Question for HU cash players

• Lukasz40i4
      I am torunament player and I would like to learn playing HU cash.
      What do you recommend - start playing HU SnG or HU cash from the beginning?

How to choose opponents (as PTR is unavailable)?

Any important books/videos etc.?

Any other advices?

Thx for help,
  • 7 replies
    • daun666
      I dont play hu cash but imo start with hu sngs just because you can learn to play hu at lower buy ins.
    • EmanuelC16
      From 40-50bb play to +200bb play without increasing blinds? That would be quite a switch! :)

I haven't played much HU cash or HU SNGs but my thinking is being a tournament player it's best to start with HU SNGs and also include some 6max cashgames on the side. It will be extremely dfificult to correctly play 200bb stacks when you are used to ~40bbs.

As far as videos are concerned, there are quite a few here for both HU SNGs and HU cash from players like TwiceT, ColinMoshman and Daniel 'junglemandan' Cates, just do a search in the video section and you will find them.

• ShaQQ
      Depends on how comfortable you feel playing cash, I wouldn't jump straight into HU, probably play 6max, read / watch a ton of content on both 6max and HU to get used to various spots and making the transition from 6max -> HU smoother.

How to choose opponents? Play them :) Accept that everyone can be exploited and develop lines vs all opponents.

I'm sure there will be enough content here.

In terms of any advice, play smart and stay grounded. Value spots are the same, SD value is more important, and identify your opponents correctly, adjusting accordingly.

PS-- Also open your button range :) In terms of cash or SNG, probably both, but aim to develop a solid cash game.
    • nefarious26
      Husng are pretty good at micro and you wont get murdered by the rake as its pretty brutal on the micro cash tables,

but if your looking to learn my advice would be play the cash tables and don't worry about the rake, play nl 0.5 or 0.10 your looking for experience not profit but obviously its a bonus,

watch some hu vids and get a default range and then make adjustments to different player types,

i have not watched any hu vids on pokerstrategy but i guess there will be some pretty good ones

i watched a video series by jay Krantz (prinnyraid) a few years ago on his site which was pretty cool
    • Castle93
      was a tournement player and switched to cash, i also like playing HU SnGs occasionally, my advice would be follow what others have said, play some 6 max cash, get good at that and get used to playing 100BB+ stacks, and when yu get the hang of it, try HU
    • Lukasz40i4
      Thx for all replies.

I played quite a lot of FR nl50 cash with quite decent winrate, so I'm not terrible playing deepstacked. But my main game is MTT, but I would just like to try sth different.

Do you still think that I have to learn 6-max before trying HU? Is 6-max that much different than FR?
    • nefarious26
      obviously the ranges are wider in 6max than full ring,
      in an ideal world the best way to learn poker would be start off at HU then move to 6MAX then on to fullring