Big step forward!

• gigenieks
      Hello, everybody!

Caution: this will be quite honest & long introduction!

So let's start - I'm 22 years old. Yesterday, I finally decided to leave my studies (IT bachelor, 3 years). Some of you will ask good question "why"?

Hmm... it is not that simple (or short) to explain my reasonings in english, but I will try:

:diamond: Don't get me wrong, I really like computers and stuff, but IMHO the way "they" teach is absolutely outdated and boring. You get done one thing by the time you do next one, you have forgotten what you supposedly learnt few days or weeks ago. Most of my peers are chasing those grades not skills or knowledge.

So what we got? You learn few years subjects etc which you consider boring and outdated, not really remember or have any knowledge after it and get some diploma, which quite probably doesn't guarantee you job!

:diamond: Another reason is: IMO, my parents want me more to graduate than me! Yesterday, I started thinking - who really made that decision me to go to university my parents or I?! I don't remember that I had that decision... So in short, although I know for sure that they will REALLY disagree with my decision, I feel like I have to do this - I have to live my own life. Even if this is one big "mistake" I have all rights to do it!

In the end, I like this Osho quote:
      "Never ask that life should be without risk,
      and never ask for security, because that is asking for death.
      Live dangerously - because that is the only way to live."

I want to become independent from my parents, but in order to do that I need to rent my own apartment in order to do that I need money.
      I sincerely believe that one can earn enough money from poker to life with "quite" comfort.
      I guess all above explained "why" I'm going to play poker more seriously than before. Don't get me wrong I also really enjoy playing poker! I think it's fantastic game! :)

Now little about my poker.
      2 or 3 years back I did that $50 quiz and choose FullTilt. Didn't lose all my money, but didn't get chance to "realize" my bonus because FT is down...

About 2 weaks ago I deposited in PartyPoker (~20$), which I lost yesterday.
      2 days ago I read like 100 or more forum threads and by some of posts decided to start reading:
      Harrington on Online Cash Games - 6 Max No Limit Holdem
      I'm in page 62 now. I don't just read, I also make notes while reading.

Also my best friend plays poker some time now (like 4-6 months). Have some ups some downs. He had read 2.5 books. He is trying to earn some cash from poker too.

As, I don't think my parents will support me by giving some $ in order to me play cash game on micro tables, I guess my only option for now is:

The book I'm reading is about cash game. But what would be your advice about freerolls? Is here - in - some section of articles or videos or something else specially meant for Freeroll tournaments??

I think that is all I wanted to say. Sorry for my english.

I hope I will get some advices, support etc. :)
      Goodbye for now.
  • 10 replies
    • Paakjis
      Dude, that is crazy. Hate it or not, quiting school in third year is terrible if you dont have any income. My best advice for u would be, find a day job while your parents dont kick you out of housr and therefor u will have some br for micros. About Harrinton book, its good to be read, but basiccly all of the stuff there is for thinking players, just use ps articles and u should be ok at begining. But again i advice you find your place in normal job market and then think about poker career!

• RazDirk
      Since you're 22 already, don't think quitting your studies sounds like a good plan. Since you're just getting started in poker imo best just keep going with your studies and treat poker more like a part time job\hobby :>

As for moving out and getting your own place, its gonna take a while. Because even if you make 8/100bb its gonna take you a long time to make a proper Bank Roll so you can start withdrawing and moving out etc.

Not sure about the book [Have not read it]. But I think you should start at Fullring games and then later on move to short handed.
    • Tomaloc
      hello :spade:

so you want to play for a living? you can ask any pro around here, it's a seriously tough path.
      how much of an average monthly income do you need? (remember variance) and you're starting from $0? as you may have guessed, it's going to take a while before you can even think about playing for a living...

i'd still go for the diploma. even if you feel that they don't teach much of what you actually really need to know (i know the feeling) it's still some kind of backup. what's your plan if everything goes wrong?
    • maheepsangari
      Originally posted by gigenieks
      But what would be your advice about freerolls? Is here - in - some section of articles or videos or something else specially meant for Freeroll tournaments??
      For Freerolls.

If you wanna work on your cash games this would be a good place to start.

To make a living off of poker you need to have a decent enough bankroll dude. You need to figure, depending on the country you live, what limits you can play and make enough money on a regular basis to make a living. For example I'm from India and NL50 is good enough to make a living here so in about a month or so when I move to NL100+ I'll know I can start dipping into my bankroll for my living expenses etc and actually start living a bit comfortably.

Once you figure out that limit then play until you reach there and when you start crushing that limit you can consider playing full time, till then try and get some regular job. It sounds like a lot but trust me its not, if you're dedicated enough and work your way up right you'll be crossing one limit a month so going from NL2 to NL100 could take you like 6-7 months (many people have taken a lot lesser) and then when you have a good enough bankroll and decent winnings you can quit and play full time.
    • maheepsangari
      And remember even after you reach the limit you decided you'll need 5-6 months of living expenses aside so that you don't have to rely on your bankroll a lot and can play tension free. I'm talking about a 100 BI BRM and 5-6 months living expenses set aside. When you have that bankroll you're good to go.
    • IngridN
      Welcome back to the forums, gigenieks! Making a decision on how to turn your life around and get in control (especially at a young age) is not easy, at all.

I agree with the guys above that quitting school may not be the best choice for you at the moment. If you really want to be independent, you must make sure that you don't have to rely on anything/anyone. Right now, school is a safe point for you and living at home (even if you hate it)!! Put all that negative thinking into positive and start using that energy to finish school and have a part time job next to it. Build your independence gradually.

I know this is easy to say but I at least speak of my own experience. I moved out when I was 16 years old and studied/worked my arse off for many many years in order to buy bread every week. It's really not easy but it will pay off. However, education is important even if you don't think you'll be using it ever. It's on your CV and can lend you a job when you most need it.

Wish you best of luck with whatever you decide next to. Keep us updated!
    • ArkhamAsylum
      Dude there is another side to poker they don't show you on tv.

People loose heavily. People loose their houses, finances etc to gambling. DO NOT count on this as the future. Go back to school. This is really putting all your eggs in one basket, there are tonnes who don't make it in poker.
    • Xantos

my suggestion would be:

1. give yourself more time to make a good decision - and make it a hard one, too.

It might be that your parents shaped the decision, but going to university is actually not the worst decision. I totally get what you're saying about chasing grades over skills.

But the other side of the medal is that even to get the most interesting jobs to apply your skills, you actually often need a university degree. In theory, companies should hire you for your skills, in practice, they also do it for your CV/degrees.

Maybe see university as working on your table image! ;)

2. see poker as a "evening pastime" for the time being.

Even if you work on your university full-time, you should still find quite some hours every day to take poker seriously.

p.s.: a list of our freerolls if you might not yet have found it:
    • Coffisen
      You shoulndt go back to school.
      It seems that you have more personal reasons why your not finishing school.
      But seriously dude, get a job... and play poker. If you have a steady income from poker in a few months/years, then you maybe can start considering to only play poker..
    • RasTweet
      Hey gigenieks!

I do get why you stopped with your studies! I know many ppl who stopped during their last year!

But I don't think this is a very smart decision. Like Ingi said earlier, your diploma is going to be on your CV! Just think about the following: What if poker doesn't work out like you think it's going to? Well I guess you'll need to get a job. What job can you with your current diploma and what with your uni diploma? And what is the difference in $$$? I think there will be a huge difference in your with or without your uni diploma if poker doesn't work out.

I do hope you do the right thing!!