Do I Merely Suck????

• RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      Greetings All,
      I've been lurking around this site for over a year now so thought I'd finally post something! I've had some ok wins in live tournaments, won a couple of reasonable tounaments a few years back, but for the past six months or more a really lucky to just finish in the money when playing online. I can't tell anymore if I'm just one unlucky (insert offensive term here) or if I merely suck!
      Often I'm way ahead when I bet, get called by somone on a bizarre draw, and naturally they hit the one or two out to take the hand, usually on the River!
      I keep reading here and there that over time the 'skill' will pay off, or at least the odds will eventually catch up with me and I'll start to win, but I'm starting to feel that there's someone out there with a Voodoo doll and a box full of pins! t
      I'm thinking I'll try to turn things around in the next couple of months, or walk away from online poker.... at least I'd like to compile some evidense to analize to see what's going on... what might be the best, most user friendly software you'd suggest? Holdem Manager? I do like to review hands and would like some software that does this best..... also it seems to me that pretty much all poker sites are the same.... I've found Sky to be the softest site out there... Will Hill used to be, but now its one of the more difficult either due to the Sharks or the suck outs..... both hurt the same!
      Look foward to your thoughts...
      RKBB :f_confused:
  • 27 replies
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      I'd suggest 888poker for being the softest room at the moment so might want to try it.. BUT! I played few mtt on 888poker and I couldn't believe the amount of fish, you might think it is a good thing, but I noticed that when you start with 1500 chips and 5 fish around you, it will only produce much more variance, I've seen the sickest beats and suckouts on tournaments. I might be wrong because I am a cash game player, never had any real experience aside from few low stakes mtts on 888poker (played 8 and finished in the money twice), but If you are looking for a soft field, you should definatly try out 888poker.

good luck :)
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RKBB65
      ... what might be the best, most user friendly software you'd suggest?
      PT4/PT3 (poker tracker 3/4). It is on the beta testing phase, but it is quite amazing. I think at the moment you can buy PT3 and they will upgrade you for free to PT4 when they launch the tested version.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey RKBB65,

Welcome to the Forums, lets hope I see you around a little more ;)

As you've been playing for a few years now I'd take it you understand about Variance? This can effect a MTT Player greatly, you could be the best player in the world a struggle to cash as it only takes one flip to go the wrong way, you just need to keep at it and make sure you're following some kind of Bankroll Management.

As for which Software to use, you should test both PockerTracker and Holdem Manager out, they both offer a Free Trial (PT = 60 Days / HM = 30 Days ) so you can get 3 months worth of Free tracking software and within that time you should be able to pick which one you prefer. I personally prefer Holdem Manager, but they are both pretty much the same :)

If you're looking at finding the best room to play at, I'd suggest you post in our thread dedicated to finding you the best Poker Room to play at: Choosing the right Poker Room for you!
      I used to play alot of MTT's at 888Poker and they where quite fishy, they also have small fields which means less Variance, so hopefully you can work on your first Millions of winnings there? ;)
    • RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies,
      I used to play most MTT, but now am trying to get into cash games more, but I'm taking a beating in there... perhaps I am not suited to cash games, who knows... I know that a player is usually better at one or the other. I'll have to try to mix it up a bit more to get a better idea.
      I can kind of live with taking a beat against the odds, but what I can never understand is why someone stays in the hand so long needing say a deuce to hit, and only a deuce, only to get it on the River when you're sitting there with a set from the flop or Q's....... its a bit soul destroying as my recent AQ vs A3 beat will testify!
      RKBB :f_cry:
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Hey RKBB65,
      How many hands did you play in the cash games?
      You have to play about 10k hands before you can analyze your play at the specific limit correctly.

Bad beats are a part of the game.
      They can hit you very hard, especially in the lower stakes. So be prepared.

Don't be too hard on yourself.
      And even if you think you suck; keep playing and more importantly keep studying the game.
      By the time you reach gold here you'll probably be a winning player!

Get the free bonus for 888 and Poker 777. You'll get $8 (or is it Euro?) and $7.70 for free to try out your game. Grind the micros with that money. Play 10k + hands. That will give you an idea of your play at micros. If you can't beat the micros, you might need to take the NL beginners course here. (It has stuff for advanced players too...)

Tracking software is a must. If you've never used one you are in for a pleasant surprise. Elephant is just fine when trying out tracking software. Use it for three months. Then get HM and PT trial consecutively, that way you have 6 months of free software. And you know which one you'll like!

MTTs are supposed to have CRAZY variance. Especially ones with bad players. Maybe... don't play MTT online. With their crazy pool of donks the variance is compounded. If you really like tourneys, maybe shift to SNG. SNG is very $$$ (in micro stake, I've not played higher stakes)! Its my favorite! (And I truly suck at poker yet making profit playing SNGs) Less variance than MTTs and once you master early game play, blind stealing in the mids and ICM for late game you're golden. Use the ICM trainer (if you didn't know about it) SNGs are so soft in Will Hill you wouldn't believe it. Many many times in 6 man game I came ITM playing 2-5 hands. Once I sat out entire game and came in 2nd. The best part about SNG is once bubble is near people rarely make donk bets. They start playing tight. And fish playing tight are really easy to push around. So bad beats is relatively lower in the mid part of the game. So if you're good at live MTT maybe grind 100 Sngs and check if you're any good at it?

Anyway, please don't give up on poker. Don't walk away. If winning money is your primary goal... than well whatever. But if you want to get good at poker keep playing. Good chess players don't quit because they loose matches. They practice, study and win! Think of poker the same way. Don't play to win money. Poker is a game for reallt competitive and really tough minded people. It is for those who can say "if there was no luck involved I'd rape your bankroll in 5 mins. Because of luck and variance it'll take me 50 mins." Its for people who don't get hyper when they suffer a bad beat or a lucky win! In long term things will even out and your skill difference will show. Play to exploit other people. Play to rob FU**** BUMS of their money. Play to ruin other people's bankroll. Play to fu** up their dreams. Play to prove yourself that YOU ARE A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER than them. In a zero sum game that's how you think. Think like a shark. Don't be soft! Get TOUGH! Now finish all the articles here and GO GET THOSE FISHES!
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kruger32
      Get the free bonus for 888 and Poker 777. You'll get $8 (or is it Euro?) and $7.70 for free to try out your game.
      Correct :] Thanks for the awesome post kruger32!

Perhaps you could give the cash games a whirl for a few weeks RKBB65, see how they treat you, I found that playing cash helped out my overall MTT play alot, hopefully it can do the same for you !

We have a NL Beginners Course here for anyone who is looking to venture out into the big world of Cash!
      The course will teach you how to play BSS (Big Stack Strategy with 100 BB's) and guide you through the most relevant material for a Cash Beginners, you want a deeper insight into the course or want to ask some questions, feel free :)
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      kruger32 ......... put down the lsd :f_p:
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      kruger32 ......... put down the lsd :f_p:
      Its not lsd. Its weed.
    • RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      Good to hear you're off the LSD Kruger =)
      Thanks for the advice... I'll check ou Elephant and also the SnG's.... I don't expect to get rich and retire anytime soon, but would be nice to build a bankroll and be able to afford to buy into some significant events.
      I may even start a blog here to share the joy .... I'm no where near 10k hands by the way, so dropping down a few levels could be in order. Thanks for the advice all.....
      RKBB
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Good to hear you're off the LSD Kruger =)
      Oh yeah. Big help from Arkham and other guys.
      I only smoke weed and rarely smoke crack nowadays.
      Thanks you guys!

Keep playing RKBB
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Lol you guys!

How is your May grind coming along then?
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey RKBB65!

Not winning/being on the wrong site of varience can be hard! I'm having a couple of losing sessions as well.

I see you might be giving SnG's a shot. But do be aware that there is even more varience in SnG's then there is in a cashgame! I would recommend you just move down a limit (get into the lower micro's) and play some full ring tables. I think this will your confidence a boost because the lower micro's aren't that hard and full ring cash is the gametype which has the lowest varience.

keep us up to date what you will be doing and how it's going!

RasTweet
    • RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      Its all happening again......... Agggggggggggggggg AQ vs A2 - All in pre flop for £7 (I was trying to pick up the 3 x raise from the maniac on the button!) - He calls with A2 os... flop is 7 4 5 turn is the mandatory King ... River, you guessed it, 3 spades - there may have been a slight profanity typed in the chat box at this point!
      Honestly though... all in pre flop, hits a one outer on the River with only two of us in the hand..... do Ladbrookes hate me? :f_cry:
      RKBB
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      your playing pounds :f_mad: ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    • RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      Playing in £'s just makes that final River fist in my butt that little bit more painful! :f_eek:
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Its all happening again......... Agggggggggggggggg AQ vs A2 - All in pre flop for £7 (I was trying to pick up the 3 x raise from the maniac on the button!) - He calls with A2 os... flop is 7 4 5 turn is the mandatory King ... River, you guessed it, 3 spades - there may have been a slight profanity typed in the chat box at this point!
      Honestly though... all in pre flop, hits a one outer on the River with only two of us in the hand..... do Ladbrookes hate me? :f_cry:
      RKBB
      Dude, that's sad!
    • William340
      William340
      Bronze
      RKBB
      how is that a one outer?
      he had seven outs on the river. (any of the four 3's and any of the three 2's)
      which means you were still about 86% favorite, but you were not 98%
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Well dude, forgive me for busting out the fact-whip, but AQo has only around 61% equity vs a villain with a 50% hand range. 50% is a very maniacal range.

50% range for reference:
      33+,A2s+,K2s+,Q2s+,J2s+,T6s+,96s+,86s+,76s,65s,A2o+,K5o+,Q7o+,J7o+,T8o+,98o

Even with 100% range it has around only 65% equity.
      Compare that with AA,KK which have around 85% equity.

So AQo is a hand you should avoid going all in or betting big with if you hate variance.
      There are many discussions about the same thing with AK and why it many people think its overrated.

And you should definitely stop trying to challenge maniacs. Playing against maniacs is +EV but high variance.
    • RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      Thanks for the clairification on the hand stats William and Kruger. I guess this is why some software would help me to get these things clear in my head as the hand plays out, or at least afterwards in review. I have been less pissed off if he'd hit 2 A 2 on the flop rather then making his straight on the River... I usually don't mind seeing A Q vs A 2 when we're all in pre flop, but I've never had a lot of joy playing AQ or AK for that matter personally. My favourite online hand is 8 10 suited, which seems to pay off often, although playing live I'd fold it most of the time.
      RKBB :f_o:

By the way, where can I download Elephant?