[NL2-NL10] NL10 Awful spot to get scared with top set

• DaPhunk
      PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($7.21)
      Hero (SB) ($11.03)
      BB ($17.15)
      UTG ($10.86)
      UTG+1 ($6.81)
      MP1 ($35.66)
      MP2 ($33.84)
      MP3 ($10.33)
      CO ($13.73)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, A
      7 folds, Hero bets $0.30, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.60) A, 10, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.40) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.85, BB raises to $2.40, Hero calls $1.55

River: ($6.20) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks

Total pot: $6.20 | Rake: $0.28

Villain is a 30/10 player. I have 10 hands on him.

When villain raises turn I think; Oh fuck he can't have just made his gutshot here? Hopefully he's bluffing or has a lower set and I can call turn and C/C to his river bet if he continues doing it.

I think this is a bad mindset mistake and not rational thinking.

There are tons of draws out and this is a blindbattle vs a seemingly recreational player so I should probably just ship it in to get value vs his flushdraws, the idiot straight draw if he has it, two-pair and lower sets. I do not get value out of some of those hands if they miss river or get scared for some reason.

I think this is bad play on turn and I should just get it in and chalk it up to variance if I lose. Anyone disagree?
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      Hello DaPhunk,

Vs his wide range I'd most likely just 3bet myself on the turn and get it in, he definitely has enough of worse hands there in his range. Cause I am somehow sure that you planned to Call the river anyways, therefore rather get it in on the turn and might even protect your hand.

Best Regards.
    • DaPhunk
      Yes, I called planning to Check/Call river to another bet thinking his range was more air and weak hand heavy that way
    • mrbeer9999
      I think this is a super easy shove on the turn. He wants to get it in, if he made his straight good luck to him because we crush all his sets and 2 pair hands. I don't think he does this with draws but sample size is way too small to say with any certainty.

Anyway I think the chance of him raising the turn and then folding to a shove is minimal but it certainly is possible for a river card to fall that kills your action, say he has 2 pair and the river brings a 3rd straight and/or flush card he can then fold. Likewise if the river is Qh and he shoves you are going to hate life.
    • FlashDavin
      Get it in on the turn!

He wants to, and you have the second best hand with a redraw vs the best hand. He can easily play his two pair + lower sets this way.