[NL2-NL10] NL10 JJ facing shortstack c/rai on K98

• member001
      member001
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz, don't know whether you remember me from the beginners' course a while ago. I've been lurking not posting for a while due to stuff being pretty busy in real life. Maybe can get back into it a bit now. Hope all is well with you, anyhow.

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players

SB: $10.20 (102 bb)
      BB: $7.47 (74.7 bb)
      UTG+2: $7.55 (75.5 bb)
      MP1: $7.23 (72.3 bb)
      MP2: $3.68 (36.8 bb)
      Hero (MP3): $18.73 (187.3 bb)
      CO: $4 (40 bb)
      BTN: $11.23 (112.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J J
      MP2 posts BB OOP, 2 folds, MP2 checks, Hero raises to $0.60, 4 folds, MP2 calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.40) 8 K 9 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $1, MP2 raises to $3.03, Hero calls $2.03

Turn: ($7.46) 3 (2 players)
      River: ($7.46) 7 (2 players)

Results: $7.46 pot ($0.34 rake)
      Final Board: 8 K 9 3 7
      MP2 showed Q 9 and lost (-$3.68 net)
      Hero showed J J and won $7.12 ($3.49 net)

No stats on villain (playing on mobile app) but he seems like he can make moves. Earlier in the session he donked me 2/3 pot on Kxx flop and showed A-high bluff when I folded.
      In the current hand above he insta-checked the flop which kinda made me think he planned the c/r before seeing the cards. If he really had the goods here I think he would have paused for thought.

Ok to call against his stack with these reads, or not worth it in long run?

Thanks
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello member001,

Yeah, of course I do remember. How has it been so far? I am fine myself, just about to finish my master "hopefully", at least working on last thesis. :) So would have a lot more free time to play poker and whatever I want.

As long you have such reads that he is capable of making moves it will be tough to fold while he doesn't even have a full stack. Most likely I'd also Call it down for the given information.

Best Regards.
    • member001
      member001
      Bronze
      How has it been so far?

Good thanks, moved up to NL10 since last time I was active on the forums as you can see and, miraculously, +11bb/100 after 27k hands. The voice of Veriz inside my head helps a lot! I have the BR to move up again but I think I should get at least 50k hands under my belt to make sure I've mastered this limit and not just running hot. Do you agree or would you advise just having a shot and moving back down if it doesn't work out?

GL with the thesis, glad my studying days are over!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by member001
      How has it been so far?

Good thanks, moved up to NL10 since last time I was active on the forums as you can see and, miraculously, +11bb/100 after 27k hands. The voice of Veriz inside my head helps a lot! I have the BR to move up again but I think I should get at least 50k hands under my belt to make sure I've mastered this limit and not just running hot. Do you agree or would you advise just having a shot and moving back down if it doesn't work out?

GL with the thesis, glad my studying days are over!
      Thanks mate, I hope to finish it and then have free time for myself.

About either to move up is the case that you can still take a shot if you have enough of BR, you don't have to open always all the same tables. Play like 80% of lower limit and 20% higher limit or whatsoever maybe just 1 higher limit table.