10 man double or nothings

• celts08
      celts08
      Bronze
      Are these a profitable way to build a bankroll and is there any good articles or videos to watch on how to beat them. I'm wondering about them because they seem to be the most popular sit and go on merge.
  • 11 replies
    • nokifpp
      nokifpp
      Bronze
      They are good if you start a bit higher, but at the very micro stakes the rake is just to high to profitabely play them.
    • t7777777
      t7777777
      Basic
      Hi Celts08

I play the $1.08 Double or Nothings with a 66.67% in the cash. In 225 game I am up $58.00, I also get 35% rake back. So you can bankroll bill but it takes time. When I get to 62 bucks I will be going up to $2.16 double ups. I go up in limits when I have 30 buying for the level I plan on going up to. You learn a lot by working your way up this way and you get to play on everyone else's money.

Good luck

T7777777
    • celts08
      celts08
      Bronze
      Well at merge the smallest is 1+.08. So you have to win more than 54% of the time to profit. Do you think that is unprofitable. Not trying ot question your response, just not sure if stars has worse entry fees.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Yeah, I looked at these on Poker770 and the rake was 20% of the buy in :f_cry:

I think just normal payout structure SNG's are better, especially if you've done a decent amount of ICM training simply because you can never get more than twice your money in the DoNs, so you can be huge chip leader and then only get the same as a guy who scraped through on 2BB's :(
    • nokifpp
      nokifpp
      Bronze
      The Poker770 DONs at 20% rake are just stupid to play, you would need to cash more than 3/5 to make it profitable enough and you need a decent rakeback deal as already mentioned.
    • t7777777
      t7777777
      Basic
      Celts08

Merge is the one I play at to. I signed up when they offered rack back. Hope you signed up at the same time. Because they do not offer it any more. But even if you do not get rack it only 8% rack on 1,2,3 dollar DONs.
    • celts08
      celts08
      Bronze
      Unfortunately, I did not sign up when there was rake back. I feel like the turbo 9 man sngs dont go off very often.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, everyone!

DoN's- I have a very little experience with. To be honest, I never liked them much. But I've heard they are a good way to start build up a roll. I think SnG's in general are a very good way to start building a roll. Especially when you play FR ones- you play tight in the beginning-less room for mistakes, you play mostly strong hands- postflop is easier, variance is smaller than MTTs and the basics of ICM are easier to learn compared to postflop play imo. As for study materials, there you go: Click and Click2.

However, your current status unfortunately doesn't allow you to check these materials yet. I assure you gaining silver/gold status is super easy, even on the micro stakes once you play tracked to our site.

P.s. I've always been fan of 50:30:20 FR SnGs though. But everybody has his taste.

Cheers!
    • sokre
      sokre
      Bronze
      So after playing only SNGs (mostly 6 man turbo and some 10 man normal speed) I can honestly say I think double or nothing tournaments are bad for my play.
      Several reasons.
      Firstly, players are too tight. I found myself throwing hand like 1010 on a 10 8 6 same suit board against super loose fish (VPIP over 60) just because it is not worth risking stack. (I was chip leader) Reward pool is 5 players and it kills the game.
      Often I find worst fish players dominating 90% of the time playing every hand, and after they are thrown out (or rather if) game is unbelievably tight.
      This kind of play is very bad for any other kind of SNG - players play so tight in other games - turbos, or normal...

What I sometimes do is when playing 8 tables of 5$ 6 man turbos I play 1 table 10 man 5$ double. That way I often forget about that one and usually win double.

In my experience, playing 10 or 6 man normal SNG is much better for improving your game (I had over 20% ROI up to 5$ SNGs), but of course bankroll management is the key. (50 buyins rule)
    • celts08
      celts08
      Bronze
      @kurrkabin Thanks for the liunks to the articles.

@sokre I would like to play 6 and 9 mans but the 6 man turbos dont run on merge and the 9 man turbo takes a while to launch also.

After 140ish games I find myself down a dollar. With rakeback though I am up just a little over a dollar. I'm going to see where I stand at around 200 games. If I still can't seem to get my ROI up then I'm going to try the 6 man supers.
    • sdsbates
      sdsbates
      Bronze
      I have been playing quite a few DoNs on ipoker lately, have been doing ok, I noticed the hyper turbos are only 10% rake, compared to standard and turbos being 20% rake. Would be interested to hear any opinions on how much the 20% rake affects the chances of turning a profit on DoNs. I want to start playing the standard and turbo DoNs on poker770 (due to good rate of strategy points on poker770). I have noticed that the play is generally 'over tight' in the few I have played, would I be better off playing normal SnGs if rake is 20%?