When to call with small pocket pairs on the BB.

• 107e5
      107e5
      Basic
      I couldnt post this on the hand evaluation section as I dont have a solid example right now but it happened to me quite a few times. You are found on the big blind on a turbo SnG with blinds 100/200 with maximum 6 BB left.

There is a raise/push that covers your stack from behind. You are holding small pockets 22 up to 88. What is the right play to do?

Usually If the push comes from the button I will more certainly call as the pushing range of the button is wide and can include hands like 54s or k2.

If the raise is coming from Hidjack cuttoff then I am assuming that most of the times players are holding 2 high cards above my pocket and that is a 55-45 for me. With a short stack is this worth going for? Is this a profitable move in the long term assuming you are not on the bubble?

Furthermore do you want to be in a confortation with a raiser or would it be better to wait and go for the steal of the blinds later?

Just for further information I am playing 3.30 and 5.50 Sng Turbo tournaments on Ongame.

Regards

Nicolas
  • 2 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, 107e5!

Solid questions, however, it's literally impossible to cover this topic in a single or few posts. I will still try to give you some guidance and hopefully help you with late game understanding.

The further we are from the bubble in the push/fold stage, the less ICM tax we pay, therefore- the looser our calling ranges can be. This is how it usually works. Effective stack sizes also matter. Some people don't understand that and don't adjust properly. Game flow matters. Is the pusher a reg or a tight 1-tabler? Has he been pushing the previous orbits? What range we believe he pushes from that position(estimation)? Also, being this short on the BB-5-6bb, we often get too good of odds to fold any pair there. So, usually, yes- vs more standard loose ranges, calling low pockets sitting in the BB(with low ICM tax) vs BTN/CO/HJ is the correct play. You can even call a pusher from EP, if you believe he is wide enough.

Also, if somebody raises with <10bb or so, you should really consider whether he is a competent player(meaning he is trapping) or a fish that doesn't adjust to different stages of the game. Threat those raises as all ins though as you would hardly have any fold equity when you are so short. Even stop and go is probably not gonna work. It all depends on his raising range/sizing tell. If he raises a relatively wide range- 25%+ or so, going all in is fine. You can also try stop and go just in case. Maybe he misclick or fold to some boards, which would be lol, but lot's of people are bad.

The best you can do is get SnG Wizard or play with nash/ICM trainer to get a more comfortable feeling about these spots. Posting hands in the evaluation forum is also a great way to improve your game and share thoughts with our handjudges(including me) or other players.

Cheers!
    • 107e5
      107e5
      Basic
      Thank you very much for the reply.

I understand all the ideas expressed above.

Nicolas