to put a pressure on my opponent when I decided to play a hand. Finally I can say that tight-aggressive poker player must play with caution, choose good spots for his play, but when he decided to play, he must be aggressive.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

About mindset I'd advice to adjust your tilt stop-loss, for example: easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • TedG82
      TedG82
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz,

thank you for evaluation of my first homework and for your advice. I am sure it will be very helpful for me.

I have already heard about stop-loss limit and must say that I use it. Sometimes it can happen that I lost 3-4 BI in situations, when I feel I made a correct decision (f.e. play preflop all-in with AA and lost). So when I lost money in these kind of situations, I usually continue in my session because I know (or just feel) that these kind of lost is not caused by my wrong game but because of variance and bad luck. On the other side, I rather end session when I just feel my game is not just right now perfect or very good (although I can be in a profit during current session).

I used Hand Judging forum on Czech part of the pokerstrategy web, but from now I will use also English forum to get feedback from english community and also directly from you. You will see my way of thinking about hands and I hope your feedback will help me to improve my game and my thinking about hands.

Hope I will find time during this week to post some hands to evaluate and also find some time for a articles and videos related with second lesson of a course.

Well, that is all from me now. Maybe I forget to mention in the first post of this thread that I am currently playing NL2-4 full ring cash game on William Hill.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Yeah, that's true that it's not always affecting your game but it could also affect in hidden view while you don't even recognize when you tilting. So have to be aware of that and be ready to close the session. Usually session reviews will show you either you tilt or not. :) If you don't do that then why not to continue, especially if you know that you are playing your A-game.

How do you enjoy the English community hand evaluation forums so far? :)
    • TedG82
      TedG82
      Bronze
      Hi, I enjoy it a lot and it really helps me. Your evaluating of hands quick, clear and understandable and I hope it will soon help me to improve my game :f_biggrin: . Also this week I discover very usefull Bierbaer couching for beginners. Unfortunatelly your couching has a bad schedule for me so I will no participate...

Seems I should start to do something with my second homework... I am so lazy :D
    • TedG82
      TedG82
      Bronze
      So here is my second homework:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Here is few types of hands that I play differently:

Low pocket pairs from EP and MP - According to Chart I should fold all low pocket pairs from EP but I think, it is better to raise sometimes some of them. So 77-99 I rather raise preflop from EP. I think it is better because when the hand goes to flop, I am preflop aggressor and I can steal the pot with a bluff C-bet. Same situation is when I am on MP and I have low pocket pairs. From middle position I fold 22-55 (usually) and open raise 66-99. I can change this range little bit sometimes. It depends on my image at the table and also how good (or bad) are other players especially on BB and SB.

My range on CO and BU is also different. I cannot say exact my range from LP because it is always depend on which types of players are on blinds. When on blinds are rocks or nits, I usually raise almost any two cards from BU because players on blinds did not defend their blinds. On the other side, if there are aggressive maniacs on blinds, I rather wait for a better hand.

Also my play is different, when I am on blinds. Against stealers I usually re-raise with wide range because they ofter fold after my 3bet. Again, on the other side if for example Rocks from CO raise for the first time after 30 hands, I can easily fold hands like KTo.

My range is also wide if there is two or three limpers and I am on LP. In this situation, I think I can raise also hands like suited gappers, high off-suited cards like KJo etc. Of course, I must be sure that these limping players will often fold after my raise or at least fold on a flop after my c-bet.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I choose 2 hands from my last session:

NL2 - FR - AQo
      NL2 - FR - AKo

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Equity Win Tie
      CO 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% { AKo }
      BU 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Being lazy is crappy for poker cause you can't really skip learning phase as you maybe did in school. :f_biggrin: It's very important, if you want to get better then the main way to get more confident in your game and of course more experienced is analyzing your game and discussing about hands. Of course lets not forget about watching videos/reading articles etc.

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. Against specific opponents we adjust, either wider range or tighter range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands. As for example stealing too many hands from SB and being out of position.

Playing PPs can be in long run be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them (except of course KK/AA strong hands :D ). You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that. Although the problem with playing them, especially from EP if you playing FR is the case that you wont always play them profitable and very low ones I would even advice to fold as 22-55 and raise it up like 66-77+.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • TedG82
      TedG82
      Bronze
      Hi,
      about my laziness, it seems you talk like some of my teachers from high school (I hated them of course). I think I will hate you too very soon (of course not, just kidding :f_biggrin: ). Well, during last few days I found that my good or bad mindset makes to me 90% of success. It seems like a bad news for me as I know I have problems with mindset in a long-term. I just hoped that I will be able to beat my bad mindset with theoretical knowledge but now I know (or feel) it is almost impossible because mindset makes almost everything. Anyway, last few days was my mindset on a good side so I played very well (I think :f_biggrin: ) and boost little bit my bankroll. So finally I can move to NL4 for next week.
      Well, today I just read and heard all articles and videos related with lesson nr. 3 so here comes time for my homework:

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.
      That was easy, Already done this few weeks ago. Already used Pokerstove before but Equilab seems fine for me too ;) .

Question 1: You are holding ...

Preflop

Equity Win Tie
      K :spade: Q :spade: 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      3 :diamond: 3 :club: 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Flop

Board: 5:diamond: J:spade: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      K :spade: Q :spade: 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      3 :diamond: 3 :club: 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      Well, I definitely vote for call. Hero's pot odds to call is 91/22 = 4.14. Hero has nuts flush draw, which means he has odds 4:1. We should consider, that BU can already have a Set so we should discount some outs. Anyway, BU can also have just overpairs f.e. 88. If so, we have nuts flush draw and also two over cards so we have much more outs in this case. Hero should call on turn but he must be careful if 6 :club: or 3 :club: club comes on a river because BU can have a full-house.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your post-flop play?
      Here is a list of hands that I send last few days. It is not a lot of hands but I am sure when I move to NL4, there will be more difficult spots so I will have to also post more hands it forum.
      Nl - Fr - Jj
      Nl2 - Fr - Tt
      Nl2 Fr - Qq
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

:f_biggrin: , no need to hate me. :D Laziness is common for human being, so don't think that you are the only one. Just try to avoid it and try to get better.

About mindset it's tough to say what may work for you but lets try to work on it and with experience your mindset will also grow stronger.

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!