PokerStars roundtable 12-05-08

• LeeJonesPokerStars
      LeeJonesPokerStars
      Bronze
      Hi folks -
      Here's an update of what's going on at PokerStars.

Q: How's SCOOP going?

A:
      In the first day, we've blown out our numbers. To give you an idea:
      • 1L - Guar: $250K , Actual: $638K
      • 1M - Guar: $500K , Actual: $1.1M
      • 1H - Guar: $750K , Actual: $1.56M
      • 2L - Guar: $400K , Actual: $722K
      • 2M - Guar: $1M , Actual: $1.6M
      • 2H - Guar: $1M , Actual: $1.9M

And as most of you have heard, Isildur1 won #2M going away - taking down the $247K first prize with no deal and hardly breaking into a sweat.

Things are heating up and I hope you'll come join us.

[B]Q: Is there somewhere that people can gather to rail the events and discuss what's happening?

A:[/b] Yes. We're not doing SCOOP radio this year, but we've set up a Home Games club called the SCOOP Fan Club. It's club #634789, invitation code "scoop2012". Everybody can join and we're discussing what's going on at the club wall. I hope that there will be lively cheering sections on the rails of the big final tables throughout SCOOP.

Also, if you're a Twitter user, tweet to @pokerstars, and add #scoopfan to your tweet. If you ask a question or put a comment in the tweet, we'll carry it into the club and make you part of the conversation.

Q: What's going on with Zoom?

A:
      Well, we've just reduced the number of tables that a Zoom "pool" counts from four to three. So you can theoretically play in eight Zoom pools rather than six (or a combination of Zoom and regular tables).

I know a lot of people are asking about Zoom tournaments and SNGs. We're working on those, but I don't know when we'll deploy them. You'll almost certainly see them on our test site before they're on the main server.

Again, I'm around and happy to answer any questions you have about what's going on at PokerStars, how you think we can make the site better, anything.

Best regards,
      Lee Jones
  • 24 replies
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      "Again, I'm around and happy to answer any questions you have about what's going on at PokerStars, how you think we can make the site better, anything."

Hi Lee, thx for the updates.

I've had one suggestion for ring games on my mind for a while. It's small but should be very profitable in the long term and also good for the games.

When posting the blinds the order is: SB, BB, UTG, UTG+1 ... and so on.

I would like to see the order changed to: SB, BB, CO, HJ ... and so on.

Currently, when players join the table and find themselves outside the blinds (or the CO) they're rarely correct in entering the game immediately. They also have to act before the CO when posting the blinds.

Flipping it around means that occasionally the CO will post correctly giving the correct odds to other players at the table. Recreational players would be slightly more likely to correctly post outside the blinds. Observant players would find opportunities to post outside the blinds as well.

I think this bumps up the action a little at the tables and with more players dealt in I would suspect that means more rake.
    • LeeJonesPokerStars
      LeeJonesPokerStars
      Bronze
      Originally posted by datsmahname
      [...]

When posting the blinds the order is: SB, BB, UTG, UTG+1 ... and so on.

I would like to see the order changed to: SB, BB, CO, HJ ... and so on.

[...]
      I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you explain a bit more? Before you go to too much trouble, though, understand that the sequence of blind posting and player action is literally decades old. I don't think anything about that is going to change during my career, anyway.

Best regards,
      Lee Jones
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      Yeah, I agree that its not traditional. I am suggesting changing the order players post the blinds. Lets take an example.

I'm in the HJ and just joined the table with a few other players. 10 handed now.
      - After the blinds post MP1 has the option to post paying 1bb for 4 hands that orbit. Chooses to wait.
      - I'm next to act in the HJ and get 6 hands for 1bb that orbit. Its slightly better to pay 1.5 for 10 hands. If I don't know the players then I choose to wait.
      - Finally the CO chooses to post paying 1bb for 7 hands, slightly better than 1.5 for 10 hands.

The situation changes when we turn it around.
      - CO posts @ 1bb for 7 hands. Good deal.
      - I now post getting 2.5:1 on a random hand plus 6 hands. Also a good deal.
      - MP1 is getting 3.5:1 on a random hand plus 4 hands that orbit. In a LHE game, thats not bad.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Hi Lee,
      Would if be possible to add a quick join to all waiting lists to tables in a selected lobby view?
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hackett77
      Hi Lee,
      Would if be possible to add a quick join to all waiting lists to tables in a selected lobby view?
      And multiple filters, like on SnG seperate filter for HU, MTT, STT etc
    • LeeJonesPokerStars
      LeeJonesPokerStars
      Bronze

Hi Lee,
      Glad you asked. If you go look at our test server, you'll see the new version of the client. It will default to what's called "Group Mode" for tables. It looks like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You can see that clicking on the green "Seat Me" button puts you at the first available table.

And multiple filters, like on SnG seperate filter for HU, MTT, STT etc
      We've talked about something like that. Unfortunately, it would only be useful to a relatively small subset of our player population. As you can understand, we want to put much our development effort into features that help new and inexperienced players. For instance, the above feature really helps newbies - "I want to play $.05-$.10 NL Hold'em right now!"

But that doesn't mean we're not listening (or not working to accommodate) the veterans too. Keep the ideas coming - we certainly put in plenty of features that are specifically intended for power users.

Best regards,
      Lee Jones
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LeeJonesPokerStars
      Yes. We're not doing SCOOP radio this year
      How come? The last one was awesome !
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Good news Lee, Nice one. will this incorporate just tables selected via a filtered VPIP or Avg Pot size for example?
    • LeeJonesPokerStars
      LeeJonesPokerStars
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hackett77
      Good news Lee, Nice one. will this incorporate just tables selected via a filtered VPIP or Avg Pot size for example?
      Not at initial release, no. Again, we're trying to simplify the process for new and inexperienced players. The current interface, let's be honest, is fairly hostile to people who are new to poker and/or online poker. [1] Right now, we are putting most of our effort into making it easy for people to start playing at PokerStars.

You people (and by which, I mean basically everybody reading PokerStrategy) will figure out what you need and find a way to get it. And it's not like we don't want to give you what you want. But these days, we need to find a way to welcome more newcomers into online poker in general, and PokerStars specifically. Therefore, we're putting most of our development effort there.

I think you'll find that when it comes down to it, that will be better for everybody, including the serious amateurs and pros.

Best regards,
      Lee Jones

[1] And this is pretty much true across the industry.
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Hi lee,

Since zoom poker has been launched I switched to it from cash game and play it exclusively ever since. I am very happy with the game as it is, but I would like to propose a system of "quick notes" that could improve the experience.
      The actual system of taking notes is, imho, not the best for zoom poker since it tends to break a little the dynamics of the game, I mean, the time it takes me to write or read a note on a player, I could have played several hands (especially when multitabling).

I think that a fast notes system based on signs such as : !,#,$,*,+,- (or more elaborate ones) that could be cumulative with the color system and the standard notes would be a great addition to the whole thing.
      I think the signs could appear on the right side of the players and be limited to 3. The option could appear in the right click menu under the colors option and have a similar system of modifiable legend.
      This would complement the color system without making the hole thing too complex. Adding more colors is just confusing and there is an empty space on the right side of the player, why not using it?

With this system, it would just take a look to the player without losing focus on the action to know what kind of player I marked it to be.

Thanks for your attention.
      ++
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      You people (and by which, I mean basically everybody reading Pocket Fives)
      We're PokerStrategy. Poket Fives is the other forum with a red and white theme. :D
    • svendeucer
      svendeucer
      Bronze
      any chance?
    • LeeJonesPokerStars
      LeeJonesPokerStars
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      You people (and by which, I mean basically everybody reading Pocket Fives)
      We're PokerStrategy. Poket Fives is the other forum with a red and white theme. :D
      I am so embarrassed. Now I owe Ingrid a beer the next time I see her. This posting on multiple forums thing is hard :D

Best regards,
      Lee Jones
    • LeeJonesPokerStars
      LeeJonesPokerStars
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrkhaan
      [snip]
      I think that a fast notes system based on signs such as : !,#,$,*,+,- (or more elaborate ones) that could be cumulative with the color system and the standard notes would be a great addition to the [whole] thing.
      [snip]
      Yeah, there are lots of things we could do like this. But as I've said elsewhere, we're putting most of our development time into newbie-friendly features. We could tweak the software to add a couple of percentage points of happiness for the veterans, or we could make large sweeping changes that make the site far more welcoming for inexperienced and brand new players. Not only is that better for them, but ultimately it's better for you guys (the Poker Strategists).

As always, it comes down to an issue of programming and testing resources.

But equally as always, keep the ideas coming - you never know when you'll hit one that just blows our socks off.

Best regards,
      Lee Jones
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Please implement "sit out next bb all tables" to mobile poker. It is reallllly annoying when you have to try to sit out before the blinds hit you, especially if you are on the hand.
    • LeeJonesPokerStars
      LeeJonesPokerStars
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Anssi
      Please implement "sit out next bb all tables" to mobile poker.
      Hi Anssi -
      You make a good point; particularly on iPad, where you can play five tables at once, you'd want this feature. I've sent it over to our development team and will let you know what I hear.

Best regards,
      Lee Jones
    • LeeJonesPokerStars
      LeeJonesPokerStars
      Bronze
      re: "Sit out next BB on all tables" in Mobile...

I spoke to the development team, and it's currently scheduled for sometime this summer. As with any such thing, that could slip, but the point is that the mobile team agrees with you (and me :-) that this is an important feature; it will get in there sooner than later.

Best regards,
      Lee Jones
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Ok, thanks. Another thing, is there a plan to implement more tables for mobile poker? 4 Tables are not very much when I'm used to playing 16. Oh, and when is zoom coming mobile :) ?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Anssi
      Ok, thanks. Another thing, is there a plan to implement more tables for mobile poker? 4 Tables are not very much when I'm used to playing 16. Oh, and when is zoom coming mobile :) ?
      Zoom for Android is up I think. Just need some approval for the iOS from what I've read in a Romanian forum...