How to improve reads

• tomthebom28
      tomthebom28
      Bronze
      Can anyone tell me how you can get reads on opponent without having stats of them, and you can improve those reads. I don't have a HUD, and i find myself in a lot of situations where i don't know what to do cause i don't know my opponent. I currently play nl2 at ipoker
  • 7 replies
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      When you don't have any info on an opponent, you dont have any reads. They don't magically come out of thin air. Having an idea of what to do comes from understanding general population tendencies (what people generally do at each particular limit) and then changing that as you go by taking notes on what they do that deviates from that.

At nl2 its not complicated, people are bad at poker so just valuetown people until you have all of their gambling discs.
    • cheeseblock
      cheeseblock
      Silver
      why u not use elephant? it has a hud and works on ipoker network, and it is free, and good.
    • tomthebom28
      tomthebom28
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cheeseblock
      why u not use elephant? it has a hud and works on ipoker network, and it is free, and good.
      Elephant can't be downloaded anymore since march, sadly
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      https://www.pokertracker.com/products/PT4/beta.php

It is free for now, not sure how fast they are thinking to release it, but until they do you can use it for free.
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Take notes, lots of them.

These will give you great information on each players tendencies and fast track your ability to read players.

Even with a HUD I take notes, never as many as I should but some is better than none. It is a great thing to get into the habit of doing.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tomthebom28
      Originally posted by cheeseblock
      Elephant can't be downloaded anymore since march, sadly
      Wow didnt know this, sucks. I used to use it till NL10, pretty decent software.

Anyone know the reason?
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Try this video:

Taking notes

The way I do it is:

firstly have fewer tables open than normal, play shorter sessions so you are more focused.

I find that you want to see tendencies to exploit:

lets keep it simple:
      :spade: who folds too much?
      :heart: who is calling too much?
      :diamond: who is raising to much

Also when hands go to showdown make sure you see what was taken to showdown using the hand replayer (if the site provides one) and what lines were taken.

Did someone take a weird line? Limp/3b QQ+ from UTG, O/R 92o UTG, 3b/shove 100BB 22. Anything unusual / exploitable.

I find it of particular use to see how opponents play their marginal hands. Lets say KJ/KQ on a K-hi board, do they raise or tend to call down when bet into? What type of board texture did they do it on? This should give you an indication of what type of opponent you are facing. Taking advantage of their tendencies is the next step:

Player types - how to get their money