• ReservoirDonk
      Hi everyone! My name is Grega, I'm a 29 year old from Slovenia. I have been playing poker sporadicly for the past 6 years, starting with fixed limit and then soon after moving on to no limit. I've read some of the books and am a winning live game player (so far), though I have to admit, the selected crowd isn't very tough. My main motivation is to move that winning type of play from live poker to internet poker. So far I've had little success, since my playstyle is more of an intuitive one, for example, I prefer pushing opponents out of the pot and winning it without showdown (having noticed that a live player is weak and prone to folds). Which works fine in live poker, but online I don't get the same kind of results and end up losing money. All in all, I have over 30k hands played, live&online. I also managed once to win a ticket to a Italian Poker Tour 2k€ main event, but failed to come in the money.

So, on to the first three questions:

Q1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Money (big surprise, huh?). I want to be able to travel and go around the world, comfortably, not trying to scrape away every €, just so that I can afford a week of carefree travel. Plus I want to repay the loan I took for my apartment a little bit faster, so that kinda adds up :) .

Q2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Online hand ranges. I'm just so bad at it. It's horrible and it frustrates me to no end. I also thing that the mathematical aspect of my poker needs improving.

Q3:What does it mean to play tight aggresive?
      Mainly to be selective of your hands, tending to play the upper 10-15% strenght cards, while having the position to do so and playing them actively (preflop raising, continuation betting) avoiding the passive play of check/call, all the while not falling in love with your hands and still folding when you asses that you are either beat or it's not profitable to hold on. I'd categorize it personally as the cost efficient way (though that might depend on one's actual performance).

I hope that this wall of text of mine makes any sense :) Thanks for your attention and I hope to improve my play with your help.
  • 2 replies
    • ReservoirDonk
      So, I take it I'm either late or I did something wrong in my application for the beginners course?
    • veriz
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

About math I can just say we will have enough of it and also in the end the exam will be full of it where you can test out your math, specific lessons for it and you can always ask here if you have any questions.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.