This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] FR2 ZOOM AKo nutdraw

• Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      PokerStars - $0.02 NL ZOOM - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $0.78
      SB: $1.98
      Hero (BB): $2.59
      UTG: $2.30
      UTG+1: $2.19
      UTG+2: $2.03
      MP: $3.33
      MP+1: $2.58
      CO: $1.97

SB posts SB $0.01, Hero posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has A:diamond: K:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, MP+1 raises to $0.08, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.17, 2 players) 8:diamond: 2:diamond: 7:diamond:
      Hero checks, MP+1 bets $0.14, Hero raises to $0.42, MP+1 calls $0.28

Turn: ($1.01, 2 players) 4:heart:
      Hero bets $0.63, MP+1 calls $0.63

River: ($2.27, 2 players) 4:diamond:
      Hero bets $1.46 and is all-in, fold

Hero wins $2.19

any other way to play this? :D
      i'm not into 3betting preflop because i'm a nit and vs unknown i don't want to turn AK into a bluff, would rather do it with AQ (does this make any sense? :P )
      and c/c river should suck, because i think he checks behind his entire range that gets to the river there... even if i don't really expect him to snapgive me the money :D
  • 3 replies
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      I would rather 3-bet pre vs an unknown open from MP+1, it's generally ahead of his range.

Sorry no, doing with AQ and not AK doesn't make sense...at least against an unknown. You could maybe justify it against someone who folds a lot to 3-bets, so you 3-bet your junk and call with your best hands to extract more value...but then I'd rather call with AQ as well.

In any event being OOP I like 3-betting good hands when we think we're ahead of their range because I don't mind taking down their bet and it's easier to play a bigger pot.

I don't think calling is a big mistake though. I usually call with AK against UTG bets from reg types for example, that could be overnitting on my part maybe.

Hand looks good, shame he didn't call with K-high flush :(
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      Originally posted by mrbeer9999
      I would rather 3-bet pre vs an unknown open from MP+1, it's generally ahead of his range.

Sorry no, doing with AQ and not AK doesn't make sense...at least against an unknown. You could maybe justify it against someone who folds a lot to 3-bets, so you 3-bet your junk and call with your best hands to extract more value...but then I'd rather call with AQ as well.
      exactly! "someone who folds a lot to 3bets" is typical FR2 zoom unknown weaktight player.

actually i hate to 3bet these hands OOP, i rather 3bet hands like suited connectors which play pretty easily.
      from blinds i think i most often call AK-AJ and 3bet lower aces as a bluff (mostly for blocker value), also they usually play so face up when calling 3bets that i don't run into that many problems :P
      AK-AJ still play pretty well for 3bets in position though.

i wonder how profitable it can be played that way and i wonder if it makes a lot of sense :D "been working for me"...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Tomaloc,

Preflop: Calling is totally fine here and keeping his range even wide. If we 3bet then we have to turn our hand into bluff. :)

As played
      Postflop: Like your play here and most likely I'd play the same way. We might even able to count all the overcards as outs and of course nutFD.

Best Regards.