Adjusting to extremely LP tables

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Hi all

Just finished playing a session where one of the tables was extremely loose and passive. My normal adjustments at said tables is to just play the minimal range and reduce my c-betting frequency / be more selective of c-betting board textures.

However, this table was towards the extreme. Now open limping small pairs 6 max is generally not profitable but the situation got me thinking whether it would be the lesser of two evils.

Take the following hand for example.

888 Poker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: $10.00
      CO: $3.83
      BTN: $15.87
      SB: $7.99
      BB: $3.52 51/1/1/0/27/97hands
      Hero (UTG): $12.86

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has 6:spade: 6:diamond:

Hero raises to $0.40, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.85, 2 players) 9:club: T:spade: 8:club:

BB checks, Hero checks
      Turn: ($0.85, 2 players) J:club:
      BB bets $0.30, fold

BB wins $0.81

I am by no means being results orientated here but even if the above board had come K52r I don't think that I get a c-bet through very often.

So.... should I open limp and call raises for set value à la FR or fold these hand from EP and open a tighter range. Just seems like a waste of money to open these hands and never get a fold postflop on any board texture.

I also understand that there are some textures that we can bet for value on, but obviously there are more of those that we can value bet on if I hold 88+ than if I hold 66+.

It's also not like I need a depolarized ( or merged? if that's right) range at NL10, most opponents are probably too busy figuring out what hand they have IMO.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hello muel294,

Missed this thread, did you post it somewhere else and it got moved here with the forum changes?

Limping is a nono as far as I'm concerned. Whatever hand is good enough to limp, is definitely good enough to raise.

What affects your judgement is not even the results in blinds you won (winnings) but in pots you won which is even worse! There are a reasonable amount of flops you can cbet for value with 66. Even if you only cbet when you flop a set or better when the pot goes 3-4way you still can get AI by river, more than making up for when you open limp and have a 4bb pot on the flop instead of 14bb.

If you think 66 and below is not a profitable open, just open fold. For complete beginners I recommended opening 77+ in EP in SH because of your problem in posftlop play but definitely not open limping.

Regards,
      Manu.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      thanks for the feedback

Just wondered whether its worth considering adjusting since I dont want to just be clicking buttons and taking "standard" lines.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by muel294
      thanks for the feedback

Just wondered whether its worth considering adjusting since I dont want to just be clicking buttons and taking "standard" lines.
      Not taking standard lines because they are standard is very good! :f_thumbsup:

Don't be afraid of playing too tight OOP (UTG especially) or too loose in BU. Imo, whoever says you should try to loosen up UTG just because you are too tight not giving any other reasoning, just your 7% EP open in HEM in a SH game is someone to be ignored. The same would go for someone who says opening 80% OTB (On The Button) is too much just because the percentage is high, having nothing else to back it up.

Feel free to come with any questions about standard line you have doubts on and I will try to explain more why the work. Standard should mean your default that is most likely correct. Once you have a couple of hands with someone you should already be thinking how can you do better than "standard".

Cheers.