[NL2-NL10] Was I pot commited?

• AltarEgo
      AltarEgo
      Bronze
      A brief outline:

6-player ring game, micro stakes.

I'm on the button holding A6s and call a raise 4x BB. There's two others to the flop.

It comes down: 9 :diamond: 6 :spade: A :spade:

I hit two pair. SB raises 3/4 pot, CO 3 bets.

Right now I have them both figured, or so I think. I'm putting SB on a AJ to AQ. I think the CO might have trip nines.

My stack is around $2.50 when the betting comes to me - the pot is swollen to around $4.

Do I shove all my chips?
  • 9 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Silver
      you better find the hand history :f_biggrin:

how were you already commited just by calling preflop, were you even playing with a 100 BB stack? :D
      still it really looks like you're either hardly beat or they have good equity against you. you're still not that commited.
    • AltarEgo
      AltarEgo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      you better find the hand history :f_biggrin:

how were you already commited just by calling preflop, were you even playing with a 100 BB stack? :D
      still it really looks like you're either hardly beat or they have good equity against you. you're still not that commited.
      It ended up they both shoved - the guy to my left had the AQ and the guy to the right had 99
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      "pot committed" means the size of the pot relative to your stack obliges you to call. This is not the case in the scenario you have described. You are not pot committed.

Whether or not you call/shove here is player dependant. I probably fold in a vaccuum, and shove if they look fishy.

EDIT

Also no-one can have trip 9s here, you mean a set.
    • AltarEgo
      AltarEgo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrbeer9999
      "pot committed" means the size of the pot relative to your stack obliges you to call. This is not the case in the scenario you have described. You are not pot committed.

Whether or not you call/shove here is player dependant. I probably fold in a vaccuum, and shove if they look fishy.

EDIT

Also no-one can have trip 9s here, you mean a set.
      Well the pot was more than my stack.

And trip nines is a set lol. They had pocket 9s.

Cheers though guys
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Originally posted by AltarEgoWell the pot was more than my stack.

1. OK, maybe you were then. I thought you were playing 100bb deep.

2. Trips = / = set. Trips is where you hold one card and the board is paired. Set is where you hold the pair and the board has the 3rd card.
    • AltarEgo
      AltarEgo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrbeer9999
      Originally posted by AltarEgoWell the pot was more than my stack.

1. OK, maybe you were then. I thought you were playing 100bb deep.

2. Trips = / = set. Trips is where you hold one card and the board is paired. Set is where you hold the pair and the board has the 3rd card.
      I need to get a hand converter, to uncomplicate things.

I never knew there was a difference between a set and trips lol - 6 years of watching poker and never knew that.
    • OarrO
      OarrO
      Bronze
      I think a big thing was missed here and the question unanswered.

When somebody is pot committed it's how many of their chips are in the pot relative to how many they have behind.

Your stack is $2.50 behind and a $4 pot, but how much of that pot have you actually committed to it by the sounds of things not much you just called the x4 BB raise the rest of the pot came from the other players so for instance the CO who 3bet say he raised it $3 with $2.50 left behind he is committing himself to the pot because the amount he has invested in to the pot. Where as you have only invested $0.20.

a good example is if i have AJ and im the BB and two people shove making the pot $5 and i have $2.50 it's an easy fold because what i have invested in to the pot is minimal.

Your understanding of the figures is right if i have committed X in to X surely I'm committed to the pot but you needs to be your money in the pot for you to be committed rather than just what size the pot is.

I hope this helped :f_love:

and if it comes across as condescending it isn't supposed to.

And i also thought trips and a set where the same thing :f_confused:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello AltarEgo,

Welcome to the English NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Would be nice if you used some hand converter, so we could also see stacks and everything. A lot of things could change.

Preflop: Why do you Call a raise with A6s? Did you have any information on the other guy? Calling and just hoping for a hit you wont play profitable your hand.

As played
      Postflop: He is not 3betting, SB is raising. Preflop 2nd acting guy is 3betting but postflop it's Bet/Raise/3Bet. Neither he can't have trips, he can have set - if he has 99 and hits 9 it's set, if it's 99X board and he has 9 then it's trips. Next question is what kind of limit we are playing? How deep we are, what are other guys stacks? But assuming those stories about the stack sizes I assume that you don't even play with full stack, therefore get it in and protect your hand.

Also you should be playing 100BB if you are playing BSS.

Best Regards.
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Originally posted by OarrOAnd i also thought trips and a set where the same thing :f_confused:
      No sir. It's a pretty important distinction, while hand values are the same, we want sets instead of trips.

"In Texas hold 'em and other flop games, three of a kind is called a "set" usually when it is composed of a pocket pair and one card of matching rank on the board;[3] It is called "trips" usually when it is made by one card that player has in the hole with two matching cards on the board.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poker_hands#Three_of_a_kind

Actually this begs the question of why other hands don't have different designations based on holecard vs. board composition.