[NL2-NL10] NL2 Zoom. Large preflop shoves.

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($0.45)
      SB ($2)
      Hero (BB) ($5.36)
      UTG ($5.48)
      UTG+1 ($1.94)
      MP1 ($1.10)
      MP2 ($2.05)
      MP3 ($2.42)
      CO ($1.92)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K
      UTG bets $0.06, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.06, 3 folds, SB raises to $0.18, Hero calls $0.16, UTG raises to $5.48 (All-In), edit; MP2 folds

Its about time i posted one of these. This is one of several situations where villain just jams all in preflop.

Other situations I can name;

1) Open-shoves seem to often be weak to me so far. I call pretty wide for 100BB or less and think unless villain is incredibly tight its often a call with 88+ AQs AK. (I've seen some incredibly bad hands do this but prefer to keep AJ and AT out of my calling range for 100BB. 50 60 or 70 BB i'll call though)

2) I open EP and a villain on BTN or in the blinds shoves his stack. I have a lot less of an Idea what this range is as the small number of times I've called this so far I've had QQ+ AKs and villains have had AK QQ+ and once TT.

3) The situation where I call an Open on MP and a villain squeezeshoves 100, 200 or even 300BB behind me. In those situations that I have noticed OR has had a 100BB stack but I've been effective deep.

So, I guess the question is, how do other people interpret these shoves?
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DaPhunk,

On those limits I would just 4bet for value myself rather than set-mine with my KK and invite others come alone.

As played I doubt that I'd fold my KK on NL2 where you just see so often people just spewing their money away. Of course it could be a bit different in ZOOM but now again, can we fold our 2nd best hand? :) While he could just think that he wants you and MP2 to fold with his AK and fight vs SB. :D So no information, I am calling it down.

Best Regards.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      SO you're fine calling his +200BB effective Jam then? I don't quite know what to make of it.

What do you think about the other spots mentioned? Lots of preflop shoving going on at this limit. Interesting one some time ago where I called to induce a squeeze with KK on CO (MP OR) but aggressive villain SB shoved 350BB effective deep rather than 3betting normally.
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      DaPhunk, do you have any info at all on the villain? These kind of spots are the reason I avoid playing 250bb deep :( . In a vaccuum I would fold but if I had any evidence at all that he is spewy (say I have 4 hands on him and he played in 3 of them or I saw him open shove flop) then I would call.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Holdem Manager 2 problem, hands won't mark and all I can do is copy straight out of pokerstars HH history. I have too many hands to find this one in particular.

So in other words, no stats right now :( I think he was the tight sort though, if he looked recreational I would likely have called.
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      FR 2NL tends to be nitty so a tight player shoving 250bb deep likely has AA/KK. We do not do well against this range. I like a fold.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      SO you're fine calling his +200BB effective Jam then? I don't quite know what to make of it.

Well, what would you do if you 4bet there and he 5bets? :) You really folding KK here vs unknown? :D Just because he jams?

What do you think about the other spots mentioned?

Didn't really consider them as question but I will go through them. :P

1) Open-shoves seem to often be weak to me so far. I call pretty wide for 100BB or less and think unless villain is incredibly tight its often a call with 88+ AQs AK. (I've seen some incredibly bad hands do this but prefer to keep AJ and AT out of my calling range for 100BB. 50 60 or 70 BB i'll call though)

Open-shoves are just gamblers usually. :D Especially for not even 100BB.

2) I open EP and a villain on BTN or in the blinds shoves his stack. I have a lot less of an Idea what this range is as the small number of times I've called this so far I've had QQ+ AKs and villains have had AK QQ+ and once TT.

Well, everything can happen, I would assume he wouldn't do that that often with KK/AA while he would just try to drag along. But some opponents pick such lines also with the nuts. Doubt I'd get away with my KK in this spot anyways without any information/stats.

3) The situation where I call an Open on MP and a villain squeezeshoves 100, 200 or even 300BB behind me. In those situations that I have noticed OR has had a 100BB stack but I've been effective deep.

This can be everything, especially while having another guy even in the pot. He might just tries to scare you away with his shove but doesn't want you to Call vs any kind of raise so you could hit with some PPs at the same time could shove with KK/AA, you will never know that till you Call down. It's still NL2, you can see everything there and folding KK would be as well as folding AA cause you are scared that someone hits a set. :D Only reason why I would consider doing it here is that it's ZOOM. Otherwise I am never-ever folding on normal tables.