Preflop: Hero is MP with A K
      Hero raises to $1.50, CO calls $1.50, 3 folds

Flop: ($3.75) 8 7 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, CO calls $2.50

Turn: ($8.75) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $6, Hero raises to $15, CO calls $9

River: ($38.75) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $35, Hero ?

Villain is unknown but seemed rather aggressive so far, under 30 hands. Played quite a few against him and folded some turns after he called flop - bet turn after I checked OOP. I decided to make that move on the turn to make him fold all pairs that would not 3bet pre and thought they were ahead of my overpair (represented). He thinks long and calls, so I can exclude sets and other strong made hands. The river is scarry for me if I had the overpair that I was representing so I check, plus I don't think he'll ever call with worse. Now he shoves and I get really confused, is he really trying to make me fold my overpair or I am just beat?
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello circoflax,

If villain is unknown then why do you go for Check/Raise on the turn? You can't really represent much with it. Rather 2nd barrel and would have the same fold equity. :)

Well, it's a big bluff or just nice value-bet. I would include all the sets in his range there which would be play the same way. So it's just up to missed OESD which we beat. And cause you played it this way then should ask yourself what do you beat or if he is capable of bluffing like that while I don't have any information on him. :(

Best Regards.
    • circoflax
      circoflax
      Bronze
      My assumption was correct about flop and turn, he had 45s and floated me with the gutshot, he was for sure calling the turn, was a good idea to check raise the turn, maybe better to bet higher and he would have folded OESD. Bad levelling from me on the river though....
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Originally posted by circoflax
      My assumption was correct about flop and turn, he had 45s and floated me with the gutshot, he was for sure calling the turn, was a good idea to check raise the turn, maybe better to bet higher and he would have folded OESD. Bad levelling from me on the river though....
      If you want to bluff I also think the ch/r is better:
      1) We get value from all his floats
      2) We create more FE than a bet
      3) If we just 2nd barrel than we only let him fold the floats, and we are already ahead of them.

Would still fold the river vs such a huge bet by the way. It's just not much a bluff... Because if he has a hand like 99, he is just checking behind.
    • circoflax
      circoflax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      Would still fold the river vs such a huge bet by the way. It's just not much a bluff... Because if he has a hand like 99, he is just checking behind.
      I know what you are saying, my problem is that I leveled myself to what I would do if I was in his shoes and had exactly 99-TT, T9, 56 in that spot, when the A hits. 95% I would shove to get my opponent off JJ-KK. I got very confused in this hand, it's still a must fold, but the only hand that makes sense is exactly what he had, 45.

My oppinion is that 99-TT does not have much showdown value after my check-raise on the turn.