On Game, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

UTG: $42.53 (85.1 bb)
      Hero (MP): $51.50 (103 bb)
      CO: $139.53 (279.1 bb)
      BTN: $48.50 (97 bb)
      SB: $58.78 (117.6 bb)
      BB: $46.75 (93.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A J
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $1.50, 2 folds, SB raises to $4.50, BB folds, Hero calls $3

Flop: ($9.50) 9 5 J (2 players)
      SB bets $7, Hero calls $7

Turn: ($23.50) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $12, Hero raises to $40 and is all-in, SB calls $28

Villain is very aggressive, VPIP 29/PFR 29/3bet 20. Resteal from SB and BB are through the roof 30 and 53. I wouldn't normally call AJo against a reraise, but I think it's the better play against this guy. I don't want to 4bet because I know he is going to shove a wide range and I don't feel comfortable stacking off with AJo. I smooth call the flop to give him some rope and evaluate on the turn. He cbets 66% and 33% on the turn. Is folding the turn an option against this kind of opponent?
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello circoflax,

For how many hands do you have the information here? But if you assumptions are correct and for more hands then sure, we can consider doing that. If rather not so many hands then 4bet/Folding over calling cause our Ace is very often dominated.

Best Regards.
    • circoflax
      circoflax
      Bronze
      200+ hands on villain so stats are more towards accurate than irelevant... Forgot to mention it. Maybe resteal is a bit off by sample size.
    • DailyDollarPro
      DailyDollarPro
      Silver
      Against this villain I'm snap 4bet/calling. Reason, he has sooooo much garbage in his range that he just has to fold all the time. And were calling a shove because even though he will have some hands in his range that dominate us (AK, AQ), we still have about 33% equity against a shoving range of 77+,AQs+,AQo+.

So basicley we make money when he folds (often) and we brake even when he shoves (getting about 2:1 odds to call a shove when 100bb deep). And because we are going to 4bet him with quite a wide range, he will be forced to either tighten upp his 3bets against us or push wider for value. If he starts shoving A:heart: 6:heart: type hands into us we are just going to print money from him with our tighter preflop range.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by circoflax
      200+ hands on villain so stats are more towards accurate than irelevant... Forgot to mention it. Maybe resteal is a bit off by sample size.
      Options:
      a) You know also about his 4betting range -> which could be towards the similar style as resteal with we can assume he is also shipping with worse AXs hands which might even 4bet/Broke and start to fight back against him and adjust accordingly.
      b) You call and play postflop to keep also his range and reevaluate the further action. Folding vs such a maniac is kind of too weak.
    • circoflax
      circoflax
      Bronze
      I had one hand before this one where the situation was reversed, I had JJ in the blinds and he raised IP, I 3bet, he 4bet, I shoved JJ, he thought a while and called 88.

Now if I 4bet AJ and he shoves, don't you think his range is more towards PP? I mean what is he going to put me on if not Ax where x>=T? My 4bet is for 6 max is 4.6
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by circoflax
      I had one hand before this one where the situation was reversed, I had JJ in the blinds and he raised IP, I 3bet, he 4bet, I shoved JJ, he thought a while and called 88.

Now if I 4bet AJ and he shoves, don't you think his range is more towards PP? I mean what is he going to put me on if not Ax where x>=T? My 4bet is for 6 max is 4.6
      If you had some kind of dynamics then sure, switching gears is also fine and keeping his weaker range in the play by which I mean weaker Ax/Jx hands.