I want to pay my rent!!!

• funluke111
      funluke111
      Bronze
      This isnt a plea for money its my goal.
      For me Poker is fun and thats the way it will allways be, ive been playing live for about 5 years and online since discovering PS 3 years ago. I do ok live and my winnings have aloud me a few little extras in life. A weekend away for the family, a nice dinner or a trip to Vegas for example. Online on the other hand is a total different story. Ive been using PT3 for the past 12 months and have tracked 110,000 hands. I spend most of my time at NL10 Fr and Zoom on Stars, but I just cant seam to get out of the micros using good BRM.
      My other motivation is my family. I want poker to start contributing to the family By paying the rent and I have untill 1st June 2013 to make it happen.
      I just want to find my mistakes and find more profit (especially online)
      Im not sure where to start so its back to school for me........

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      As i said above, poker is fun for me. but saying that i need to get out of the micros so poker can start contributing to the family.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      pretty much everything you can think of. One of my big problems online is i get bored very fast. Even if im hititng every flop and making hands i still get bored after a couple of hours, doesnt matter how many tables im playing. Live i can play 24hrs and still be interested in the game (maybe its a limit thing). Ive got very good BMR and i very rarely go on tilt, besides that my weaknesses are evrything else..

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      For me it means waiting for the right situation and getting maximum value out of the best possible hand. You cant play better poker then to get it all in when your in the lead..
  • 13 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Have you tried maybe adding some tables? How many tables do you play overall. Try maybe having like 1hour sessions and then take a break and later on come back, for some it's working (short sessions).

From the sentences you telling that you rarely go into tilt but you still bored? Don't you think that boredom makes you make even more stupid moves than tilt? :) Cause boredom usually leads doing some stupid things which you should and then you ain't concentrating enough and which can turn into tilting or playing out of the comfort zone and in the ABC play-style.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • funluke111
      funluke111
      Bronze
      Thanks Veriz,

Maybe i was a little to vague in my explanation regarding the TAG question. I understand the concept but was just trying to put in my words and not repeat it word for word as in the course.

More tables? when i first started playing i was opening 2 or 4 tables and that seamed to go pretty well. i could concerntrate well and i didnt feel like i was stressed at all. slowly I started opeing more and more tables untill i could manage 12 (with help from PT3). once again i wasnt stressed and didnt fell like i had rush decisions ect. Saying that there was obviously something wrong with my game as i only managed to win 2.7 buyins over a 12 month period.

Ive been playing zoom since it started in march and things seam to be going better for me now. The first 25,000 hands where a big learing curve and after loosing 7 buyins i have since adjusted my game and over the last 25,000 hands im up 20 buyins with an average winrate of 2.5 bb/100 hands. The problem with zoom is my HUD doesnt work (waiting for PT4. its a mac thing) which is forcing me to take more note on players and think through the hand better. Maybe thats not a bad thing? Right now zoom is keeping me from getting bored and i can play 800-900 hands per hour so im still getting to see a lot of hands and different situations..

I dont know if zoom is the answer and im sure in the long run its not but right now i look forward to sitting down and playing and for an hour or so...

sorry for the long winded message but i have to go and get the part 2 started..

cheers
      luke
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I see your problem, well taking notes isn't bad at all! It's even very good if you do that cause in the future whenever you move up and playing more higher then notes becoming very important role in your game.

About ZOOM what I can say, it's a great game and I also enjoy it. But it has side effects as people starting to play too much robot game and don't concentrate on the game at all. Which makes you less improving in your game which you should be doing in lower stakes.
    • marvinas
      marvinas
      Bronze
      well at least you're not thinking about dropping school / uni for poker, that's a good start ;)
    • funluke111
      funluke111
      Bronze
      if there was online poker when i was at school then i would of dropped it for sure... im glad all my ed-gu-ma-cation is finishd. lucky i didnt learn to much at school so there is room for all this poker stuff.....
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by funluke111
      if there was online poker when i was at school then i would of dropped it for sure... im glad all my ed-gu-ma-cation is finishd. lucky i didnt learn to much at school so there is room for all this poker stuff.....
      At least I see that school isn't only for learning but also it helps you to clear things up what you want to do in the future, if some kind of speciality even suits for you and etc. And many specialities are even this way that the real work you learn during your job and maybe just get like 20% from the school.

That's at least my view. :D
    • funluke111
      funluke111
      Bronze
      totaly right veriz. i admit i wasnt the perfect student.. if it wasnt fun, i didnt do it.... all i wanted to do was go skiing (snow), my student advisor on the other hand had other ideas. almost 20 years later im living in the swiss alps with a beautiful family and i run my own ski school. For some school is just what you do untill you find out what you want...... ok, learning to spell is kinda important and how can you calculate implied odds without maths.... so i guess its not all a waiste of time...
    • funluke111
      funluke111
      Bronze
      What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      i think as a total beginer guide its great. Definately gives you a solid understanding of what hands to open with and what to do when someone limps or rasies ect.. one thing that could be added is using position when someone limps form early position. Instead of just calling when 1 or 2 players have limped from EP why not raise with your suited connectors or Ax suited? QQ can get you into trouble aswell. If there was a 3bet or even 4 bet before you have to act, isnt it more profitable to fold instead of raising QQ in the long run?

Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      zoom nl10
      ill have to look thought my hand histroy for some more hands

What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. 46.3 and yes i cheated... the Equillab doesnt work for me as im on a mac.
    • funluke111
      funluke111
      Bronze
      Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.
      no mac version

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

ive had a look at some of the other answers from other members and preflop the equity is around what i would of though it should be being just over 50%. post flop as you know it halved and your now what some say is a 3 to 1 dog ( if im correct in saying that)

Question 2:
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

for a start folding is out of the question...
      BU is (in my opinion ) representing strenght on the turn by the min raise.
      He just checked the flop so you can rule out an over pair and if he was slow playing a flopped set would he want to raise more on the turn to protect his hand? if i had to put him on a specific hand i would say 44 or maybe 55.
      in this situation i would just call and see what come on the river. if i hit my flush or straight then i can bet for value and if a diamond comes i can represtent the flush and maybe push him off a set. the problem with raising the turn in this situation is if he re raises i will have to fold.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      nl 10 - 29.5.12
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

If there was a 3bet+4bet and it's up to you to act then most likely you ain't doing very good with the hand. At the best vs AK or something similar and most likely even have to fold it. :)

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • funluke111
      funluke111
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.
      good fold? nl 10

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      nl2 hero T9o

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

--------Equity---Win-------Tie
      MP2 41.41% 41.41% 0.00% KsQd
      MP3 58.59% 58.59% 0.00% 7h7c
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.