Players per pot or pot average??

• noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Couldnt find any post about this so obvious question, so here goes.

When you are picking your tables on cash games, specifically full ring on the micros... what is more important to you? The % of players per pot, or the size of the pots?

I usually go with the biggest pots as 1 stupid player raising all the pots is the best profit for me but is this correct?
  • 8 replies
    • RazDirk
      RazDirk
      Bronze
      when the avg. player per pot % is high, it usually means the table is more fishy overall and if you're going with avg. pot size usually means the table is playing big pots. [Could be coolers in the last few hands or couple of major fish too] :>

Hope this helps :D
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      so which do you say is MOST important? of course they both are but which one do you go by first?

Another interesting point I dont quite get, I OFTEN see tabls with 50% players per pot, but absolutely tiny pot averages, is this an error or wtf is going on here? haha
    • Classified181
      Classified181
      Bronze
      I don't look to much in to the av pot size, as i pretty sure it's only averaged out over the last (x) amount of hands or (x) amount of time and there could be a couple of 100-200bb pots in there, so the av pot size can be bloated and is not a true indication of what's happeneing at the table. I defenately have my filters set up for % of players per pot and find anything above 20% at FR has enough fishy $ at it to be +Ev majority of the time and imo is more important than the av pot size.
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      % players per pot is high - fishy table, a lot of calling stations, loose maniacs etc
      avg pot is high - usually players who overvalue their hands, and tend to never fold AT on AJ876 boards and are prepared to bet/call 3 pot size barrels and an All In with that hand

i play SH, not FR, but i usually pick tables with the highest pot average and tend to play straight-forward preflop and postflop game. i dont really like tables with very high % players per pot, like 45+, cause of the retarded morons calling 3bets with 92s and sucking you out which just tilt me a freakin lot.

i play NL10 SH and the best table for me to sit in would look like this :

avg pot: $3.50+
      %per pot: 30-40
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi noz03, welcome to the forums!

I'm going to jump this over to beginner questions for you ok?

Best regards,

Mal/
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi noz03!

I usually go for the most players per flop. I used to pick the biggest pots, but when I moved up I noticed then there were a lot of regs on those tables as well. When I go for a lot of players per flop it means that there will be a lot of fish on the table.

BUT it also means you will get into a lot of multiway pots... If you play tight it shouldn't be a problem though.

RasTweet
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Yes you are very right, I guess just 1 huge pot could offset the average a lot! So glad I asked.

This leads to another question though, how do you change your style in different table types? For example how do you play different from the default ranges when you have more than half the table playing on the flop? Does it also mean I should fold my top pairs much easier as some fish might have a lucky straight or flush?

Right now I play the very default ranges, and just value bet top pair or better to the grave (in most cases)
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      I preflop to filter by VPIP rather than Players Per flop because the former includes all the limp/folders