AK offsuit UTG Late Stage

• LooseDonk
      LooseDonk
      Global
      Hey everyone,

Curious to hear some feedback and opinions about this situation that I am sure a lot of people may have found themselves in. In the partypoker pokerfest main event I managed to reach the last 30 players in the tourney, after a rollercoaster of a tournament I am at 700k chips, with chip average around 1 million. blinds would be I believe 20k-40k with 4 or 5k antes. I am UTG holding AK offsuit and open for 80k, folds around the table. Big blind who is the most active player at the table, raising many hands and often folding to a 3 bet puts me all in. I call and see AA and lose the tournament.

I folded AK twice in this tournament pre flop because of reads I had on the specific situations and it obviously helped me make it this far. However so close to the final table and wanting to catch up to the chip leaders that are all at around 2-3 mill shouldyou be willing to gamble everything on AK or could I have waited for a better spot ?

Thanks
  • 10 replies
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      Sounds like a easy easy call with AK, especially if BB is really aggressive. It sounds like you are playing really tight when you shouldn't be. It would take a lot for me to fold AK pre flop. You need to be shooting for the top few places in MTTs so until you reach the final table you shouldn't be considering making tight folds.
    • LooseDonk
      LooseDonk
      Global
      So you think that in this spot you just have to risk it and suck it up when you run into bullets. As opposed to continuing a small ball approach and moving your chips in when you flop a solid hand ?
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      Um AA is just 1 hand in his range (not counting combos). You're being results orientated. :P
    • LooseDonk
      LooseDonk
      Global
      Good point, it still stings though to go so deep without making the final table I guess. Thanks for your time, and GL at the tables. :)
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hi Loosedonk and welcome to the mtt strategy forums =)

Like Andy already pointed out you did nothing wrong when calling with AK.

His range consists of many hands. I would give him a range like this:
      99+, ATs+, KQs, AJo+

Since he was very active the range might even be wider. Against this range you have ~55% Equity. Therefore it is an easy and obvious call.

Folding AK preflop is a bad decision most of the times. Your equity is just too good considering the pot odds. Furthermore you are blocking AA and KK.

In the end you might be a bit too tight and should loose up a bit. Solid Postflop play is only one part of the game. The other one (and in my opinion more important one) is about preflop pushing ranges, resteal ranges and calling ranges against these.

If you have further questions feel free to ask. I hope to see you around in the strategy forums more often.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • LooseDonk
      LooseDonk
      Global
      Thanks Asaban,

Yeah at the time before I saw the AA I thought I made the right move as well, I guess like Andyuk pointed out because I lost I have been second guessing my move. Could you send me more details about coaching concerning mtt's ?
      Thanks for your time.
    • Vito992
      Vito992
      Bronze
      1. You raise UTG --> normally you should get repsect. A re-reaise from him -> I don't think he's protecting the blinds. He must be realising that you've got at least AQ+ or 10+, and a re-reaise must mean a stronger hand AK or JJ+
      2. Did you see the BB's hands? Maybe he just have a good run of cards, so you can't be sure
      3. According to math, it's a good call. But are you ready to risk the whole tournament? You get about 50% against a pair QQ-, 30% against KK's and you're an underdog against AA's. I don't like the chances, even against 22's. So i would probably fold.
      4. If it would be a cash game, you can call because of the pot odds. But in a tournament, it's all about remaining in the tournament.
      5. If you folded the hand, you could show it to the other players so they know how tight you are, and your raises would get more respect.

Maybe i'm wrong, idk. =) But this is my opinion
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vito992
      5. If you folded the hand, you could show it to the other players so they know how tight you are, and your raises would get more respect.
      ZOMFG he folds AK!!1 let's 3bet the hell out of him :f_eek:
      i wouldn't ever want people to know that i can fold AK just like that, and specially not with the dynamics. what's your preflop continuing range then, like 1%?

not that i agree a lot with the other points either but felt like picking on this specifically
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Originally posted by LooseDonk
      Thanks Asaban,

Yeah at the time before I saw the AA I thought I made the right move as well, I guess like Andyuk pointed out because I lost I have been second guessing my move. Could you send me more details about coaching concerning mtt's ?
      Thanks for your time.
      The best idea would be to contact me via Skype.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • LooseDonk
      LooseDonk
      Global
      @Vito: Thats the debate right there, in such a large MTT so close to the final table should it stay about pot odds or tournament life. But because of the outcome I wish I had waited for a better spot :)
      @Tomaloc: Although I agree with some of Vito's points , I would never show anyone in an mtt that I folded AK, the only spot I folded it in was in the midstage of the tournament when I opened UTG , middle position had 1/2 my chip stack and pushed all in, and player right after had about 2 times my stack snap re raised all in. I assumed I was racing against one or two plpayers or that one of them could also have AK which would be bad for a race and got out of the way. I would have lost that hand as one had AK and the guy who had me covered JJ (he won)

@Asaban: Alright, will contact you for details.

Thanks guys.