pot bet on river

• Solovirs
      Solovirs
      Bronze
      A common situation.
      You raise pf, s1 calls oop, than you cbet, opponent calls and an over card or a flush/str8 possibilitie opens up, he checks turn, you check as well, and on river he bets a pot or 1/2 bet, sometimes its a bluff, sometimes its not. How to decide when to call and when to fold?

I hope every1 got the situation
  • 5 replies
    • Vito992
      Vito992
      Bronze
      If you have no information on this player, I think it's better folding. Otherwise you should consider the stack size, blinds, position, stage of the tournament, the type of player and his range.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Very much depends on the opponent and of course on your hand ;)
    • Solovirs
      Solovirs
      Bronze
      On what kind of stats should I rely on making the decision?
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hi and sorry for my late reply. Had some work to do the last days and didn't find the time to cover the forums.

It's hard to focus on special stats. In general fishes are more likely to play strange lines and therefore you should give them a wider range if they play such lines. If you play it against a regular you have to look for hands he could possibly represent. If you don't find any he might try to float you out of the pot oop.

If you have nothing you can obv fold most of the times. The real decision has to be made if you have a mediocre hand. In these situations you have to follow your intuition sometimes. You should also take future game (f.e. looking at your stacksize after call/fold) and such things into consideration.

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • amanofhisword
      amanofhisword
      Basic
      hey,

It depends on the strength of your hand vs what you think he is value betting.

If he is bluffing you gotta figure if you can even beat his bluff.
      many factors are considered before you make the call or the fold like the history of previous hands and his level of desperation etc...

good luck at the tables