SNG time!

• Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Aright, so in a couple of days $200 are going into pokerstars to start grinding SNGs. I'm gonna try out different types, 6man, 9man, 45man etc, both turbo & standard to see which type I'll want to continue with.

Now here is where I need you guys. I'm sitting on a 15,6" laptop playing most of my pokersessions(got a 40" TV aswell, but I have to move comp to use it so havent utilized it too much) which means I'll probably be hamstered to around 6-8 tables, and I wonder, is that too little? I see all these guys 24-tabling and shit, I've never played more than like 10 tables at once, and I'm not really sure I want to.

Whats your thoughts on the matter, is 6-8 tabling SNGs retarded?
  • 12 replies
    • Jezterscap
      Jezterscap
      Bronze
      play stacked and not tiled.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Originally posted by Jezterscap
      Does that really work well?
    • nokifpp
      nokifpp
      Bronze
      I play 10 at the same time normal speed 6 max and its working pretty ok for me, well, it can occur that you lose 10 in a row or more, but you must learn not to look to your cashier too much...still trying tho :)

Had a heater yesterday when i won like 6 of 10 but as for today i can say I am happy that in -3 buyins after 30 turnys:)

Good luck man :)
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      If it were me, I'd start with 4 tables, then 6. more than that I don't think I can keep up with game flow, so might as well tile or obscure some.

I prefer noticing what's going on my table when I'm not in a hand. It's up to you. If you are crushing the limit and going for volume, why not stack them? you can always pull final tables or interesting hands to one side.

good luck

(p.s. find the 45-mans less reg infested, but more idiot infested.. be careful not to shove too wide when they don't know what to fold)
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Guthans
      It seems to work out fine for some people where as some people really hate it.
      Just try playing some play money games or what not using stacked tables.
      Maybe it'll work?
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      It only works this way tbh when you play over 12table sng's. Few questions for you, have you ever been playing 6-8 tables before? Are you aware of the correct decisions when it comes to play this many table of sng's? If this is your first time, I suggest you start with 2 and move up one by one when you feel you can concentrate on one more table. Also, playing 6,9,45 or 180 man sng's have different strategy, you'll be able to follow?

Ingrid
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Guthans!

Good questions IngridN is asking you there! I would play 9 man for a couple of days and then 18 man for a couple of days and I wouldn't play more then 4 tables tbh. SnG's are all about volume. But I think you are going to try to find out what you prefer to play. I wouldn't overdo it then! Try to find what suits you best, study the strategy and then open up more tables imo.

Best of luck with those SnG's! And keep us up to date!

RasTweet
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Hey Guthans,

Some good advice in here already, the most important thing to remember is to only play with what you are comfortable if you are only comfortable playing 4-6 tables thats all you need to play for now. It should keep you busy enough and able to concentrate on a lot of the action, taking notes etc.

As you start to lose focus or check emails/FB/twitter and so on whilst you are playing a session it would be a good idea to open up a few extra tables and just keep building from there, It's better to play a few tables of quality A game poker, than 24 tables of breakeven or worse poker.

All the best and good luck,

Carl
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      wow! many of us trying to help now, sng is a special kinda animal ;)

so what do you think, Guthans?
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Haha, wow. Uhum, aright. Thanks for all the replies, help was surely found quick here, haha.

So, obviously I'm bronze at the moment, however that's because I've been playing untracked for abit. I've got previous success in both 6max cashgame(up to NL25) and pokerstars MTTs(Gutchiboi@officialpokerrankings)(up to $55). I've mostly been playing between 6-8 tables with ease. I did grind some 6max STTs today, went pretty well. I was running them on stacked, removing 3-handed & HU from the mix, and it actually worked really well. I tried up to 12 tables, which resulted in poor performance in the HU's giving me 4x 1st and 11x 2nd, not good obviously. I shrinked it to about 8-10 tables and that seemed to be just right. Tomorrow I'm going to put up my 40" and try tiled.

Currently I am marking hands and training ICM. I'm seriously thinking of starting a 2nd blog here on the English part of the forum, dedicated for my new found SNG love, haha. Time will tell, thank you for the help.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I'm seriously thinking of starting a 2nd blog here on the English part of the forum, dedicated for my new found SNG love, haha. Time will tell, thank you for the help.
      GoGo Blog!!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      I'm seriously thinking of starting a 2nd blog here on the English part of the forum, dedicated for my new found SNG love, haha. Time will tell, thank you for the help.
      GoGo Blog!!
      +1 :) :heart: