<< Buying a computer for Poker >>

• VISHMASTER
      VISHMASTER
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a PC for playing poker (only poker). I have made some research and have decided to buy Dell U2412M as the 24-inch monitor.

[img][IMG]https://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8900/monitordellu2412movervi.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
      [URL=http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/snp/topics/en/ap/in/bsd/monitor-dell-u2412m?c=in&cs=inbsd1&l=en&s=bsd&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=1&~ck=dellSearch&redirect=1]Dell U2412M[/URL]

Now I need to buy a CPU. From what I researched here, I found out that the most important thing is : SSD, after that processor and then RAM .

Requirements :
      ==========
      -> I play poker full time. ( 8- 10 hrs/day ). and 8-10+ tables for now.
      -> Budget not a problem, but at the same time I don't want 2 spend on some extreme high end config which won't be used for poker .

-> What SSD and with how much memory space?
      -> Think 500GB HDD is enough as I will only use it for poker ?(
      -> What processor ? guess Intel i5 is enough ? What specs in i5?
      -> How much RAM is needed ? 8 is enough or 16GB is better ?
      -> What graphic card should I buy and with how much memory ?
      If u know a lot about graphic cards , plz suggest a make with model no./specs if possible :)
      -> What cooling system should I buy ? if I had 2 run the comp for atleast 15+hrs/day
      -> I need 2 buy a nice mouse too for grinding
      -> I'll buy a normal keyboard as I won't be using it much anyway
      -> I'll buy a separate num pad . (Will be using num pad and mouse for playing)
      -> I'll be adding a second same monitor in a couple of months if tables increases

PC should be able 2 handle all poker related applications without any lag irrespective of how many tables I play.

Thanks in advance :)
  • 27 replies
    • VISHMASTER
      VISHMASTER
      Bronze
      What do u guys think about the monitor?? It costs ~350$ but has all the features, height adjustable , etc. :D
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      I think 8 gigs of ram is more than enough and 500gb harddrive is plenty. Poker rooms don't use that much graphics wise.
    • M0na1isa
      M0na1isa
      Bronze
      Hey mate, hope this will be helpful.

If you're planning just to play poker you won't be needing a SSD.
      But they're superfast, but way more expensive.

-> Think 500GB HDD is enough as I will only use it for poker

Is more than enough.

-> What processor ? guess Intel i5 is enough ? What specs in i5?

If you're using HEM2 and multitabling i5 is the minimum. But since i7 is not that expensive anymore I'd say invest on i7 so it can be sufficient for a longer period.

-> How much RAM is needed ? 8 is enough or 16GB is better ?

8gb is fine.

Then again, if it is just for poker, don't think too much into your VGA. anything with 512mb RAM will do the job (even less).

If u know a lot about graphic cards , plz suggest a make with model no./specs if possible

Variety is insane, gotta give me a budget mate.

-> What cooling system should I buy ? if I had 2 run the comp for atleast 15+hrs/day

nothing special.

Definitely invest on a decent mouse. Good mouse for a poker player is like a good shoe for a runner.

Get wireless. It helps in certain situations.

It is highly recommendable.

-> I'll be adding a second same monitor in a couple of months if tables increases

I'd prefer 2x20" instead of 1x24". Space difference between 20 to 24 ain't that much (Like if they both Full HD, same amount tables would fit anyways). But if you're sure you'll be adding a second one soon get a 27". Asus>Dell though.

I don't like desktop PCs that much anyways. I went for a laptop and a tablet (windows based). Two monitors. So I can travel and still be able to play comfortably in different situations. I spent a about $4k though.

If you give me an estimation of how much you're gonna spend, and your location, I can provide you helpful links.

Cheers,
      Shafa
    • Quadzzzzzzz
      Quadzzzzzzz
      Bronze
      I'll just give you a bit of idea...

I just got a DELL XPS l502x laptop. Specs are;
      i7
      6gb ram
      750gb hdd
      1gb NVIDIA graphics card.

Now if i'm honest, my laptop actually hasn't struggled with anything i've tried to run yet. I play some video games playing the extremely high end BF3 and i'm managing to run that at a decent rate.

For poker, I don't think you should need anything really top end. i5 and 8gb will suffice, if you can get an i7... then get one. But I don't think you will ever struggle to run anything poker related.

Oh and I agree about the SSD - not really worth the extra money in my opinion unless you're probably doing something like photoshop related using big picture/video files.
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by M0na1isa

GET an SSD, they are fast, you will be grinding a lot and your database will keep growing so you want to be able to pull up graphs and stats as fast as possible. Here is also poker PC thread with some SSD info Buying a computer for poker

Definitely invest on a decent mouse. Good mouse for a poker player is like a good shoe for a runner.
      I'm using this Razer Naga Multi-Tabling Hotkeys If you have more questions about the mouse you can ask me.

I'm saying wired all the way. I don't want to worry about batteries and with wired you can get one that lights up if you play in the dark. Razer makes some cool keyboards http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_IE/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.35156900 They also have extra buttons and they can record macros and you can assign extra buttons, like you click a key and it opens poker client or something else, if money is not an option for you then think about a nice keyboard, it will be superior in any way than a normal keyboard.

Don't get just a numpad you can get this http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_IE/pd/productID.221675100/categoryId.35156900 or this http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/5123 and again you can create macros and change the keys as you want and they are much more comfy than just a numpad.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      If you're running HEM2 you'll need to go top of the range to get it running smoothly :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

But no seriously, if it's just for poker the main things to focus on are your monitor (Looks like you have that sorted) and an ergonomic Mouse and Keyboard, of which the links to Razer stuff below is good. Or you could go with a rollerball mouse if you ever have issues with wrist pain.

RAM 8GB will be plenty, and a 500GB HDD is fine. Wouldn't worry much about your graphics card at all. Processor any low-mid range modern processor will do.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      I have an SSD. There is little point in it just for online poker, you will notice a benefit but not enough considering cost. 4GB RAM is plenty actually, though 8GB isnt very much more expensive, so if you have the budget definately go for it. Most motherboards done have room for more than 8GB. Id go for an i5 or better as your processor, and as someone else said graphics card is unimportant for poker alone, but if you want to do other things with your computer I would buy something like an ATI 5850 or a NVidia geforce GTX460 or better. Those cards are a little old now but I can still play any game I want with mine, and they arent very expensive.

On the other hand if your budget is insane go for a SSD, 8GB RAM, GTX 560, i7/xenon processor, 1TB HDD, 32in monitor. That would cost you a lot though.

On your choice of monitor: Dell products are generally good but very overpriced. Dont pay more than £140 or equivalent in euro for a 24in monitor, there are other brands that are just as high quality for that price or less.

For mice and keyboard: Razer stuff is good, you should check out the naga, a few poker players I know use it, has so many buttons for betsizing etc. Some people cant get used to it but if you can its excellent and will speed up your play. If you dont like the naga I just recommend any mouse that feels comfortable in your hand, and you can use for hours on end. Keyboard is actually less important, just get anything that you feel you can use easily. Im using a £7.99 keyboard and im no worse off for it.
    • VISHMASTER
      VISHMASTER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by M0na1isa
      Hey mate, hope this will be helpful.

Hi Shafa,
      Till a few months back, I though any config wouild be enough 2 play poker untill HEM2 released and every1 complained about lagging.
      I use HEM1 right now (tried HEM2 and did'nt like/don't think its worth buying).

Then again, if it is just for poker, don't think too much into your VGA. anything with 512mb RAM will do the job (even less).

If u know a lot about graphic cards , plz suggest a make with model no./specs if possible

Variety is insane, gotta give me a budget mate.
      Well, I spend ~350$ on the monitor, so planning on spending ~850$ (max.) on the CPU + mouse. Thanks a lot mate :)

-> I'll buy a normal keyboard for now as I won't be using it much anyway

Actually I have 2 withdraw from my poker BR to but this comp, so I'm planning on inverting in the essential / can't be upgraded in the future parts (like processor ) first.

As far as the keyboard is concerned , I'll buy a basic one 1st and upgrade it to wireless & with backlights like Krishjanis has in the upcomming months as I make profits from poker.

@Krishjanis- For Numpad = I had Logitech N305 in mind till now.
      Logitech N305

The Logitech G13 looks cool , but will it be useful for poker ?( It it worth paying double the amount ??
      Razor Nostromo looks cool and a bit scary (I might get my finger stuck in it :f_o: )

I play Sngs (mainly DONs ), and I am looking to buy a mouse and numpad that will be easy on my wrist.
      As far as the extra buttons on the mouse are concerned, I don't think it'll be useful for me now as These games are pretty much push/fold ofc with stealing.

I'd prefer 2x20" instead of 1x24". Space difference between 20 to 24 ain't that much (Like if they both Full HD, same amount tables would fit anyways). But if you're sure you'll be adding a second one soon get a 27". Asus>Dell though.
      Actually I did a lot of research on monitors for using them 10+ hrs/day and found out that 24-inch is the best and if ur planning 2 buy more than 24 inch, u need 2 sit even back as the distance between ur eye and monitor should be more for 27/30 inch monitors to avoid any long term side effects.

I thought I'll buy the same monitor again after some 6 months and rotate the screens to portrait with having 2 monitors side-by-side . :D
      The main reason I buy this monitor is bcos the height can be adjusted so that it won't affect my neck after prolonged use

I don't like desktop PCs that much anyways. I went for a laptop and a tablet (windows based). Two monitors. So I can travel and still be able to play comfortably in different situations. I spent a about $4k though.
      I use a laptop right now and the main reason I prefer as PC is, u don't have to keep charging it / switch-off after it has fully charged like a laptop.
      Also my laptop gets really hot and think PC is better for using 15+ hrs/day and the battery in the laptop will also get worn out soon.
      + I guess PC costs a bit cheaper than a laptop for the same config and I can upgrade a PC more easily than a laptop. :)

If you give me an estimation of how much you're gonna spend, and your location, I can provide you helpful links.
      I live in India and my budget is <900$ for CPU+ mouse. :)

@Krishjanis- I have no idea about SDDs, can u recommend a SDD with memory size? I think an SDD alongwith a 500GB HDD will be good?

My plan is to invest wisely on stuff that can't be upgraded like processors , I'll buy a good config when it comes 2 RAM and other things and slowly upgrade(keyboard ) in the forthcoming months.

TO all : I play only car racing games (mailny NFS and GranTurismo). I'll buy a PS3 to play games with a Logitech G27 and playseat maybe later ;)
      Logitech G27+ Play seat :f_love:
      So I'll use comp only 2 play poker/download movies, check mails (no games).

@esuohdla - If I can find a similar monitor with similar features ( height adjustbale) for a cheaper price, I'll go for it for sure.. ty :)

Thanks a lot every1 for taking your time and giving me the best advice :)
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      For Numpad = I had Logitech N305 in mind till now.
      Logitech N305

The Logitech G13 looks cool , but will it be useful for poker ?( It it worth paying double the amount ??
      Razor Nostromo looks cool and a bit scary (I might get my finger stuck in it :f_o: )
      Dude fuck that N305 thing, you said you will be playing 8-10 hours a day. That thing will destroy your arm. G13 and Nostromo are made for gamers who pretty much play the same amount of hours, it will be much nicer on your wrist. Even if you don't use the max capabilities of them then the comfort is still worth the price.
    • VISHMASTER
      VISHMASTER
      Bronze
      @Krishjanis - Thanks a lot mate, I've decided 2 buy the G13, think it'll be worth it.
      About mice = I want to buy one which will be comfortable 2 use and won't cause me any wrist pain after long sessions. Now that I have decided 2 go with G13 for numpad, I don't think I'll need extra buttons on the mouse.
      If u or any1 else have anything in mind, let me know.

Thanks a lot :)
    • booger6o4
      booger6o4
      Bronze
      Wow
      I can't believe some of the stuff people are recommending.

even for a gaming rig you should have an i5 MAX the price point of i5 and i7 isn't worth it

you will only benefit from i7 if your video editing, graphics design etc etc.

especially poker which uses little cpu and ram.

good monitor choice but are you planning to multi table?

suggest dual or go for 27"

my suggesting:
      1) i5 cpu 199.99
      2) mother board 99.99
      3) gtx 560? video card 149.99
      4) ram 8gb 49.99
      5) psu 69.99
      6) case 69.99

640 b4 tax
    • booger6o4
      booger6o4
      Bronze
      Ignore what i posted just read your original post. forgot to add hard drive and such.

If your using this strictly for poker and nothing else like games you can have a super cheap system. It will handle everything with no lag.

for mouse and keyboard you can use a logitech combo. I have the mx 550 and never get tired from games or poker.

AMD quad core 965 black $

Mother board

ram 8gb

video card (any video card really)
      evga 550ti superclocked 124.99

psu
      500w ocz (nice clean cables and cheap) 44.99

case

Hard drive
      WD caviar blue 500gb 79.99

cd/dvd drive

TOTAL $576

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=46281&vpn=HDZ965FBGMBOX&manufacture=AMD&promoid=1018
      http://ncix.com/products/?sku=63715&vpn=M5A97&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1018
      http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57869&vpn=KHX1600C9D3K2%2F8GX&manufacture=Kingston&promoid=1018
      http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59502&vpn=01G-P3-1557-KR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1067
      http://ncix.com/products/?sku=33040&vpn=OCZ500MXSP&manufacture=OCZ%20Technology&promoid=1364
      http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57910&vpn=Z9%20Plus&manufacture=ZALMAN%20TECH&promoid=1018
      http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58402&vpn=WD5000AAKX&manufacture=Western%20Digital%20WD
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      omg 8-10 hours of poker everyday? really?
    • VISHMASTER
      VISHMASTER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aceonetheriver
      Yeah.. I play 8-10hrs Double or Nothing sngs.. So its very easy 2 concentrate for a longer time.. :)

Btw.. I have ordered Razer DeathAdder Black Edition for 45$ :D
      Can't wait 2 see how it is :)
    • VISHMASTER
      VISHMASTER
      Bronze
      Hi all,

So I have decided to buy

Intel i-5 processor Think intel is better than AMD ?(
      8 GB RAM
      500 GB hard disk

I have bought Razer DeathAdder Black edition as mice
      I'll buy Dell U2412M for a monitor.

About graphic card, which 1 should I buy if I want to play the "Need For Speed Hot Pursuit" which released in 2011 ?? How much will it cost?

I think the above configuration with an appropriate graphic card will run the game with the best display graphics and without any lag ??

Thanks in advance :)
    • Quadzzzzzzz
      Quadzzzzzzz
      Bronze
      not really a graphics card expert but here are the need for speed requirements!

http://www.needforspeed.com/en_GB/node/7410
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VISHMASTER
      Yeah.. I play 8-10hrs Double or Nothing sngs.. So its very easy 2 concentrate for a longer time.. :)

wow sick volume ! u think u can do this if u play 50-50 on stars?
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      1) Intel i5 2400/2500
      2) HDD - Samsung F3; Western Digital Caviar Black
      3) SSD - Crucial M4, Samsung 830, Intel 320
      4) Motherboard - MSI B75A-G43 B75 S1155 for example. Around 60€($90) is fine.
      5) Ram - Elixir 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 CL9. But actually free of choice.
      6) Case - BitFenix Outlaw Midi-Tower - black
      7) PSU - CHIEFTEC GPA PSU 500W 12CM ATX2.3 80PLUS

If you dont play games, you wont need a graphic card at all! Because i5 has a good integrated graphics on its board that can handle any office tasks(poker included, videos, films, music, internet etc).
      I guess the Radeon 6870 is the minimum to play with good graphics Need for Speed and it costs around $200. For future gaming you would need $350+. So I would suggest to stick with PS3 :)
    • Skraggy
      Skraggy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VISHMASTER

Btw.. I have ordered Razer DeathAdder Black Edition for 45$ :D
      Can't wait 2 see how it is :)
      Razer make awesome mice imo so I'm sure you're going to love it! Just make sure you use it on a good surface/pad ;)