Std dev

• Gantz189
      Gantz189
      Bronze
      Wondering if I could get some advice on what std dev means, how often does it change and what is considered "normal"

Interested in what std dev everyone's getting with the style you play.

Mines 56 bb/100 Playing 12/9 FR
  • 2 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hi,

86bb/100 for me at 6max playing a relatively tight style.

The higher your standard deviation the more "swingy" your results will be, that's why the looser you play the higher your Std Dev will usually be.

It also helps in determining probability of certain above or under expectation runs. I don't know the maths to do that but fortunately there's a simple tool to help with that: http://www.evplusplus.com/poker_tools/variance_simulator/

Cheers.
    • conquistadorrr
      conquistadorrr
      Bronze
      I seem to have a very low StdDev (over the last 9k hands, 8.08) so I would like to know more about it. Can someone explain to me how it's calculated and/or point me to an article. Manu gave a link to EV++ but there's something wrong on their website so it's not currently working.

I am building BR from 0 on Stars, currently playing FR NL2 20.89/9.36 and quite honestly, I seem to be doing good. 15.31 bb/100 and I am still trying to fix some aspects of my game to play even better at this level. If I didn't play first 2.5k in a way I don't like - the results would've been much better. At that point I decided to be concentrated when I play and even with some bad beats almost every time I play - my bankroll is going up.

So I am not complaining, I am just curious to know more about that stat.

EDIT: Ok, EV++ is working now so I'll check it out...

EDIT2: Apparently PT4 had a bug. When I updated to the latest version, my StdDev was 80.76 and I managed to find out enough about this stat on the EV++ website, as soon as it got back to functioning normally so... you can disregard this post.