2p2 is down so here I am!

• TheBowlBoy
      TheBowlBoy
      Bronze
      Hey everyone. Like the title says, I'm a regular 2p2 user but they have been down for too long. I never realized how much time I spent reading online poker forums because since they have been down, I have been very bored much of the time.

Many other forums don't have decent traffic but it looks like that is not a problem here so I think I will stick around.

I made this account here a long time ago but never got active with it.

I'm playing 25NL FR on Stars. Back in March I had the opportunity to visit Stars office for the March player meeting. That was a lot of fun, and a great experience. Feel free to ask me any questions about that.

I've recently become very interested in staking a few players for the micros. I've done a lot of reading on the subject and think that I'll give it a try before the end of this month. If any body has any additional tips or advice I'd love to hear.
  • 24 replies
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      hi
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      what was the trip to stars office like
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Hi TheBowlBoy,

Hows it going?

Don't forget that if you pass our poker quiz, you'll be able to receive the free $50 starting capital. For details please click here.

If you ever need anything feel free to drop us a post, or send us a CS ticket and we'll be happy to help.

Take it easy,

Mark.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi TheBowlBoy,

Warm welcome to our community! I hope you'll enjoy your stay.

How was it to meet everyone at the Stars office? I recently had the pleasure to meet Lee Jones as he was coming to our London event and spent the evening with our players. It was great fun, I know many players appreciated his presence and could discuss all kinds of topics.

What was discussed in the March meeting then? Any interesting topics we could hear about?

We also have a staking forum and here you can read about the forum rules when it comes to staking requests. Maybe you could share your opinion with me on that and see if you have anything to add to it.

Looking forward to see you on the forums.
      Ingrid
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      wanted to say go away :coolface:

but welcome :megusta:
    • TheBowlBoy
      TheBowlBoy
      Bronze
      Hey thanks for the welcome everybody.

The trip to Stars was fun, insightful, and overall a great experience - especially in my case since I've never had much opportunity to travel.

The whole thing was coordinated by SteveD from PokerStars. The meetings included him as well as several other Stars staff members, most notably Isai, the owner and Lee Jones.

The meetings started in the morning and went to 6pm both days. Lunches were catered and there were plenty of snacks and refreshments on hand.

Topics covered were everything from software features, buy-in and rake structures for cash games, security and bum hunting issues.

I was in the board room at the time Zoom went live with real money play so we talked a lot about that too.

All the players who attended that meeting were cash guys so we didn't get into any tournament specific issues.

I emphasized the need for lower rake caps at NL10-NL50. I want Stars to look at the caps in terms of bb and not in terms of $$. I also brought up the idea of having smaller cash bonuses available at better FPP rates. Like Supernovas being able to purchase a $500 bonus at .016 per FPP once a month or something to help with variance. It seems that lower tier Supernova's are only looking at being able to cash the $4k bonus a couple of times a year which is a long time to wait for you money so they often end up taking the smaller but lower EV bonuses or they play satellites.

I can't really comment on what Stars will or will not do as per my NDA but overall it was a very positive experience.

After each days meetings we were taken out to dinner to very nice restaurants and SteveD took us out for a couple of beers on the second night.

The IOM is very quaint looking. Lots narrow pedestrian only streets lined with shops. The people seemed very friendly.

There was talk of going to Lee Jones' house on the second night for a cash game but we were all going home the next day and a couple of us had to be at the airport at 5am :(
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey BowlBoy,

What does your name mean btw? You a big fan of bowls? :D

Really jealous that you were selected for the stars meeting, did you bump into Lee Jones anywhere on your travels? He is a big part of PokerStrategy.com and even comes to our VIP parties!

So how come you are still playing FR? Most people are transforming over to 6max and I assume "fish" or recreational players prefer 6max because its alot quicker so generally games are softer right?

I really do hope you will settle well in here at PokerStrategy.com, although we don't have the BBV mentality and lots of trolling, we do have so much to offer, in the blogs section we have players from nl2-nl20k blogging on a daily basis, we also try to tie in the rest of our business model to the forum (education/community)

Looking forward to seeing you contributing some more on the forum..

Patrick :f_cool:
    • TheBowlBoy
      TheBowlBoy
      Bronze
      Hey pleno :)

I actually got my SN from r/l friends years ago. It was the first time I ever played NL cash ( we used to just play limit in like 2006).

Game was .25/.50 with $20 buyin :) . I ran so good and kept busting people that I had trouble stacking my chips. Chick sitting to my right was even helping but they just kept coming in so somebody suggested that I use an empty chip bowl. Guy across from me started calling me bowlboy.

Lee was at the meetings and came out to dinner with us so I did get a chance to talk with him a bit. His book was the first poker book I read.

I played 6max when I first started out. Switched to FR because I wanted to try this mass tabling thing and get more FPP's. I was a nit back then. I'm pretty laggy now though and like the FR dynamic more. I just find it easier to hand read the narrower ranges of the regs and the fish are still fish. I think 6max might have some tougher, more tenacious regs and higher winrates are definitely possible but I can play 22/19 style while 24 tabling full ring and get away with it.

Full ring seems even more fun now with a lot less regs due to them all grinding zoom.

I'm definitely interested in contributing but I noticed I'm unable to access the forum for the stakes I'm playing. I have to get some points or something. I don't plan on playing on other sites though so not sure what I should do.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi BowlBoy!

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com!

Like almost everyone I'm jealous about your trip to the PokerStars main office! :( Looks like you really made the best of it!

Like you said you can't access the forums/videos/articles... for your stakes this is because you have the basic status. The higher your status the more parts of the website you can access.

To get to Bronze status all you have to do is pass the quiz and receive your free $50 bankroll on one of these pokerrooms (it depends from which country you are which site you can choose).

To get to silver, gold, platinum... you have to played tracked to PokerStrategy.com in one of the poker rooms we provide for you (link above).

But since you already are playing on PokerStars and you don't want to play anywhere else you can't really get to a higher status. There is however another way. We do have a points shop where you can buy points and get a higher status.

For more information about our status and points system click here.

I hope this was the explanation you were looking for? :D

And of course even if you don't get a higher status I hope to see you more often on the forums!

RasTweet
    • TheBowlBoy
      TheBowlBoy
      Bronze
      Hey I just took the quiz for fun. I didn't read the stuff because I thought I should be smart enough to pass it already. But guess what. I failed :)
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      :f_eek:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBowlBoy
      Hey I just took the quiz for fun. I didn't read the stuff because I thought I should be smart enough to pass it already. But guess what. I failed :)
      It is based on the basic articles designed for people who have no experience in real money games. Don't think that anyone beating NL5+ or so would agree with quite a few answers in there. :f_biggrin:

But once the noobies pass the quizz they get acess to more advanced articles and can develop their game accordingly.
    • mazaq
      mazaq
      Bronze
      pokerstrategy > 2+2 :f_cool: :P
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      You have 5 attempts altogether! ;)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey pleno :)

I actually got my SN from r/l friends years ago. It was the first time I ever played NL cash ( we used to just play limit in like 2006).

Game was .25/.50 with $20 buyin :) . I ran so good and kept busting people that I had trouble stacking my chips. Chick sitting to my right was even helping but they just kept coming in so somebody suggested that I use an empty chip bowl. Guy across from me started calling me bowlboy.

Lee was at the meetings and came out to dinner with us so I did get a chance to talk with him a bit. His book was the first poker book I read.

I played 6max when I first started out. Switched to FR because I wanted to try this mass tabling thing and get more FPP's. I was a nit back then. I'm pretty laggy now though and like the FR dynamic more. I just find it easier to hand read the narrower ranges of the regs and the fish are still fish. I think 6max might have some tougher, more tenacious regs and higher winrates are definitely possible but I can play 22/19 style while 24 tabling full ring and get away with it.

Full ring seems even more fun now with a lot less regs due to them all grinding zoom.

I'm definitely interested in contributing but I noticed I'm unable to access the forum for the stakes I'm playing. I have to get some points or something. I don't plan on playing on other sites though so not sure what I should do.
      Cool, thanks for reply, sorry didn't see that you had already briefly bumped into Lee, my bad :)

Whats the biggest difference between Zoom and normal full ring games? I'm quite familiar with the 6max dynamics but would be interested in seeing how the full ring version is developing alongside. What do you think about the future of full ring? Think it will slowly die off of do you think there are more reasons why people will continue to grind it out there?

btw you've never bragged until you've said that you've came to the PS offices in Gibraltar, maybe we can do something about that one day :)

GL in the quiz!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      omg! :D no way! Thankfully you can try another 4 times! :f_cool: #thistimeitmustberight
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I think I failed first time too :(
    • TheBowlBoy
      TheBowlBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1

Cool, thanks for reply, sorry didn't see that you had already briefly bumped into Lee, my bad :)

Whats the biggest difference between Zoom and normal full ring games? I'm quite familiar with the 6max dynamics but would be interested in seeing how the full ring version is developing alongside. What do you think about the future of full ring? Think it will slowly die off of do you think there are more reasons why people will continue to grind it out there?

btw you've never bragged until you've said that you've came to the PS offices in Gibraltar, maybe we can do something about that one day :)

GL in the quiz!
      I have probably played less than 50k hands of Zoom tbh. I really didn't like it though. The games were so nitty that I found I was getting much less vpp/hand. I know that for some, Zoom can help you get more hands in per hour, but not really if you an already 24 table comfortably.

With Zoom there is no seat selection and there is no shorthanded play. My winrate is highest when there are 3-4 players at a fullring table. At zoom you never play less than 9 or 6 handed.

Another thing that I do not like is there are not Euro tables. At 25NL and up there an advantage to playing Euro tables because the rake caps are lower in terms of bb. The $$ amount is still relatively the same but I think that bb is what matters. Plus, 25NL in Euros is like 32NL or something, so you get the same player pool at higher stakes.

I think that at least below the midstakes, full ring will be around for a long time. Many fish still play it. I think a lot of them don't use the advanced filters in the lobby and just randomly choose games. A lot of times if I search a fish that busted a 25NL FR table they'll end up on a 25NL 6max table. For many FR regulars, it is just easier to play more tables with tighter ranges because post flop decisions are easier whereas 6max puts you in many more marginal spots so it can be more difficult to get a lot of volume while maintaining an okay winrate. It's very common to see supernova's grinding out NL10 FR for example, where I doubt there are many at NL10 6max.

With more and more countries setting up licensing for online poker, and hopefully the US comes back in the future, I think that increased player pool will make many dying formats more sustainable. Maybe even LHE has a future.
    • TheBowlBoy
      TheBowlBoy
      Bronze
      Took the quiz again and passed. I think I failed the first time because I play a lot more aggressively than the starting hand chart recommends.

Why does it tell you to over limp hands like KQs when it is clearly a value raise?