6max or fullring?

• 11 replies
    • qMantas
      qMantas
      Bronze
      If you are beginner I would recommend to start playing FR. Because it's easier. When you get used to FR games you can start mixing some SH tables. I think SH is more fishier because fish likes action. GL.
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      If 6max is fishier why is FR easier?
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      You can play very basic TAG at 2NL FR and people play back at you less. This makes it easier when you are a complete beginner. In 2NL 6-max people pull more crap on you and there are more maniacs, who are more profitable than loose-passive types but harder to deal with as a beginner.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

Full Ring is "easier" because the decisions you have to make are kept relatively simple at the micros. You will find yourself clicking the fold button A LOT waiting for premium hands. When you are only playing the top hands the decisions become easier because you don't get yourself into as many tricky marginal spots.

Once you start playing 6max the blinds come around a lot quicker and start eating away at you so you open your ranges a bit and get yourself involved in a lot more action.

I wouldn't recommend mixing Full Ring and Short handed tables though because they are very different and i imagine it would be pretty tricky to play your A game on both at the same time.

Regards
      Carl
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Originally posted by noz03
      If 6max is fishier why is FR easier?
      6max is fishier precisely because it is more difficult. Beginners can play FR OK but have difficulties in 6max and keep spewing out money. 6max requires looser pre-flop play which you have to compensate with shrewd post flop play.
      Fishes playing loose pre flop + Bad post flolp = $$$

As a beginner stick to FR until you can play post flop very well and also have discipline.
      Good Luck!
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      I see. Makes sense. Just wondering should you play your preflop differently also? I dont mean about range but how much you bet for example? As there are less players maybe smaller pre raises with big hands as there are less players to call you, or bigger pre raises as the blinds are worth more? I actually had no idea it was so different, just felt that FR was easier but didnt know why.
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Well, I have very little experience playing 6max but I guess you would play the top of your range more aggressively, while playing the bottom of your range very tight.

As there are less players maybe smaller pre raises with big hands as there are less players to call you...
      DUDE!!!! That's a hole in your play... Strong hands have more showdown equity than fold equity. You don't raise small because there are less players to call you and you're afraid that they might actually call you. You want them to call with weaker hands. You want more money in with stronger hands. You want to make them pay for trying to outdraw you.
      You evaluate the strength of your hand, the range of your opponents and make an appropriate bet.

Conclusion: You actually want people in the pot when you have good hands.

(If you want a straight answer; raise bigger with stronger hands if you think people will call you; if you think people might fold raise smaller)

I actually had no idea it was so different, just felt that FR was easier but didnt know why.
      The problem with 6max is that you end up in marginal situations very often. Much more than full ring games... ABC poker is not enough. You need good post flop play, Position awareness; range reads etc.

My advice stick to FR until you can crush it...
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi noz03!

There is some great advice in here!!

I would stick to FR when you just start of with poker! You will find yourself in a lot less of tricky places post flop and often it's easier to put ppl on a range in FR.

What you said about raising bigger/smaller pre is a NoNo IMO. Just raise pre always the same size. You can bet less post flop with a bluff and bigger with a value hand. In the micro's they won't notice...

Good luck with you game! And keep us up to date of course!!

RasTweet
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Raise pre the same size with all hands is good advice however if you play 2NL/5NL, you can add an extra 1bb if you have a good hand and there are loose-fishy players acting after you, which there should be if you picked your table.

Also, I steal from the button a lot, so I make all my button raises 2.5bb instead of 3bb. The steal does not need to work as often to show a profit that way. Unless I have aggrotards in the blinds and say KK, then I make a normal bet.

More so than your opening bet, make your 3bets bigger with premium hands against loose fish. Their biggest weakness is they can't fold. If they have QTs and open for 3bb, it doesn't matter to them whether you 3bet to 9bb or 12bb, they intend to see a flop.
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrbeer9999
      More so than your opening bet, make your 3bets bigger with premium hands against loose fish. Their biggest weakness is they can't fold. If they have QTs and open for 3bb, it doesn't matter to them whether you 3bet to 9bb or 12bb, they intend to see a flop.
      Ditto...
      Fishes don't know even care about bet sizes.
      Manipulate the pot yourself.
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      from my experience
      SH is much fishier since if you pot control your TP on the turn your almost always getting paid on the river with a small bet from middle pair or TP worse kicker since people try to level themselves into making hero calls.

In FR if your check calling three streets in FR / SH you almost always behind even with TPTK

if your calling a river bet, always ask yourself "what do i beat?"and try to replay the hand with the hand range that you beat if it makes sense.

since ranges are tigher on FR

if you can do this you'll do fine in FR then switch to SH after