Can someone please explain SNG EV?

• Dur73
      Dur73
      Bronze
      Coming from a cash game player who made the switch into SNG's, how the hell does the Ev work? I'm profiting with a 9.2% ROI in 500(small sample size i know) tournies but my EV line sucks. I noticed that every time i win a favored hand the Ev goes into the negative, and at the end of the tourney the winnings gets added to this sum. Am i really running 30 BI over ev, which is to say am i just that bad/heaterish?
  • 9 replies
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      HEM two?
      If so, I've(from a very small sample size) experienced the exact same thing.
      Explanation somebody?
    • Dur73
      Dur73
      Bronze
      Oh no HEM 1 lol, I'm not even saying its wrong i just want to understand it
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Jeff Hwang wrote an article on this exact topic. Google something like "Jeff Hwang EV article".
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I've moved this thread to our SNG Discussion board :)

Regards,
      Gary
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Well it might be that you are doing your decisions based too much on cEV? Especially close to bubble situations you might be extremely risk averse, because of ICM. But there is always some risk aversion also in early stage of sng. Meaning you might only need 40% equity to make some call from cEV view, but because of bubble you might need e.g. 60% equity to make profitable $EV call. To get some idea of these you could study with tools like ICM trainer or sng wizard.
    • Dur73
      Dur73
      Bronze
      See thats the thing, im trying to understand how much i can really look into EV as an accurate indication on my play. AI situations are much more complex in sng's then cash imo because your stack and the blinds are always changing.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, Dur73. I believe that this was discussed with one of our coaches(Pzhon) before. Long story short: EV should be very accurate once we get a good enough sample. So, yes, you can rely on it.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Originally posted by kurrkabin
      Hi, Dur73. I believe that this was discussed with one of our coaches(Pzhon) before. Long story short: EV should be very accurate once we get a good enough sample. So, yes, you can rely on it.
      Thank you.
    • mingdynasty
      mingdynasty
      Bronze
      That Jeff Hwang article is really good. Pretty much says its a useless stat because PT and HEM cant properly calculate multiway pots.