This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL25SH Two pair

• spadek
      spadek
      Bronze
      Hi! Just started out the session and opponent were relatively unknown. Some basic stats for the 70 hands we've played: 21/17/2,3 (VPIP/PFR/AFR).

Poker Stars $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $25.60
      BB: $25.35
      UTG: $42.68
      Hero (MP): $27.19
      CO: $26.90
      BTN: $25.75

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is MP with J :heart: Q :heart:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.75, CO calls $0.75, 3 folds

Flop: ($1.85) J :spade: Q :diamond: 5 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.18, CO calls $1.18

Turn: ($4.21) 8 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3, CO raises to $8, Hero calls $5

River: ($20.21) A :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $16.97 all in, Hero?
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello spadek,

That's a tough spot cause there can be so various situations:
      a) he has the nuts -> would make sense to raise? - yes, it could happen.
      b) he has some sets in his range which raise for value -> would he do that on dry board? - yes, still could be possible.
      c) he semi-bluffs -> but with what is he bluffing against us, what also is capable of floating the flop? T9/KT/AT maybe some Jx hands? - as long he seems to be rather passive side, not sure if he is capable of doing that.
      d) he has there slowplayed KK/AA which decides to raise for value vs Qx/draws. - once again we can't be sure on that.
      e) he raises Qx for value -> rather not cause it would be just turning his hand into bluff.
      f) has he Q8 in his range? - wouldn't assume that, at he best Q8s although those hands if he is more aggressive side preflop I'd expect to 3bet.

Therefore either Bet/Fold it or just get it in here which means Bet/Broke cause I wouldn't see him bluffing that often the river while he could easily just Check behind. With calling you also letting him to grab some cards which might improve his semi-bluffing range.

As played some of the semi-bluffing range which I assumed him semi-bluffing got there, Ax is most likely Checking behind so which means his range is towards what we beat -> pure bluffs only. Wouldn't see much sense of calling without any information.

Conclusion he can't represent much either so I doubt that he will have that many bluffs in his range and I'd even consider Bet/Folding on the turn as long the guy is also passive & without any dynamics.

Best Regards.
    • spadek
      spadek
      Bronze
      Thanks for inclusive feedback!
      My plan was actually to check/call the river if it was not an ace or a 9 because I figured KT would definetely be a part of his range and all the other hands he is raising are already beating me on the turn except KK+. Worse hands he would call my shove are KK+. KT would propably fold correctly.

QUESTION: He is unknown so it's pretty tough but, as played, don't you think I could call if the river was a blank? As you said he can't rep much and his value range is really narrow and if we put in KT it's like third of his range (JJ+,55,KTs,T9s,KTo,T9o). Don't you think he has KT here often enough and want's to continue when he bricks on the river?