[NL20-NL50] NL25SH light 3bet J8s

• awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.25 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $35.49
      CO: $27.20 (VPP 22 / PFR 18 / C3B 30 / FCB 86)
      Hero (BTN): $25.00
      SB: $15.91
      BB: $14.91

SB posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has J:spade: 8:spade:

fold, CO raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $2.25, fold, fold, CO calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.85, 2 players) 7:heart: 8:diamond: 9:spade:
      CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.85, 2 players) 5:spade:
      CO bets $3.00, Hero calls $3.00

River: ($10.85, 2 players) 8:heart:
      CO checks, Hero bets $9.17, fold

While the guy doesn't fold that much to 3bets at this point, he does seem to play very straight forward on the flop, folding when he doesn't hit. I thus think that I can still 3bet him profitably with almost any hand - as long as he doesn't adjust.

On this flop, I'm not sure if betting or checking is the better play; I think I could be facing a raise from draws sometimes, while checking could possibly get me more value against his misses.

On the turn, I thus follow my plan and call his bet to re-evaluate river.

Now on the river, my question is about bet sizing. I was thinking for a while and with how dangerous the board is, I thought it best to polarize my perceived range. He would almost always think full house or straight here, so he might hero call more often. Especially since my play the other streets doesn't make a lot of sense in that line of thought. However, if I make a small bet, I think 8x is a bigger part of my range and he might have an easier fold with overpairs or 9x hands?
  • 1 reply
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

checking back flop seems fine. You may played back that low coordinated board and with showdown value you don´t mind turn your hand into bluff catcher.

I would not bet river that big. Likely he does not have anything and would c/f anyway, but if he has some showdown value then he would more likely fold close to potsize bet than small 3-5$ bet. You´re just not bluffing there A high so he does not call you light.

best regards,