LAG play causing me leaks?

• DalTXColtsFan
      I'm a loose-aggressive player by nature, especially on the remarkably tight tables I play on Cake Poker. I usually play 20NL but occasionally venture into 50NL or drop back to 10NL when the 20NL tables have long wait lists.

I do a LOT of stealing from the blinds and late position because it almost always works, so there will be times where I'll steal from both blinds, BTN and CO, and then I'll actually have cards in HJ and MP+1, so there are times where I'll raise pre 6 hands in a row!

I even 3-bet pre quite a bit, not necessarily with ATC but if I sense it's going to work often enough to be profitable I'll do it all day.

Here's my question (hoping for your opinions):

How much credit should I be giving the villains for adjusting to my style at these levels?

The reason I ask is I'm losing large pots because of villains actually having cards, i.e. on a hand where I've raised pre for the 4th hand in a row I'll have AJo in MP+1, 3 players will call, The flop will come A42r, I'll bet 2/3 of the pot and the villain will shove. My instincts tell me he's getting sick and tired of me stealing every *($(*#@( pot and is just raising to send a message. Well, in that case he had A4 and I lost a lot of money (about 2/3 of my stack). I know he could have also had AQ, AK, A2, 22 or 44 there as well (I typically assume people will 3-bet pre with AA), but that, at least in my opinion, is a VERY small percentage of the range a player will call with from late position.

Another example is I'll raise pre to 3bb for the 3rd or 4th time in a row and a villain will 3-bet shove. Again, I'll just assume he's sick of me being a bully and call, and he has KK. Again, I lose.

So, hoping I can actually make the question make sense, any advice on how to react to a re-raise, how to know if it's a strong hand vs. their "standing up to a bully"?
  • 7 replies
    • RasTweet
      Hi DalTXColtsFan

I just moved your thread to the no limit forum, where it suits better I think.

I'm a tight player myself, but I guess if you notice that people play back at you/adjust to your game you should change your game a bit.

If someone 3bet shoves on you though I don't think they'll bluff very often. They'll do it because you are a LAG and you will pay them off very often.

Well thats what I think. I'm curious what other people have to say!

• Targetme
      probably usually give them credit if being a lag is good its probably because their not adjusting
    • zumpar
      u should mix up your playing style... play loose like you do 50-70% of the time, but try play TAG-ish the rest of the time.

the AJ hand:

ofc he is gonna shove with A4 onthat flop cause against your playing style he is like always ahead and you, given that you play LAG-maniac style, will pay him off often with exactly that AJ-type of hand.

Cant really give you any advice how to play, other than mix it up, but know this:
      if players @ the table realize you play very loose, and then someone raises you in a pot, he probably has a very good hand

Or you could try playing LAG for first 15 minutes until everyone realizes what ur doing, and then nit up :) they will play you off with worse ;)
    • gadget51
      MY only contribution would be that you need to be very very good at hand/board and range reading to play LAG, it's tough at smaller limits because the villains don't understand it.
      Let's face it, if you played like a nit they'd still pay you off, they'd still try to bluff you at inappropriate times and they'd still check/call you down with 2nd pair.

Regards and have fun with this style,

• EmanuelC16
      Hi DalTXColtsFan,

Don't worry about them adjusting. You assume they are too tight which is why you play loose. If you start paying off their hands there is no point in playing loose since what you gain from stealing blinds you will lose when you pay off.

Keep it solid, steal and fold to raises when the indicate they have you beat. Don't bluffcatch vs 2-3 bluffs in their range when they have 80% value that beats you, like in the AJ on A42 example.

• DeMarcohsp
      ^^ Keep in mind that ranges do not equal frequencies.
    • DalTXColtsFan
      Thanks to all for the replies.

When I first started out playing ABC poker, one of my hard-and-fast rules was, "Do not call or reraise a flop raise with anything less than two pair unless you have reads or notes that villain will stack off with TPTK or less."

This doesn't seem to be such a bad rule for LAG play either. If villain raises the flop 3, 4, 5 times in 20 hands then you can say to yourself "There's no way he has a set or 2 pair all 5 times" and be ready to stack off with top pair, good or top kicker, but if it's a total unknown, wait for a better opportunity.