MP1 Player4 ($4.06)
      MP2 Player5 ($6.61)- VPIP: 15, PFR: 8, 3B: 3, AF: 1.7, Hands: 1514
      MP3 William340 ($4.77)
      CO Player7 ($3.30) - VPIP: 33, PFR: 9, 3B: 0, AF: 4.0, Hands: 55
      BTN Player8 ($3.80)
      SB Player9 ($0.45)
      BB Player1 ($4.94)

Pre-Flop: ($0.06, 9 players) William340 is MP3 7:diamond: 7:heart:
      3 folds, Player5 raises to $0.16, William340 calls $0.16, Player7 calls $0.16, 3 folds

Flop: 7:spade: 2:club: 8:club: ($0.54, 3 players)
      Player5 bets $0.36, William340 calls $0.36, Player7 folds

Turn: 9:diamond: ($1.26, 2 players)
      Player5 checks, William340 bets $0.63, Player5 folds

Final Pot: $1.26

William340 wins $2.46 (net +$1.31)

Player5 lost $0.52
      Player7 lost $0.16

I might as well type in the chat box "I flopped a set!!"
      Player 5 typed when he mucked "set mining on my raise, huh?"
      I guess that's why there's the "Call 20" rule.
      sometimes, you just don't get paid.
      guess I should be gratefiul he didn't have TJ !

a few orbits later I tried again & missed & thought "I should float him & then stab at the turn and see if he lays it down again."

but I didn't.
  • 9 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by William340
      a few orbits later I tried again & missed & thought "I should float him & then stab at the turn and see if he lays it down again."
      yeah you should. being in position is awesome

i wouldn't really think that he soulread you. do you think he's really check/folding AA there? probably had just some overcards.

still there's a case for raising flop and betting turn stronger
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Uh, yeah, you don't always get paid when you flop a set...do you think you should? When you miss the flop do you put your whole stack in against a set?

I'd have raised flop myself, I don't think calling is horrible. Obviously you have to bet the turn, you should have bet more though. So he folded, so what? As Tomalac said, he didn't fold AA there.
    • William340
      William340
      Bronze
      just venting my frustrations, mrbeer.

and also trying to find out if I am comitting some error that is hurting my chances of getting paid, or if it's just that he has nothing.

Tomaloc - you are probably correct in that I should use my position to try to take away pots. at least from thinking opponents.
      of course, that kind is pretty rare at .01/.04
      me included sometimes.
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      just venting my frustrations, mrbeer.

and also trying to find out if I am comitting some error that is hurting my chances of getting paid, or if it's just that he has nothing.
      Set mining in position with 30:1 effective stacks has to be OK. Betting with monsters on wet boards instead of letting villains draw cheap has to be OK. We don't always get paid, in fact the annoying truth is the better our hand the less likely we get paid. Such is poker.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello William340,

Flop: Kind of have to raise the flop while it's super drawy and protect your hand. You have people behind you and who getting really good odds.

As played
      Turn: Bet the turn bigger, we still need to protect and do you plan to fold with your sizing?

Best Regards.
    • William340
      William340
      Bronze
      flop, as stupid as it sounds, I would have never thought about raising him on the flop. but I guess the pfr could be drawing/semi-bluffing.
      I have to get it in my head that taking down the pot right then is not a bad outcome ("scaring him out" w/ a raise right then) and stop worrying about figuring out how to get him to keep money in on 3 streets.

turn - I don't think I was planning to fold, but was not happy w/ 789 on board.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Just raise it, it's super drawy and there are too many cards which we don't want to see. :(
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      flop, as stupid as it sounds, I would have never thought about raising him on the flop.
      The best way to get paid is get money in the pot...the quickest way to get money in the pot is to raise. It's not always the best thing to do but honestly you could play 4NL successfully while raising every single time you flop a set, in fact if you did that I can guarantee you would make more money than calling every flopped set.
    • William340
      William340
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrbeer9999
      flop, as stupid as it sounds, I would have never thought about raising him on the flop.
      The best way to get paid is get money in the pot...the quickest way to get money in the pot is to raise. It's not always the best thing to do but honestly you could play 4NL successfully while raising every single time you flop a set, in fact if you did that I can guarantee you would make more money than calling every flopped set.
      well, I am looking to play my big hands faster & work on improving my betsizing.
      we'll see how it goes.